Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Hi all,

Having issues installing the 10.6.8 update to a few Macs here, and I suspect that it is a problem with the home network but didn't realise this was actually possible. Two MacBook Pros 5,1 (Late 2008); iMac 7,1 (Mid 2007) and iMac 11,2 (mid 2010 - this was only purchased brand new yesterday, making this even more frustrating!) are all having issues.

Across all computers, when downloading the update through Software Update, things appear to download just fine, but upon restarting and installing, we are given "An error occurred during installation." and "None of the selected updates could be installed.". I have tried multiple times on each computer and it does this every time.

So I thought the Combo Update might be something that would work. This time, "MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.8.dmg couldn't be opened" with either "image data corrupted" or "invalid checksum" (varying results). Again, I tried multiple times (downloading the file on each computer rather than sharing a seemingly corrupt file between them) and no progress.

With all four computers sharing the issue and after reading a suggestion in an Apple Discussion I suspect there is something going wrong with the network.

Is this even possible? I haven't heard of a network affecting downloads in this way before. Also seems strange because the rest of the internet connection is unaffected and other .dmg files download and open without any issues.

Is this going to be a case of downloading the Combo Update on a different network and the passing it to the other computers, or is there some other way around this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I could have sworn that other .dmg files worked before!

Have just tested downloading iTunes and Quicktime from the Apple website - iTunes also returned the 'invalid checksum' error when opening the .dmg, while Quicktime opened just fine.

Also tried downloading Google Chrome as well and now I get "disk image couldn't be opened - not recognized".

This could be a fun one! :rolleyes:

Mickoolz

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2011
Have you found an answer?
I'm having the exact same problem with my Macbook. Tried downloading software updates and they keep failing with message "An error occurred during installation."
So I tried the 10.6.8 combo update aswell and it download but when mounting the disk image I get the same msg "Invalid Checksum"
Most frustrating.

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Have you found an answer?
I'm having the exact same problem with my Macbook. Tried downloading software updates and they keep failing with message "An error occurred during installation."
So I tried the 10.6.8 combo update aswell and it download but when mounting the disk image I get the same msg "Invalid Checksum"
Most frustrating.

I did manage to solve the problem the other day (sorry, should have updated this thread!), just by heading over to a friend's place and downloading the combo update there. It opened and installed correctly on all our home computers, and after that all the other program updates and then Lion also downloaded and installed correctly too.

So if its possible, just head around to a friend, family, or public network and try downloading the combo update. Seems it may be a problem with some peoples' networks or service providers.

Hope that works for you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.