Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robert M.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2010
The home button on my iPad 2 (white 16 gig AT&T 3G model) works perfectly sometimes, but next thing I know it's not responding, even if I press it like 10 times. It's new, but I don't think it's a hardware issue. It seems random, but today it's happening more often.

I'm using the latest iOS (not 5.0 beta) and I have the smart cover on it, maybe that's doing something to it. Anyways, any help is appreciated. I've had every iPhone and the last iPad, but I've never had this problem. I'm pressing it with the same force as my iPhone, and my previous iPad. Does this one require a harder touch? ;)

patrickj

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007
Texas
The home button should 'just work'. You shouldn't need to worry about a harder touch.

You could try a reset of all settings or a restore, though with a pure hardware issue like this I would be tempted to go straight to Apple, via phone or store visit, and see about a replacement.

Robert M.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2010
Yeah I know, it's fine now, but I have a feeling it'll come back so I'm returning it tomorrow for a new one. But since it works perfect sometimes I feel like there's a software glitch somewhere that's causing it. :(

patrickj

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007
Texas
Yeah I know, it's fine now, but I have a feeling it'll come back so I'm returning it tomorrow for a new one. But since it works perfect sometimes I feel like there's a software glitch somewhere that's causing it. :(

Well, if the Apple folks think that, maybe they'll suggest a restore or similar. I imagine they'll just happily swap it though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.