Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

739187-ipad-150x84.jpg

Fiona Bligh never thought she would get a response when she sent an email to Apple CEO Steve Jobs. But, the story of her daughter Holly's unique experience with her iPad inspired Steve so much that not only did he write back to Fiona, but Steve asked if he could share her story as well.

Fiona's daughter has albinism. It affects pigment in her skin, hair color and also her vision. The Australian Herald Sun wrote about nine-year-old Holly, noting that her iPad has replaced the large magnifying glass she needed to read. She can quickly enlarge text and is now much more enthusiastic about reading, and can read for twice as long without getting tired.

In her email to the Apple CEO, Fiona shared that "all the other kids think it's awesome that she gets an iPad!" Steve wrote back:
Thanks for sharing your experience with me. Do you mind if I read your email to a group of our top 100 leaders at Apple?
He signed the email "Thanks, Steve".

Article Link: Steve Jobs Inspired by 9-Year-Old's iPad Story

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
I love the name Fiona :) Beautiful name.

Also interesting to see a Steve response longer than 3 words ;) I have a story too, Steve. Steve?

tonyshucraft

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2008
As somebody whom is visually impaired, ever since I've gotten my first macbook pro, I've really been a fan of how they handle accessibility. Even on the iPhone. I can see well enough to get around the iPhone without turning on any specific features, but I can actually see people I know whom are totally blind using one.

Also, in the end, for those whom need screen readers or programs that zoom to make everything bigger, Macs end up being cheaper than many equivalent PC options and work better, from my experience.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
What exactly did she email to Steve? Maybe I didn't notice it but all I see is Steve's response.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
"The iPad is nice but it's just a giant iPod."
"Tablets are still toys, you can't do anything serious."
"Apple's iPad is too simple. Not enough buttons and flashing lights."

And yet it still manages to change lives. Amazing.

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
"The iPad is nice but it's just a giant iPod."
"Tablets are still toys, you can't do anything serious."
"Apple's iPad is too simple. Not enough buttons and flashing lights."

And yet it still manages to change lives. Amazing.

I guess all the doctors using iPads to show patients live video of their insides is not serious as well as airlines using iPads to navigate through the skies replacing the paper maps aren't either. So the next plane you go on or doctor visit or hospital stay you have isn't serious either.

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
Nice,
Stories like this make the iPad 'Magical'.

If the story is true, and I have no reason to doubt it, then she is one very nice young person.

Steve? Don't kid yourself, he knows a good marketing opportunity when he sees one. Sadly, the man worships money more than anything else.

Don't believe it? Then you don't know Steve.

Hey, it's his right, I'm not judging him but rather debunking the warm and fuzzy business behind this story.

If he was that kind of guy, it wouldn't take a story like that one to motivate him to act like a nice guy.

He's a hopeless narcissist, and that's just a fact. It's what makes things interesting. It's why Apple is the polarizing company it is.

Just walk out from behind the walled garden into the sunlight, read the mainstream press and notice how many others view him the same way. His ego, and dictatorial ways precede him.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.