Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

biohazard6969

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
toronto canada
hey, ok, so i plugged my ipod shuffle into my 12" powerbook G4, and right away i got the warning message where the screen goes grey and it says "you need to restasrt your computer. hold down the power button for several sesconds or press the restart button" so i did, and ran an fsck on the bootup. once i finally got back up and running, i looked at activity monitor and it looked like this (see thumb) i think theres something wrong but i don't know wat, or wat to do about it, i found the file causeing all the blue bars, it was called kextcache, so i force quit it and restarted again, but it just came up again....help plz

Attachments

• Picture 1.pdf
    90 KB · Views: 122

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
First of all run disk utility and check permissions to see if this clears up your problem.

Otherwise ascertain if "kextcache" is indeed the problem. Run the find command and set the search to search everywhere. Then add to the search parameters to include hidden items. Write down where the files are located since they are in a hidden directory removing "kextcache" may cause further problems. Then create a new folder to move "kextcache" to then restart and see if the problem persists. If it does or new problems develop return "kextcache" to its original location. Otherwise just archive it with stuffit.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Before removing "kextcache" which after looking at Apple technical documents may be very important try this.

Go to /System/Library/Extensions and delete iPodDriver.kext the extension may be damaged and deleting it works for clearing up some other iPod problems.

kg9ov

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2005
In front of a computer...
velocityg4 said:
First of all run disk utility and check permissions to see if this clears up your problem.

Otherwise ascertain if "kextcache" is indeed the problem. Run the find command and set the search to search everywhere. Then add to the search parameters to include hidden items. Write down where the files are located since they are in a hidden directory removing "kextcache" may cause further problems. Then create a new folder to move "kextcache" to then restart and see if the problem persists. If it does or new problems develop return "kextcache" to its original location. Otherwise just archive it with stuffit.

Removing kextcache would most likely be very bad. From the kextcache(8) man page description:

The kextcache program creates or updates kext caches, which are used to
speed up kext loading operations and to prepare kexts for inclusion in
such media as device ROM.

There are three kinds of kext cache. The first is the mkext cache, which
contains the info dictionaries and binary files for an arbitrary set of
kexts. Mkext caches are used during early system startup to load drivers
essential to mounting the root filesystem and providing basic hardware
services.

I'm no Mac OS expert, but not being able to mount the root filesystem on a UNIX-like OS is a very, VERY bad thing...

-Tony

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.