Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:15 PM   #1
diogosgp
macrumors newbie

Learning how to code Mac

Hi guys,
I'm reading Mac programming for absolute beginners O'Reilly. Some times it's a lit bit confused but I'm still reading.
When I finish this book, I'd like a book that teach us how to code using the interface and examples from the real life.
Do you know if there is any book like that?

Cheers,
Diogo
diogosgp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:48 PM   #2
jiminaus
macrumors 65816

Perhaps the 4th edition of Hillegass will be out once you're done with Mac programming for absolute beginners?

http://www.amazon.com/Cocoa-Programm.../dp/0321774086

BTW Hillegass has been busy. He's co-authored two other to-be-released books. Advanced Mac OSX Programming and More Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X. I look forward to reading them.

Cocoa Recipes for Mac OS X (2e) is another recommendation. It pretty much develops a single app over the course of the book, showing incrementally how the functionality is built up.

Last edited by jiminaus; Jun 26, 2011 at 10:54 PM.
jiminaus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:56 PM   #3
lfc
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminaus View Post
Perhaps the 4th edition of Hillegass will be out once you're done with Mac programming for absolute beginners?

http://www.amazon.com/Cocoa-Programm.../dp/0321774086

BTW Hillegass has been busy. He's co-authored two other to-be-released books. Advanced Mac OSX Programming and More Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X. I look forward to reading them.
4th edition? Damn, I just finished the 3rd, it was really outdated but thankfully only a small amount was unusable. If your going to get that (which I strongly recommend), definitely wait for the 4th edition.

In the mean time, this book (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1934356514) is excellent and even better for beginners. It uses real world type examples, just like the approach Hillegass took. I would read this first and then Hillegass'.
lfc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2011, 11:33 PM   #4
diogosgp
macrumors newbie

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfc View Post
4th edition? Damn, I just finished the 3rd, it was really outdated but thankfully only a small amount was unusable. If your going to get that (which I strongly recommend), definitely wait for the 4th edition.

In the mean time, this book (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1934356514) is excellent and even better for beginners. It uses real world type examples, just like the approach Hillegass took. I would read this first and then Hillegass'.
Thank you guys very much.
So you recommend that I finish the book I'm reading first.
Some times I get confused because O'Reilly teaches a lot of code but how on earth I'll memorize them. In my opinion it'd be easier if he gave more real world examples.
Cheers
Old Jun 27, 2011, 12:16 AM   #5
jiminaus
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogosgp View Post
Thank you guys very much.
So you recommend that I finish the book I'm reading first.
Some times I get confused because O'Reilly teaches a lot of code but how on earth I'll memorize them. In my opinion it'd be easier if he gave more real world examples.
Cheers
Your goal shouldn't be to memorizing chunks of code. Your goal should be to really understand the concepts behind the code. The code is there to demonstrate and reinforce the concepts.

Another goal you should have is to develop your research skills. If you know how to find information, than you don't need to memorize it. No-one has the whole of the Cocoa libraries in their head. The difference between an efficient and inefficient programmer is, in part, their ability to effectively find answers to their questions and solutions to their problems.

Programming is an art. It is creative. Your will never have or be able to find chunks of code that will solve all your problems.
jiminaus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2011, 12:35 AM   #6
diogosgp
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminaus View Post
Your goal shouldn't be to memorizing chunks of code. Your goal should be to really understand the concepts behind the code. The code is there to demonstrate and reinforce the concepts.

Another goal you should have is to develop your research skills. If you know how to find information, than you don't need to memorize it. No-one has the whole of the Cocoa libraries in their head. The difference between an efficient and inefficient programmer is, in part, their ability to effectively find answers to their questions and solutions to their problems.

Programming is an art. It is creative. Your will never have or be able to find chunks of code that will solve all your problems.
Yeah I know. It's impossible to memorize all the codes. But that's why I want a book showing real examples. It'll be easier to learn.
Thanks guys
Old Jun 27, 2011, 04:58 PM   #7
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogosgp View Post
Yeah I know. It's impossible to memorize all the codes. But that's why I want a book showing real examples. It'll be easier to learn.
Thanks guys
Even the "real examples" may not resonate with what you want to do.

A good exercise for any programming book you read is to try and write some toy code of your own to use the principles that were taught.

e.g. if loops were taught adapt the sample code and concepts to some loop from your world.

B
Old Jun 27, 2011, 08:16 PM   #8
diogosgp
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by balamw View Post
Even the "real examples" may not resonate with what you want to do.

A good exercise for any programming book you read is to try and write some toy code of your own to use the principles that were taught.

e.g. if loops were taught adapt the sample code and concepts to some loop from your world.

B
Yeah, that's what I'm doing.
What I reckon that's difficult is to find information on the documentation library. But it's probably because I'm a beginner.
Cheers
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:44 PM   #9
cerote
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfc View Post

I used this book also. Very good starters book.
cerote is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:21 PM   #10
diogosgp
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerote View Post
I used this book also. Very good starters book.
It is very good. I've just finish the dictionary and sets chapter. Very interesting.
I'll start reading the next one which containnts the explanation on how to create classes.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 10:17 AM   #11
phantom5251
macrumors regular

Xcode 4 for a beginner?

Following along with this thread, now that Xcode 4 is out, are there any good books out there that utilize this for absolute beginners? I've never personally programmed before, but would like to get started. I have Xcode 4 on my Mac at the moment. Is it recommended for a noob to get rolling on Xcode 3, since most books at the moment deal with that? I guess my thought is that if 4 is out now, that it would make more sense to get going with that? I see Kochan's book integrates Xcode 4 now.
phantom5251 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2011, 12:30 PM   #12
Mitchelino
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom5251 View Post
Following along with this thread, now that Xcode 4 is out, are there any good books out there that utilize this for absolute beginners? I've never personally programmed before, but would like to get started. I have Xcode 4 on my Mac at the moment. Is it recommended for a noob to get rolling on Xcode 3, since most books at the moment deal with that? I guess my thought is that if 4 is out now, that it would make more sense to get going with that? I see Kochan's book integrates Xcode 4 now.
Although I haven't gotten it yet, I'd suggest Kochan's book. I've heard many good things about it.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming