Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jun 28, 2011, 02:45 PM   #1
Macky-Mac
macrumors 68020

Connecting to wrong wireless network and how to prevent it

recently my imac has been connecting to a neighbor's unprotected wireless network instead of connecting to my airport. Is there a way I can make it connect to mine? My internet service is faster so I would definitely prefer to be using mine!

I've tried going through "network preferences" and haven't found a way to successfully manually select which network to join.

It looks like his router's signal is the strongest one being found and so my imac will join that network. This has only been going on for a few days and I haven't changed anything in my set-up recently.

What can I do to get it back to using my own wireless router?
Macky-Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2011, 02:49 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Network Preferences > Advanced > AirPort > Preferred Networks

Drag networks into the order you prefer to join. Click the "-" to remove an unwanted network from the list.
GGJstudios is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2011, 03:19 PM   #3
Macky-Mac
macrumors 68020

thanks! that took care of the problem
Macky-Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 01:06 PM   #4
bdunaway
macrumors newbie

blocking a network

I saw a reply as to how to block a neighbor's etwork that's hijacking my Mac. Unfortunately, I couldn't understand the person's answer to someone else's same question.

I saw that I need to drag my desired network to the top of the list, but I can't see how to access the "-" and delete it. Where and what is the "-"?

Thanks!
bdunaway is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 02:37 PM   #5
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky-Mac View Post
neighbor's unprotected wireless network
You could be a good neighbour and pop round and help them set up a password! Thats what I had to do with my neighbour as she had no idea I could use her wifi and hack into her computer. Had to laugh when showing her what to do as she was about to give me the password to put in for her!
Old Jun 27, 2013, 11:28 AM   #6
drsox
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdunaway View Post
I saw a reply as to how to block a neighbor's etwork that's hijacking my Mac. Unfortunately, I couldn't understand the person's answer to someone else's same question.

I saw that I need to drag my desired network to the top of the list, but I can't see how to access the "-" and delete it. Where and what is the "-"?

Thanks!
Bottom left corner of the screen in System Preferences>Network>WiFi>Advanced there is a +- button that says : Drag networks into the order you prefer. If you select the one you want to delete and then click - , it will disappear.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help