Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smacman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2006
I've been using an iPhone 4 since launch, however lately the gadget beast inside me has been getting awful bored. Recently while pondering how to spend a hefty overtime check, I decided to treat myself to an HTC Sensation Android device. Long story short, both devices have their strengths and weaknesses (beaten to death on these forums I think..).

The truth is, I wouldn't want to give either device up. In fact, I've been swapping sim cards between the two devices every few days (thank god for google sync)..

Just wondering if I am alone in this bizarre behavior...

vkuber

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2010
I currently use my iPhone 4 as my work line and have an HTC EVO as my personal line. Waiting for the Blackberry 9900 (Bold) to come out and will use that going forward for work (battery life) and then use my iPhone for personal use when that time comes.

Last edited:

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
I swap my iPhone SIM card back and forth between my Samsung Galaxy S2 all the time. Just get the SIM card adapter and it works fine.

yourmother

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
Japan
I swap my iPhone SIM card back and forth between my Samsung Galaxy S2 all the time. Just get the SIM card adapter and it works fine.

As I am thinking of switching to a s2, I am really curious to know what features draw you back to the iphone 4 and vice versa? In other words why do you use both instead of just one?

kenypowa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2008
somewhere
The truth is, I wouldn't want to give either device up. In fact, I've been swapping sim cards between the two devices every few days (thank god for google sync)..

I have rooted Nexus One and iPhone 4 as well. :D
Android is the primary phone, whereas iPhone serves as an entertainment device. Nothing wrong with owning the two best platforms.

Carl G35c

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2008
Yes, I have an iPhone 4 with ATT and a HTC Thunderbolt with Verizon.

to be honest I use my iPhone more for apps and games, but since I am in a 4G LTE area I use the Thunderbolt for web browsing or streaming (it is damn fast).

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
I have an iPhone 4 and I have Nexus S

The only feature that really bugs me on the iPhone is the lack of google navigation. It is really handy on the go.
Also, nexus S has built in hotspot app that you can use at no extra charge from carriers.

Just as much as I love Galaxy S2, the device isn't for me because it has touch wiz on it. I don't like any skins on android phone. I want to experience the Android OS as it is.

Bottom line, I will never buy any android phone with any skin. So, when Nexus S prime or w/e comes out, I will upgrade to that.

TheUndertow

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2011
I have an older HTC Hero with Droid and the last two revs of iPad.

Going to pick up the iPhone 5 for myself (and leverage my iTunes library) and let my wife keep using the Droid.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
As I am thinking of switching to a s2, I am really curious to know what features draw you back to the iphone 4 and vice versa? In other words why do you use both instead of just one?

The SG2 is super high performance compared to the iPhone 4 and has a screen to kill for. The faster CPU makes the SG2 a whole new experience. Put that in the iP5 and it will be really nice. There is enough Android software out there for my purposes and the Apple Apps are high in numbers but low in quality or need! The best of Apple Apps are now being done by Android, the rest are not worth the space on your device.

BUT, I do like the OS on the iPhone because I have used it so much. The first week or two the SG2 is the clear winner but then you start to miss what you liked about Apple.

What both device STILL LACK?

Notification LED and better notification, period. I guess my Blackberry days have for ever spoiled me as neither of these devices come close to what Blackberry did for notifications!:(

JustLeft

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
iPhone4 and a Nexus 1 for me. Once iOS5 comes out the N1 will likely see decreasing use. Will never sell the N1, with the OLED screen and the dock it makes a great alarm clock. Only issue is that it can't keep time worth crap when it isn't activated through the cell network.

polbit

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2002
South Carolina
Hmm, I just switched to Verizon iPhone 4 from T-Mobile N1, and I wish I could swap SIM cards... Miss my N1 a bit, still one of the best Android phones out there, especially with CyanogenMod 7. And talk about notifications! The nice, big trackball with assignable colors to different events was awesome, probably single biggest thing I miss now on the iPhone.

Polbit

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
iPhone 4 is my personal phone and my work got me a Droid X. I like the apps on the iPhone way more and the elegant OS. I like the big screen and the increased freedom for customization & personalization on Android. Both are solid devices but I still prefer the iPhone.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I'm dual wielding an iPod Touch and Nexus S.

I don't need 2 phones and the wireless access point on the Nexus lets me share an internet connection with the iPod if needed so as far as mobile platforms go, I'm set!

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
While I'm certain I'm in the vast minority here, I'm actually using both and iPhone 4 and a Samsung Focus (WP7). I've played around a bunch with Android devices and nearly got a Nexus S but just personally not a fan of Android. I wanted to give WP7 a go and was able to pick up a barely used Focus on the cheap. Windows Phone 7 is refreshingly different--like the Facebook integration and Live tiles but it is still, IMO, not yet ready for prime time (though Mango looks like a huge step forward). My iPhone 4 is still my main phone (use Focus when I'm going anywhere a phone is more likely to get damaged, i.e. the beach) and I'll never move completely to WP7 but am curious to see how it changes/grows over the next year.

smacman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2006
Wow.. Nice to know I am not alone. I'm starting to think the best combination is the HTC Sensation used in conjunction with my iPad 2. Best of both worlds..

rml4uk

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2008
I've had whichever version of the iPhone is the most current since the original came out and I'm bored with iOS (have been for awhile actually). My Android device is a Motorola Atrix. I like the hardware a lot but it sucks how AT&T has basically crippled it by "not turning on HSPA+". This is actually the second time I've been bored enough with iOS to switch to Android. Last time I sold my iPhone 4 and bought a Samsung Vibrant, which I broke, so I sold it for parts and bought a Captivate. I love the 4" screens that all three Android devices have on them but Android just flat out isn't as polished as iOS and it's hard to beat the build quality of the iPhone 4. Also, I've always loved how Apple products are very intuitive - you think you should be able to do something a certain way, and guess what, it works that way! Android just isn't at that point yet. I'm pretty pumped about the Atrix Gingerbread update though.

*One thing I have noticed is that everyone who has posted on this board that has an iPhone and an Android device has a high end device. Not sure what that means, just thought it was interesting.

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
I don't own anything Android but I do a lot of SIM swapping from my stock iPhone 4 to my jailbroken 3Gs. I love BiteSMS, SBSettings, Winterboard and the emulators. Sometimes I just need to go back. :D

Thinking about picking up a used Android device soon though; I do a lot of buying and selling of cell phones and I'm sure I could even make money if I decided not to keep it. Any recommendations for a good GSM Android phone that isn't super new?

polbit

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2002
South Carolina
Nexus One! A classic, and still one of the better ones, even if it doesn't have the dual-core, or the Super AMOLED Plus screens... If you can find one cheap, and get CyanogenMod on it, then you are in business.

It's funny that a lot of people here post that they got an Android phone because they were bored with iOS, because I'm an exact opposite. Either way, it's a lot of fun playing with something new, thank goodness we have choices! I hope that Microsoft can get going with Windows Mobile, and it would be nice to see WebOS back in the game (I'm giving up on RIM, they are clueless...)

Polbit

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
I've been using an iPhone 4 since launch, however lately the gadget beast inside me has been getting awful bored. Recently while pondering how to spend a hefty overtime check, I decided to treat myself to an HTC Sensation Android device. Long story short, both devices have their strengths and weaknesses (beaten to death on these forums I think..).

Nothing bizarre about your desire. I have been using more than two phones for years. I just enjoy smartphones.

I've had every iPhone since day one, and I've had over 15 Androids since they were first released via T-Mobile. The reason for so many Androids is that there are a lot of choices and I like to try most of them and have.

Currently the two I carry daily, are the iPhone 4 and Samsung Galaxy S II.

Both are excellent in their own way and I differ from many people, inasmuch as I simply see no good reason to compare them, other than the fact they are both phones.

The OS differences are so diverse that there's little point in a direct comparison as inevitable as it may be.

I enjoy variety and these two platforms provide it. I wouldn't give either of them up.

That's my take on it. :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've used both but not at the same time. I switched back and forth. Got a Nexus One, stopped using the iPhone. Got the iPhone 4 stopped using my Droidx

Both have their own strengths and weaknesses. I'm happy with my IP4 and so i don't see changing anytime soon.

RS232

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2009
London, United Kingdom
I have a iPhone 4 and a HTC Inspire... But always drift back to the iPhone! Love the notification and customisation on the HTC but the lack of proxy server settings, exchange folder recognition, authentication problems with work website and battery life are a pain.

I know there are ways round it but the iPhone handles these 'straight out of box'! Dabbled with Windows Phone on the HTC HD7 and was fairly impressed... Mango in the autumn might make me defect!

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
Hmm, I just switched to Verizon iPhone 4 from T-Mobile N1, and I wish I could swap SIM cards... Miss my N1 a bit, still one of the best Android phones out there, especially with CyanogenMod 7. And talk about notifications! The nice, big trackball with assignable colors to different events was awesome, probably single biggest thing I miss now on the iPhone.

Polbit

I've thought about getting a Nexus One. The phone still sells for close to $200 which is pretty impressive for a phone that is a year and a half old and not an iPhone. I've only heard great things about it and most people who have one say they'll never sell it. I'm selling my Inspire and I may get one after it sells.

Samuriajackon

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
I have a iPhone 4 and a HTC Inspire... But always drift back to the iPhone! Love the notification and customisation on the HTC but the lack of proxy server settings, exchange folder recognition, authentication problems with work website and battery life are a pain.

I know there are ways round it but the iPhone handles these 'straight out of box'! Dabbled with Windows Phone on the HTC HD7 and was fairly impressed... Mango in the autumn might make me defect!

I had a iPhone3gs, Droid(original), LG Vortex, and an iPhone 4. Droid had terrible battery and power consumption problems. tasks would run out of control, the support for gmail sync was worst then MobileMe(i would update a contact and it would update in gmail site about 1 hour to 1 day later). both the Droid and LG had pretty okay screens but not next to the iPhone 4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.