Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 30, 2011, 12:35 AM   #51
boss.king
macrumors 68040
 
boss.king's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Corwen View Post
If you notice in this thread it's the same usual suspects too.

Its obvious what their hidden agenda is.

Undercover Apple haters.

Some guy with a 3GS just tried to say someone didn't know first hand whatever they were talking about when he has 2 year old tech. Sure if you got the old screen and slower phone you think Android has caught up. Haha.

Man these threads are so indicative of jealousy.

People can't handle that everything is not equal. In life and in phones.

Ugly people always try to say looks don't matter and good looking people just ignore them.

If people honestly think nobody is better or superior than anyone else than they are living in a very sad, very fake, very insecure reality.

You guys are racing around the track and iPhone is already at the finish line.
I assume your little shot at the guy with the 3GS was aimed at me. If so, I have used an iPhone 4 and Android phones. I'm not having this argument with you since I've already blocked you, I just saw this quoted and wanted to point out that you are the one missing out if you are willing to be so closed minded. Like you said, not everything is equal, each has it's own strengths and weaknesses. Not everyone has the same needs either. Think about that next time you pretend to be more knowledgeable than you really are.
__________________
LG Nexus 4
iPad Mini
boss.king is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 12:48 AM   #52
AndrewR23
macrumors 68020
 
AndrewR23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Hey bobby, say 15 years from now Apple has already discontinued iPhone and the last one released was the 4. Would you still be using it in 15 years? Or actually TRY something new without the bias that you currently have?

I remember you said the SGS2 was worse than the 4 because of YouTube videos you watch?

Curious, when you try new foods, do you look up a video review?

One day you will grow out of your iPhone shell and see what other devices are like. But right now your attitude is "Oh that phone runs Android, it sucks GO IPhone YAYYY"
AndrewR23 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 01:05 AM   #53
tekker
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Shut up.

Just because I buy/like certain Apple products doesn't mean I have to like them all. It's my decision to use whatever I want, unlike some of you who have their lips around Steve-O's ****
tekker is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 01:59 AM   #54
mysterioustko
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
It's all a matter of taste. The iphone was designed to be a smartphone made simple. Apple succeeded in doing that. It is the best simplified smartphone on the market. However that does not make it the best smartphone on the market. The same thing that makes it a strength (it's simplicity) is also it's biggest weakness. Some people want more options and thus an iphone will not work for them.

@Bobby Corwen
The same things you rave about the iphone are things I don't like about it. For example, I hate the browser scrolling on the iPhone. It is very stiff and rigid. If you are on a long page (like engadget) it takes a lot of swipes to get to the bottom (because it keeps stopping) whereas on other platforms such as android the scrolling is more kinetic and the speed and length of the scroll is determined moreso by the speed of the swipe (instead of a predetermined scroll distance). Also, I don't care for the iPhone 4's build quality. As much as I hear people bashing the build quality of manufacturers like Samsung, saying it's just cheap plastic, their phones tend to be a bit more durable than the iPhone 4 has proven to be. What I mean is, if you drop the iPhone 4 you may wind up with shattered glass, whereas if you drop that "cheap plastic" Samsung, it is more likely to suffer only minor damage if any (depending on the surface you dropped it on). Phones get dropped...even the most careful person has an accident every once in a while. The other part of the iPhone 4's build quality that I have a problem with is that it is not very comfortable to hold. There is absolutely no ergonomic design in the iPhone 4 at all. I think the 3GS is MUCH MORE comfortable to hold than the iPhone 4. That being said, I think the iPhone 4 is a good phone overall. I just don't believe it's the end all be all of phones. It has it's strong points and it has it's weak points, just as any other phone does. In the end it just depends on the person and what their needs are. We have iPhones in our family and we have some Android phones (Sensation and Nexus S) and everyone is happy. To each their own.
mysterioustko is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 02:06 AM   #55
0dev
macrumors 68040
 
0dev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 127.0.0.1
I think it's the "Android sucks" part people get upset about.

Apple forums are quite hostile, though. On BlackBerry forums you can compliment rival platforms without being flamed. It's amazing
0dev is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 02:09 AM   #56
Bobby Corwen
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by boss.king View Post
I assume your little shot at the guy with the 3GS was aimed at me. If so, I have used an iPhone 4 and Android phones. I'm not having this argument with you since I've already blocked you, I just saw this quoted and wanted to point out that you are the one missing out if you are willing to be so closed minded. Like you said, not everything is equal, each has it's own strengths and weaknesses. Not everyone has the same needs either. Think about that next time you pretend to be more knowledgeable than you really are.
Don't try to malign my character.
Bobby Corwen is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 02:15 AM   #57
naths
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bristol.UK
because android is as good if not better than ios!!!..apple are playing catch up now with android,ok...ios may be smoother running but nowhere near as many custom options,notifications etc.....i mean 500,000 android activations a day and people on here say android is rubbish!!!!...hmmm...iv got a iphone4 and a HTC sensation,both great,one other thing in the mix is windows,wait untill Nokia release the N9 with that,will put ios and android to shame,its about time the best phone hardware manufacturor got a decent operating system!!
naths is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 02:28 AM   #58
Bobby Corwen
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterioustko View Post
It's all a matter of taste. The iphone was designed to be a smartphone made simple. Apple succeeded in doing that. It is the best simplified smartphone on the market. However that does not make it the best smartphone on the market. The same thing that makes it a strength (it's simplicity) is also it's biggest weakness. Some people want more options and thus an iphone will not work for them.

@Bobby Corwen
The same things you rave about the iphone are things I don't like about it. For example, I hate the browser scrolling on the iPhone. It is very stiff and rigid. If you are on a long page (like engadget) it takes a lot of swipes to get to the bottom (because it keeps stopping) whereas on other platforms such as android the scrolling is more kinetic and the speed and length of the scroll is determined moreso by the speed of the swipe (instead of a predetermined scroll distance). Also, I don't care for the iPhone 4's build quality. As much as I hear people bashing the build quality of manufacturers like Samsung, saying it's just cheap plastic, their phones tend to be a bit more durable than the iPhone 4 has proven to be. What I mean is, if you drop the iPhone 4 you may wind up with shattered glass, whereas if you drop that "cheap plastic" Samsung, it is more likely to suffer only minor damage if any (depending on the surface you dropped it on). Phones get dropped...even the most careful person has an accident every once in a while. The other part of the iPhone 4's build quality that I have a problem with is that it is not very comfortable to hold. There is absolutely no ergonomic design in the iPhone 4 at all. I think the 3GS is MUCH MORE comfortable to hold than the iPhone 4. That being said, I think the iPhone 4 is a good phone overall. I just don't believe it's the end all be all of phones. It has it's strong points and it has it's weak points, just as any other phone does. In the end it just depends on the person and what their needs are. We have iPhones in our family and we have some Android phones (Sensation and Nexus S) and everyone is happy. To each their own.
Fair enough. Some points I don't agree though such as ergonomics but it's the OS behavior that makes the end all be all. Last time I had a phone so powerful yet responsive was the palm treo 650. Instant response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0dev View Post
I think it's the "Android sucks" part people get upset about.

Apple forums are quite hostile, though. On BlackBerry forums you can compliment rival platforms without being flamed. It's amazing
Nobody is saying Android sucks, just saying if comparing the two the Android is not as good.

Android is 2nd best yes. That is far from sucking.
Bobby Corwen is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 02:57 AM   #59
mysterioustko
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Corwen View Post
Fair enough. Some points I don't agree though such as ergonomics but it's the OS behavior that makes the end all be all. Last time I had a phone so powerful yet responsive was the palm treo 650. Instant response.
As for ergonomics, I don't really think that is something that can be debated. The iPhone 4 has no curves or contours, it definitely is not ergonomic. That can't really be debated. It's was designed to look nice, not to fit the contours of your hand. With the 3GS the curve made it sit it in your hand much more naturally (which is the point of ergonomics) than the iPhone4 does.

As for your statement regarding the OS behavior...I think this what makes discussions like this interesting. The same thing you stated you think makes the OS superior is the same thing that I think makes it a less viable option (for me at least). The OS behavior in my opinion is too simplified, to the point where I don't really have control over it. Where OS's such as Android are designed so that I can tailor make my experience to suit my needs, IOS dictates to me what my experience will be. Then IOS is missing simple things like smart dialing and bluetooth data transfers (which I use to send files to my girl's phone and to and from my laptop). Then on IOS I'm stuck to iTunes....when I buy an iPhone4 to sell, I always have to bring my netbook with me just so I can wipe the phone of the person I just bought from. Doesn't make sense to me that I can't just wipe the phone locally from the device itself. Then I don't understand why iTunes is required to do simple things like add a custom ringtone that I made. It is things like this that drive me away from IOS. I think it's time for them to update their browser and give it more functionality...I don't understand why they still have not added reflowing text. I can't tell you how convenient it is to just double tap your screen and the text reformats itself to fit your screen so you don't have to scroll side to side.
Yes iOS is a smooth running OS, but then again it should be...it doesn't really do anything in the background. Just as a point of reference, even on a lower end android phone, if you disabled all background processes and disabled data syncing in the background, you get a much increased battery life and it will run smoother (of course the higher end phones run smooth anyway).
Those are some examples of what I mean when I say that iOS' behaviors/functionality is the reason I do not prefer iPhone. Also, I find the look of IOS to be a bit too bubbly and cartoonish. As stated previously I'm not saying "iPhone sucks" or anything like that. I'm just simply stating that it all depends on your perspective and how you look at things. I just think it's very interesting that the same reason you love the phone is the same reason that I do not. I think this serves as a perfect example to prove that there is no "best" phone, but that there is a best phone for a particular individual.
mysterioustko is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 02:59 AM   #60
Bobby Corwen
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Each pro and con also has a different and various "weighted value"

For example:

iPhone Pros
Smoother operation in mail, internet, apps and everything - 80 points
Ecosystem - 30 points
Apps - 30

Android Pros
Flash - 50
Open - 10
Larger screen size(not necessarily quality) - 20


Similar for the cons.

If you add it up, only one pro is approximately the equivalent of all the android pros. This is a simplified approximation to illustratethe concept to stop peole from saying:

"well they both have their benefits and it just depends what you need"

Well they both do pretty much everything but one does the same things better. The extras are extras.
Bobby Corwen is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 03:00 AM   #61
Lotso
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: OC, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclaptop View Post
I agree with the concept, just the wording that's a bit of an issue. I view people who are very passionate about a product as enthusiasts, such as myself. They are eager to have intelligent conversations without the insults and name calling that are part and parcel of every fanboys negative attitude and eagerness to attack.

In my postings I never call people names or assault their favorite device. There is no perfect phone and that's the good news. If there were it would be awfully boring.

It's their outlandish claims, usually made from a position of ignorance (or outright desire to insult), not first hand knowledge and experience that sets them apart from true enthusiasts that appreciate the different devices with there own set of pros and cons.
So can we agree on "fan-gents" then?
__________________
iPhone 5S 64GB
"We've both said a lot of things you are going to regret. But I think we can put our differences behind us. For science. You monster."-GLaDOS
Lotso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 03:35 AM   #62
mysterioustko
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Corwen View Post
Each pro and con also has a different and various "weighted value"

For example:

iPhone Pros
Smoother operation in mail, internet, apps and everything - 80 points
Ecosystem - 30 points
Apps - 30

Android Pros
Flash - 50
Open - 10
Larger screen size(not necessarily quality) - 20


Similar for the cons.

If you add it up, only one pro is approximately the equivalent of all the android pros. This is a simplified approximation to illustratethe concept to stop peole from saying:

"well they both have their benefits and it just depends what you need"

Well they both do pretty much everything but one does the same things better. The extras are extras.
Again we disagree. Take ecosystem for example, I see Apple's ecosystem as a con not a plus. I like having options. I don't like being forced to deal with one thing (appstore) and one thing only. Take Amazon's app store for example, they often have apps cheaper than in the "Market", and they give out a free paid app every day. In Apple's ecosystem, that is not possible. Also I definitely have to disagree with you about smoothness of "mail, internet, apps and everything". I'll preface this by saying I am comparing this to a high end Android device such as the Nexus S...IN MY OPINION the browsing experience is much better on the Nexus S than it is on the iphone 4. I don't think the iPhone 4 is smooth at all, as the scrolling is too slow and rigid to make that claim. Not to mention the checkerboarding that often takes place when scrolling..that doesn't happen on the Nexus S. Android's mail app runs just fine on the Nexus S also. It doesn't lag at all so I wouldn't say that the experience is any smoother on the iPhone4 than on the Nexus S. Maybe it is if you compare it to a lower end device, but that definitely is not the case with the Nexus S (and several other high end Android devices). Also, it would make more sense if you were comparing the iPhone to one phone and not to every phone that happens to have the Android OS on it. Remember Android is only an OS. Different phones have different capabilities and deliver a different experience.

My point system would be more like:

iphone Pros:
Apps - 20
Simpicity - 5
No real fragmentation - 20
Batter life (depending on the phone you're comparing against this may be higher. The iphone 4 has better battery life than the Nexus S but not by much) - 10


Nexus S (notice I specified a phone and not an entire OS) Pros:
Cloud Connectivity - 15
Customizability - 20
Better Browsing - 10
Flash - 30
Native Turn-by-turn Navigation - 30
Full bluetooth capability - 10
Background Data - 15
Larger screen - 20

Note: When I say cloud connectivity I mean that on a couple fronts. Yes I'm aware that iOS 5 has some cloud connectivity. But I can use the Nexus S and access and edit files in the cloud, which is accessible from my computers or tablets (such as dropbox). Also when you first set up the Nexus S, it will download all of your apps automatically and restore your wifi settings from your backup in the cloud. The same is also true with your calendars and contacts. Also I can push webpages, clipboard data, and maps from my computer to my phone and vice versa all through the cloud (which is very useful).
mysterioustko is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 03:43 AM   #63
aphexacid
macrumors 6502a
 
aphexacid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
It's kind of popular these days y'know.

Thats because its the only other choice. Google played the game correctly, and eclipsed the OS i thought would be a great option to ios, webos.
Biggest selling points are its excellent stability....unlike android (why is battery life still such an issue?? constant force closes, and other miscellaneous weirdnes.

Excellent user interface. Android looks like booty, and is nowhere near as intuitive as ios or webos. android is pretty geeky.

my opinion of course, but i've tried android so many times, and i just think its bootleg.
aphexacid is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 04:11 AM   #64
Schweitzer
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp700p View Post
Why should iPhone fans be forced to defend Android?
LOL WUT?

For most people phones are products - not their purpose in life.

Tip: for peace of mind identify with your favourite brand of washing machine instead.

Now if you think that's a ridiculous suggestion you might be on the right track.
Schweitzer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 04:23 AM   #65
stevensr123
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
People keep going on about stability and lagging on android , of gets on my nerves.

The latest android phones work like a dream and are as fluid and fast as iOS .

I have had the htc desire, desire hd , the iPhone 4 and now on the samsung galaxy s2.

The galaxy s2 is better than the iPhone 4 in every single way, faster, better screen, more durable and thinner design, bigger screen, better to hold, as fluid and responsive as the iPhone 4 infact web browsing is even more fluid and faster.

People keep on comparing the iPhone 4 with old and laggy android phones, but that's a myth now.

I have yet to have one crash or a case of lagging on this sgs2, it's an amazing phone.

And people rightly defend there choices, just like apple supporters would defend apple, it's a tribal effect in many ways.

I like to remain open minded though and because I am open minded I am in a win-win situation.

Apple release a phone that isn't as good as samsung galaxy s2, I don't buy it.

Apple release a phone that isn't as good as the latest and greatest, apple fan boys don't consider there options and automatically buy it because it's apple.
stevensr123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 04:29 AM   #66
Fernandez21
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
Thats because its the only other choice. Google played the game correctly, and eclipsed the OS i thought would be a great option to ios, webos.
Biggest selling points are its excellent stability....unlike android (why is battery life still such an issue?? constant force closes, and other miscellaneous weirdnes.

Excellent user interface. Android looks like booty, and is nowhere near as intuitive as ios or webos. android is pretty geeky.

my opinion of course, but i've tried android so many times, and i just think its bootleg.
I agree, webos is my favorite os. It's just when you put all things considered (features, app, hardware, accessories ) the iPhone still comes out on top, but on a purely ui standpoint webos is by far my favorite. I ranks them: 1. Webos, 2. iOS, 3. Windows phone, 4. Meego, 5. Qnx (blackberry), 6. Android. (yes android is my least favorite of all smart phone os'es besides blackberry and Symbian. Had an atrix for three months and hated it, the hardware was great, but the android expiernce was aggravating. )
Fernandez21 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 05:19 AM   #67
62tele
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
To me, it is quite simple. Why should an android user post on an iPhone forum, particulalry if it's merely to trash iPhone. I get that android has some neat features, etc. And, if you have other Apple products but an an android phone, you still shouldn't be an iphone forum just to bash the device.
It's two different models. You have a choice. If you chose android, don't come here to play this silly nanny nanny boo boo game. You made your choice, go play with the android folks.
Most of this crap is trivial.
62tele is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 05:23 AM   #68
0dev
macrumors 68040
 
0dev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 127.0.0.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62tele View Post
To me, it is quite simple. Why should an android user post on an iPhone forum, particulalry if it's merely to trash iPhone. I get that android has some neat features, etc. And, if you have other Apple products but an an android phone, you still shouldn't be an iphone forum just to bash the device.
It's two different models. You have a choice. If you chose android, don't come here to play this silly nanny nanny boo boo game. You made your choice, go play with the android folks.
Most of this crap is trivial.
So why are you on an iPhone forum just to bash Android?
0dev is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 05:42 AM   #69
Stanjara
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
hmm

I don't know about forums, but i know about real life. In my country Croatia, iPhones are very expensive...and more, contracts on witch you can get them are pretty expensive too. There are no real apple commercials, besides for the iphone 4 when it came out. So people with apple products are looked like... douche y strange people with money. T-mobile witch is the leading mobile company, advertises crappy android phones and makes them magical, so talking bull to apple products is pretty normal on our forums....and real life. There are actually two android phones that i like and they are sgs2 and htc sensation. They are the only ones that do not lag in the interface...but they are top of the line right now...so they are as much,or even more exp...than iphone 4. I personally don't like android...for me it lacks polish that ios has with it's app store. I do understand praising sgs2 and sasation, but for other phones i don't. Other brands are updating and advertising their specs (camera, screen) but for me it doesn't matter. I realy like my 3gs...build quality and the ios, and it has changed my life. I dont have a need for anything else...except maybe unlimited data plan.

p.s. planing to buy mac book pro
Stanjara is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 05:59 AM   #70
Bobby Corwen
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewR23 View Post
Hey bobby, say 15 years from now Apple has already discontinued iPhone and the last one released was the 4. Would you still be using it in 15 years? Or actually TRY something new without the bias that you currently have?

I remember you said the SGS2 was worse than the 4 because of YouTube videos you watch?

Curious, when you try new foods, do you look up a video review?

One day you will grow out of your iPhone shell and see what other devices are like. But right now your attitude is "Oh that phone runs Android, it sucks GO IPhone YAYYY"
I've done the research and there is a distinguishable difference. I am not that closed minded. It would take a lot to get me to sway and would have to be as revolutionary as the iPhone itself to get me to get a device that doesn't match my MacBook pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotso View Post
So can we agree on "fan-gents" then?

Lmao!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
Thats because its the only other choice. Google played the game correctly, and eclipsed the OS i thought would be a great option to ios, webos.
Biggest selling points are its excellent stability....unlike android (why is battery life still such an issue?? constant force closes, and other miscellaneous weirdnes.

Excellent user interface. Android looks like booty, and is nowhere near as intuitive as ios or webos. android is pretty geeky.

my opinion of course, but i've tried android so many times, and i just think its bootleg.
Lol @ bootleg. Great way to describe its swag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensr123 View Post
People keep going on about stability and lagging on android , of gets on my nerves.

The latest android phones work like a dream and are as fluid and fast as iOS .

I have had the htc desire, desire hd , the iPhone 4 and now on the samsung galaxy s2.

The galaxy s2 is better than the iPhone 4 in every single way, faster, better screen, more durable and thinner design, bigger screen, better to hold, as fluid and responsive as the iPhone 4 infact web browsing is even more fluid and faster.

People keep on comparing the iPhone 4 with old and laggy android phones, but that's a myth now.

I have yet to have one crash or a case of lagging on this sgs2, it's an amazing phone.

And people rightly defend there choices, just like apple supporters would defend apple, it's a tribal effect in many ways.

I like to remain open minded though and because I am open minded I am in a win-win situation.

Apple release a phone that isn't as good as samsung galaxy s2, I don't buy it.

Apple release a phone that isn't as good as the latest and greatest, apple fan boys don't consider there options and automatically buy it because it's apple.

That's what I initially thought too but then i used the sensation and saw video of the sgs2 and there is a noticible difference that you are not noticing and when you say it's as smooth or smoother it's false, a different type of low res behavior, and as a man with attention to detail i notice.

This is an example of a concise argument. Like I said, you guys are in fact getting close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62tele View Post
To me, it is quite simple. Why should an android user post on an iPhone forum, particulalry if it's merely to trash iPhone. I get that android has some neat features, etc. And, if you have other Apple products but an an android phone, you still shouldn't be an iphone forum just to bash the device.
It's two different models. You have a choice. If you chose android, don't come here to play this silly nanny nanny boo boo game. You made your choice, go play with the android folks.
Most of this crap is trivial.

Correct
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0dev View Post
So why are you on an iPhone forum just to bash Android?
huuh???? I don't think you realize it messes with our "vibe" here to see unsettling android threads at the top of the charts every day. We are trying to swag out here about the products we love. We don't need you relentless tyranny.
Bobby Corwen is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 06:11 AM   #71
Kariya
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Symptom of those who tie their identity with their mobile phone.
Kariya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 07:24 AM   #72
decafjava
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Geneva
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kariya View Post
Symptom of those who tie their identity with their mobile phone.
You'd think it was a magical ring or something.
decafjava is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 07:35 AM   #73
radiogoober
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by boss.king View Post
Do you seriously believe that? There's no way you can be this ignorant. There are lots of Android handsets out there because it is open source and has been adopted by most phone companies. You clearly don't know what you're talking about.
There's no need to insult me. Android was adopted for two reasons: 1. They couldn't get iOS, and 2. The proprietary phone OS whatever manufacturer was using was complete crap.

There's two different ways to look at the word "compete." One, as in "Will Android ever be a superior platform to iOS?" The answer is a resounding "Not a chance in hell." The other way is to say "Will there be more copies of Android out there than iOS?" The answer is "Yup!" Why? Because it's getting spammed on dozens and dozens of handsets. The vast majority of which are complete crap.

Just because you spread a turd everywhere doesn't make it a great phone OS. Good luck with your antivirus software.

Last edited by radiogoober; Jun 30, 2011 at 07:48 AM.
radiogoober is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 08:02 AM   #74
boss.king
macrumors 68040
 
boss.king's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiogoober View Post
There's no need to insult me. Android was adopted for two reasons: 1. They couldn't get iOS, and 2. The proprietary phone OS whatever manufacturer was using was complete crap.

There's two different ways to look at the word "compete." One, as in "Will Android ever be a superior platform to iOS?" The answer is a resounding "Not a chance in hell." The other way is to say "Will there be more copies of Android out there than iOS?" The answer is "Yup!" Why? Because it's getting spammed on dozens and dozens of handsets. The vast majority of which are complete crap.

Just because you spread a turd everywhere doesn't make it a great phone OS. Good luck with your antivirus software.

Where did I insult you? I will say that you don't seem to know they advantages Android offers over iOS. That doesn't mean iOS doesnt have it's own advantages, but it's not the one OS to rule them all as you portray it to be. You should also look up the words spam and choice, Android is being used as it is a solid competitor to iOS, and allows phone makers to explore many uses of the OS and offers variety of devices to suit many needs.

Btw, anyone who needs to use an antivirus app on their phone is an idiot. Common sense will protect you more than any antivirus will. Don't bring up irrelevant points to try and spread misinformation
__________________
LG Nexus 4
iPad Mini
boss.king is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 08:45 AM   #75
tigress666
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Washington State
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterioustko View Post
Also, I don't care for the iPhone 4's build quality. As much as I hear people bashing the build quality of manufacturers like Samsung, saying it's just cheap plastic, their phones tend to be a bit more durable than the iPhone 4 has proven to be.
I dunno, the way I see it is that yes, glass is more likely to break if you drop it (without a case, I've dropped my 4 several times with a cheap silicone case and it's fine). But... in general, at least the plastic Apple uses, seems to crack even if you take care of it. At least I have a chance with the glass phone of it not cracking (Seriously, I've found lately that plastic Apple products are very prone to cracking just from use. My 3G got the crack a lot of people complained about coming from the dock connector area. My Macbook got cracks right on the "palmrest" areas of the keyboard, not to mention every single person I knew with a plastic Macbook had the same exact issues, even to the point one person had his keyboard and therefore the palmrest replaced and the new one cracked too! It's so bad apple will replace that part up to 3x according to one genius I talked to. Shoot, even the back of my macbook has a small crack coming from the airvent).

So yeah, I don't have any faith in Apple + plastic (I don't seem to have this issue with other manufacturers, just Apple). So I'd rather they not use plastic as either they use crappy plastic or they make forms that tend to stress the plastic out (not sure which).

And I agree with you that phones get dropped. But at this point, I'd rather deal with a case and have a glass phone that I have a chance of it not cracking.

Quote:
The other part of the iPhone 4's build quality that I have a problem with is that it is not very comfortable to hold.
You know, before I got the 4 I thought this would be an issue. But honestly, I barely notice the difference holding it between it and my old 3G. I have to hold the 3G before I hold the 4 before I even notice it. It's not bad at all. And I *love* the fact it sits flat on a table. It's so much nicer.
__________________
2010 Macbook Pro, 2007 Macbook, gutted out Gateway (still a PC, only case is original) that needs an OS installed on it, 400 MHz G4, non working Macintosh Performa (I really should chuck that one).
tigress666 is offline   2 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nevada Rancher, people defend him? G51989 Politics, Religion, Social Issues 718 Jun 18, 2014 04:30 AM
Note 2 and Other Android users who moved to iPhone hbksabhi Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 38 Oct 7, 2013 03:23 AM
People selling iphone for android phones! DB14ify Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 33 Jun 19, 2013 01:37 PM
Why do Fandroids defend Android tooth and nail? xcodeaddict Wasteland 1 Mar 11, 2013 10:14 PM
Moved to Android, iPhone still receives iMessages RossMacca Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 3 Jul 31, 2012 12:29 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:12 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC