Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old Sep 24, 2002, 12:16 AM   #1
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
No iMac G3 as of Jan 2003

In January 2003, the iMac G3 will no longer be available through Apple's Online store, nor through Apple Retail.

http://www.spymac.com/
arn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2002, 09:16 PM   #2
medea
macrumors 68030

Well it's good that they are finally running out of stock of those, make room for new macs.
Solipsist's Creed:
Zero's company, one's a crowd.
medea is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2002, 09:35 PM   #3
SilvorX
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to SilvorX Send a message via AIM to SilvorX
i was hearing it was going to go officially as of feb '03..hmmm probably there'll be a big RIP thing at mwsf
Old Sep 24, 2002, 10:53 PM   #4
rainman::|:|
macrumors 603

Send a message via Yahoo to rainman::|:|
three words: fi-na-lly

actually i have been a proponent of apple keeping them, as many users point out the G3 is still a really nice processor... but everything has it's time, and the G3 has been around for frickin' ever. plus, this could be a definite indication of good things to come from Apple soon...

and i'll toss in the obligatory "we don't trust spymac" comment to get it out of the way...

pnw
rainman::|:| is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2002, 11:55 PM   #5
RogueLdr
macrumors regular

I know that the "Classic" iMac has run its course, but I must say that I'll be sorry to see it go. It ushered in a new enthusiasm for Apple engineering and brought the company back to the innovative design that started it all.

RL
Old Sep 25, 2002, 12:02 AM   #6
SilvorX
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to SilvorX Send a message via AIM to SilvorX
Quote:
Originally posted by RogueLdr
I know that the "Classic" iMac has run its course, but I must say that I'll be sorry to see it go. It ushered in a new enthusiasm for Apple engineering and brought the company back to the innovative design that started it all.

RL
i kno , n the cost of it made it really affordable for schools...the emac is affordable but not affordable enough (compared to the classic imac)
any of u think that they would bring out the emac in different colors?
Old Sep 25, 2002, 06:18 AM   #7
oldMac
macrumors 6502a

Kill them off and bring down the cost of the eMac

Apple needs a really low-cost EDU computer. I know that they've introduced the eMac, but the cost is still a little high.

Are eMac's selling to schools right now? Seriously... how well have these sold compared to say, the iMac classic?

Also, iApps are great, but what is Apple doing to assist in the production of education software? Apple should have a team of programmers that creates and assists in the creation of "eApps".
Old Sep 25, 2002, 11:54 AM   #8
biw314
macrumors newbie

I've had a 600 mhz G3 for a year now(I tend to run at least a few years behind) and I love it. It runs os X flawlessly, runs all my apps well. I've heard some people say that some G3s run os X better than some G4s. It would be a truly wonderful $500 computer.
biw314 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2002, 12:34 PM   #9
Mike Ball
macrumors newbie

I agree if only they would have a team of engineers creating educational software. In the UK, in the county I live in, we are actively discouraged from buying macs. This is based on the troubles pre imac. With the advent of OS X it's even more difficult to justify. We've all gone windows and there's no way were going to buy anything different now!!. So little curriculum software that is used has a mac port even the venerable apple works doesn't have UK specific clip art.
Education software takes even longer to change over than commercial software, the chances are we will wait another few years for something like Lego Robolab software to go OS X. There is one excellent exception in Clicker that has already gone OS X but it is an exception. There is one key programme that is used in all primary schools in the UK that didn't even make it to OS 9 and that's a programme called Junior Pinpoint, a database programme that allow you to create questionnaires. Also I wish the ipod allowed you to use an external microphone to record. It would be so useful to record children singing, reciting poems etc and then be able to put them on websites. It seems to be so short sighted of them not to include this facility. Most Sony minidisc type thing aren't compatible with macs.
Old Sep 25, 2002, 04:16 PM   #10
{1984}

Send a message via AIM to {1984}
i guess they arent selling too many of those re-released g3 imacs
{1984} is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2002, 06:40 PM   #11
rice_web
macrumors 6502a

if they could put an 800MHz G3 Sahara in there and kept the price the same, they'd sell like... umm, something that sells quickly.

The point is, they should keep Classic iMac, but offer it in the following configs:

600MHz G3
256K L2 Cache
ATi Rage Graphics
128MB RAM
40GB Hard Drive
CD-ROM
$599

800MHz G3
512K L2 Cache
GeForce2MX
256MB RAM
40GB Hard Drive