Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RebeccaL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2011
Hi guys. Would like to know your experiences an opinions on these two IM apps for Mac.

Here is my background: I have not used IM on the Mac, I do use Pidgin on Windows and Trillian on iPhone. I plan on switching full time to Mac (right now part time user) and would like your opinions on these apps.

Also does anyone knows how to convert chat logs between clients? There was a program chatlogconverter but the site is down.

Thanks.

logandzwon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Hi guys. Would like to know your experiences an opinions on these two IM apps for Mac.

Here is my background: I have not used IM on the Mac, I do use Pidgin on Windows and Trillian on iPhone. I plan on switching full time to Mac (right now part time user) and would like your opinions on these apps.

Also does anyone knows how to convert chat logs between clients? There was a program chatlogconverter but the site is down.

Thanks.

-Adium works very much "mac-like." It behaves and looks great. However, it has pretty much been abandoned. 1.4 was released 10/31/2010 and only minor bugs have been addressed since then. Even for beta the newest is just 1.4.3b. There is no plans or resources to add A/V anything.

-Pidgin will work exactly the same as it does on windows, which is to say that while it works well, it is not "Mac-like."

-Personally, I went back to iChat about a year and half ago. There is a 3rd party add-on called chax that makes ichat behave a little more organized.

Also, iChat is the only one of the three that has A/V stuff working.
As far as longs, I've tried to convert. I'd give up on converting the logs. Just archive the old ones somewhere.

RebeccaL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2011
Thanks logandzwon.

-Adium:

That's bad. I heard many times that Adium was the best Mac IM. Many great free apps have ended up like this untill they become officially abandonware.

-Pidgin:

I didn't knew there was Pidgin for Mac, where can I find it? On Windows it does not look native either, it used Gtk that makes it look out of place anywhere except on Linux/Gnome.

-iChat

I like iChat but my friends are mostly on MSN, FB, and Yahoo messenger (some even still use myspace IM :eek:) So I am limited to multi protocol IM apps.

jive turkey

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
I'm not sure Adium has been "pretty much abandoned." They expanded the development team a few months ago so they are continuing to work on the project. I agree that they haven't added much lately, but really, what is there to add outside of bug fixes? It is chat and it works. People would like audio and video, and the long stated position of Adium is that they are waiting on libpurple (the force behind Pidgin), then they can port it. I am not sure if that has changed or not.

Regarding transferring logs and other issues, or to just learn more about it, you might want to check the Adium forums:

http://forums.cocoaforge.com/viewforum.php?f=13

Apparently in Lion, iChat will have a unified chat list. Depending on what protocols you use and how much customization you'd like, that might be the best choice.

copper

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2011
Hi,

I have recently switched to Mac and have installed pidgin on my mac. Download it from http://sourceforge.net/projects/pidgin-macosx/

Have been having some difficulties locating where can I transfer my old pigdin logs on the mac. Can anyone please help where can I locate the pidgin(mac) libpurple location.

Thanks.

CT

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.