Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noodleyhead

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
Sesame Street
I am going to be going to high school in the fall and my school allows us to take our laptops. This is the first year we are allowed to do this so I don't have any experience with how the whole system is going to work. Does anyone know any good apps that I would be able to use? I need a good note taking app and something to plan all my hw assignments, projects, etc. Any other helpful apps would be appreciated too.

BiteMyApple

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2010
Forest Hills, NY
Like others already said, iStudiez Pro is pretty awesome on both Mac and mobile devices. They have a major update coming up (http://istudentpro.com/blog/). Added to Dropbox and Quickoffice, I don't think you can go wrong... and you certainly can't have excuses for forgetting to do your HW anymore :eek:

noodleyhead

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
Sesame Street
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.I didn't think I'd get so many replies so quickly:) !
And for taking notes I think I'll use evernote and microsoft word with dropbox. Those are nice because it can sync with all my other devices.
For hw assignments and projects, iStudiez Pro looks perfect and well worth $10.
Thanks again for helping! :)

miamirulz29

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2009
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.I didn't think I'd get so many replies so quickly:) !
And for taking notes I think I'll use evernote and microsoft word with dropbox. Those are nice because it can sync with all my other devices.
For hw assignments and projects, iStudiez Pro looks perfect and well worth $10.
Thanks again for helping! :)

Does anyone know if iHomework or iStudiez Pro is better?

That is a good combination, I personally like SugarSync more than Dropbox because of with dropbox, I have to drop all of my files in the dropbox folder, but with sugarsync I can choose the folders I want to be synced.

I would also like to know about the differences between iHomework and iStudiez Pro.

noodleyhead

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
Sesame Street
Oh I didn't know that. I'll look into SugarSync too, since I might not want to sync all my files.
And as for iHomework, its cheaper than iStudiez Pro, but if iStudiez is better, I'd rather spend the extra money.

exegete77

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
Notetaking apps: Consider to excellent ones.

Scrivener: Go to the forums and see the wide variety of uses for this program. I use it for editing a magazine. Since it can export to .rtf, this might be all you need.

Notebook by Circus Ponies

For a word processor, I recommend Nisus Writer Pro. It will give you all the power you need, plus many extras for future growth potential.

For bibliography, consider Bookends.

The best work flow might be Scrivener ----> Nisus ----> Bookends ----> finalize in Nisus.

bndoarn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
One app I suggest (in addition to the ones mentioned above) is Anxiety. It's a really simplistic todo app but I probably use it the most out of all the apps I use for school. I have it so it launches at startup so every time I turn on my computer I get reminded of homework I need to do. It's not in the Mac App Store but you can download it here for free.

http://www.anxietyapp.com/

Here's a screenshot. This todo list will stay on the top of all other windows. (Click the image to make it larger)
bw7qXKw

The button in the menu bar (the check mark) toggles the list.
5pxoLm8

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
North of England
Keynote is the best thing ever for doing presentations :) I've done three presentations for my physics a level, and I got 100% on all three... I think it was to with how aesthetically pleasing they were!

Pages is really good for reports/essays etc too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.