Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoshuaMars

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
About to buy a new IMAC and trying to work out which would be more beneficial for me. Wanting to do video editing mostly. No gaming.

a) Go up to an I7 from I5
or
b) Go up to 8gig from 4gig

Thanks in advance.

MARSY

Nov 28, 2010
located
Get the i7, as you can upgrade the RAM later on when you have the funds.
It also depends what editing application you use with what kind of footage, as iMovie, Final Cut Pro (not X) and Avid MC are still 32-bit, thus not able to use more than 4GB of RAM.

Barnzee

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2010
Oak Harbor, WA
Never buy ram through apple its overpriced. buy it from crucial, newegg, OWC, or something like that. I would pick the better CPU, and upgrade the RAM later myself.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Go with the i7 Apple overcharges for ram, and you can upgrade that later. Plus for now 4GB should be enough.

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
Upgrade the processor to i7. Apple's RAMs are overpriced, you can get it from Crucial or Newegg.

ann713

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2008
California
Get the i7 at checkout as the processor cannot be upgraded later on. The ram is easily obtainable in the future, as needed.

ghostlyorb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
Virginia, USA
when buying my new MBP.. I got every upgrade. I know I could have gotten the upgrade cheaper somewhere else.. but since I put it on the financing card.. and with the student discount... I didn't feel too bad about it. My friend just upgraded his 2011 MBP to 8GB ram for $80 on NewEgg.

Dwee8le

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2010
Amsterdam, Holland
a) Go up to an I7 from I5
or
b) Go up to 8gig from 4gig

Simple question = simple answer. Always go for a better processor. You can change the amount of RAM in almost all iMacs, Macbooks, Macbook Pros of every generation, but you cannot change the CPU, so choose the best CPU you can afford.
This rule is NOT for the Macbook AIR though, because the RAM is soldered to the motherboard on that one, so you have to choose the one with the right amount of RAM for your use.

But again, for an iMac? Always go for the better processor! Buy one cup of coffee less every day and buy another set of 4GB RAM in a month or so :eek:

SPBMacintosh

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2011
the processor cant be changed whereas the ram can
signature_SmileSPB.jpg
that makes it simple. get the i7 and then later, IF need be, buy some ram but not from apple, get it from places listed above

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I would agree with everyone here....get the i7, because you won't be able to upgrade your processor later, and you can always add more RAM when you have the funds later. You will be able to enjoy the speed of the i7 and run pretty much everything for the time being (save heavy Adobe use, Pro Editing, etc that needs the RAM)...you can always upgrade to 8GB or 16GB for a couple hundred bucks later on...I am about to get the new iMac as well for my office, and I am going with the 3.4GHz i7 model, and I will upgrade the RAM later too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.