Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jun 28, 2011, 11:29 PM   #1
Lithium91
macrumors newbie

Power Mac G5 Processor Problems

I've got a Power Mac G5 Dual 2.0ghz though I'm having some problems with one of the processors. It seems that about 85% of the times I boot the computer Hardware Monitor and About this Mac only shows one processor. There's still a few occasions that when I turn it on both processors are running and operational but most of the time only one is detected. Is this a sign of a bad processor or bad motherboard? Or is it a hardware problem? I've tried reseating the processor about 4 or 5 times now without any difference. The second processor just seems to kick on whenever it feels like it, really.

Any help would be appreciated.
Lithium91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2011, 12:56 AM   #2
mac.tastic
Banned

Logicboard.
mac.tastic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2011, 12:15 PM   #3
Lithium91
macrumors newbie

Dang, that's what I was afraid of. I'll try the re-install that I planned on doing today and if that fails at least I know what the problem is then.
Lithium91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2011, 07:49 AM   #4
Tucom
macrumors 6502a

The procs may just need to be reseated. I rebuilt a G5 that was reported to be not booting and completely tore it down, rebuilt it and reseated the processors and good as new.

Is it a LCS (Liquid Cooled/Cooling System) G5 model? If so, sometimes that can leak and cause all sorts of chaos, too unfortunately.
Tucom is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs