Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 2, 2011, 04:45 AM   #126
belle93
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
I do see your point, and i totally agree with that statement.

I'd say that the reason why android users has this united feeling, is because of how major Android is getting.

Android is an open-sourced OS, which means that it can be distributed to whoever desires the OS in their mobile devices. This is an huge advantage compaired to iOS eg. as it allows them to build a big variety of devices from different companies, which will therefore overtake Apple's devices in therms of hardware specs.

As it is right now, Android phones has the best specs - hands down. I believe the iPhone users has admitted this a long time ago. i too admit it, but i still choose to see iPhone as the best phone because of the OS.

I've been playing around with android, and the OS there seems abit too messy, when you've played with the simple and elegant iOS (especially iOS5). Therefore i am convinced that iPhone is my kinda phone, even though Android (in theory) has the better possibilities, but lacks (in some people's mind) a better OS to make it lucrative

So everytime i go to an homepage, where i for example can compare an insanely good Android phone to an iPhone 4, the Android phone always wins. But that is just HW-related. You really gotta experience both, to choose your way.

So i believe that Android has earned respect among the iPhone users.

Regards,
Belle, Denmark.
__________________
13" Macbook Pro i5, 16GB ram
Black iPhone 5 16GB
belle93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2011, 05:07 AM   #127
Sir Ruben
macrumors 65816
 
Sir Ruben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmacosx View Post
Not that you'd understand but I still feel compelled to explain.
Strange comment to make, why would I not understand as I currently have both these handsets?

I fully agree that the iPhone is prone to smashing if dropped on concrete, or tiles. However dont kid yourself that dropping the SGS2 on concrete wont smash, scratch, or dent the phone. Pretty much any electrical device dropped on concrete will suffer damage. Thats a fact. Actually its easier to get a replacement back for the iPhone, how do you replace the plastic casing of the SGS2 if it gets cracked or dented??

And no my SGS2 is NOT defective, any phone constructed of lightweight plastics will creak and flex when gripped and your SGS2 is no different, EVERY plastic phone I have ever held does the same. Why? Because thats the nature of plastic. Another fact for you
__________________
iPad Air (16GB White) iPhone 5S (16GB Space Gray) Mac Mini Apple TV Retina iPad Mini (16GB White)
My Flickr
Sir Ruben is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2011, 05:37 AM   #128
decafjava
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Geneva
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJones View Post
I switched from an AT&T iPhone 4 to a Verizon 4G LTE Thunderbolt so I could secure unlimited 4G data before July 7th. At first I didn't think I'd be all that happy with the Android platform but I decided to suck it up because I really wanted the 4G LTE. I've had the phone for a little while now and absolutely love it!

The 4.3" screen is amazing! Sure the pixel density isn't as high as the iPhone 4 but the amount of space you have on this screen makes up for it. Looking at my sister’s iPhone 4 gets frustrating because the screen feels so small and cramped. The 4.3" screen obviously makes the phone bigger but I haven't really noticed a difference carrying it in my pocket and I got use to the size difference quickly. HTC makes nice hardware that doesn't feel cheap at all.

Widgets and customization are fantastic. I really feel that widgets are a must on any phone I'm going to own from now on. I think Apple dropped the ball with iOS 5 not adding widgets to the home screen. I love being able to customize my phone in so many different ways instead of being stuck with a grid of icons and a wallpaper I can change. If you're into jailbreaking on iPhone like I was you'll absolutely love what you can do on Android.

The 4 buttons on the bottom of the phone add so much functionality and allow for even more screen realty with the menu and back buttons not taking up space on the screen. One button looks more aesthetically pleasing but in this case function wins over form.

Now, I'm not trolling, I still think Apple makes great hardware and has a very clean and easy to use OS. There are little things that I miss from iOS but overall Android is a better OS for me.

So there's a past iPhone user and Mac lover defending the Android OS.
Good post, but I still don't get people who switch from one platform to another so easily? I would not want to lose my apps even the free ones or the smartplaylists I set up through itunes. Sure it would be the same if I had an android based phone.

Last edited by decafjava; Jul 2, 2011 at 05:46 AM.
decafjava is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2011, 08:07 AM   #129
mrmacosx
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ruben View Post
Strange comment to make, why would I not understand as I currently have both these handsets?
Just experience with some people. Glad to see you're different.

Quote:
I fully agree that the iPhone is prone to smashing if dropped on concrete, or tiles. However dont kid yourself that dropping the SGS2 on concrete wont smash, scratch, or dent the phone.
I dropped one of my iPhone 4s on concrete once. Had a bumper on. Back glass was smashed and front was cracked. $200 to replace it.

I'm usually quite careful with my phones, but the GSII without a case is quite slippery and I've already dropped it multiple times, on hardwood floors (both facedown and on the top left corner), carpet and (by a friend) onto concrete (right on the bottom left corner). Nary a scuff on the screen, just some marks on the corner. Probably going to get its housing replaced soon, but no major nor minor damage that affects usability.

Quote:
Pretty much any electrical device dropped on concrete will suffer damage. Thats a fact.
See above. Have just dropped my Sensation flat on its beveled glass twice today, no scuffs or anything.

Quote:
Actually its easier to get a replacement back for the iPhone,
Replacement front glass isn't easy at all. Had to go to Apple and replace the entire phone.

Quote:
how do you replace the plastic casing of the SGS2 if it gets cracked or dented??
Like I said above, I'm probably going to get my housing replaced soon. Samsung says they'll do it and it'll take a day or two.

I would order a housing online, but the stores I've found are either only selling "OEM" housings (which, in my experience, are usually just fakes) or OOS. Here's one such store, just to show you that yes you can actually buy a housing for the i9100.

How do you take it apart? Remove back cover, unscrew bits and pieces and pull a bit. Same as every other phone, these are put together on an assembly line, not churned out as one piece from a magic machine or something.

Quote:
And no my SGS2 is NOT defective, any phone constructed of lightweight plastics will creak and flex when gripped and your SGS2 is no different, EVERY plastic phone I have ever held does the same. Why? Because thats the nature of plastic. Another fact for you
No need for facts, I have my GSII right in front of me. No matter how/where I grip it there are no creaks or flexing.

Why don't you ask and see if anyone else has this issue on xda? Or maybe you can post how to replicate your issue, then I'll see if I can replicate it.

My 3GS is also made of plastic, and that thing doesn't creak either.

So yeah, I'm pretty sure your GSII is defective.

Last edited by mrmacosx; Jul 2, 2011 at 08:15 AM.
mrmacosx is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2011, 08:44 AM   #130
LSUtigers03
macrumors 68000
 
LSUtigers03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafjava View Post
Good post, but I still don't get people who switch from one platform to another so easily? I would not want to lose my apps even the free ones or the smartplaylists I set up through itunes. Sure it would be the same if I had an android based phone.
You can use your iTunes playlists with Android and Windows Phone. I have an iPad to use the iOS apps I've bought over the years. Making the switch isn't really that hard.
LSUtigers03 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2011, 08:44 AM   #131
stevensr123
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
i also have the samsung galaxy s2 and have no probably with the quality of materials the phone is made of. there is no creaking or flexing. in fact i feel more confident in the design of this phone compared to the iphone 4 which is made of extremely weak glass. one drop (the only drop i had in the year of owning it) and the thing ****in broke on me.

i also like the look and feeling of this phone, i love the looks of the iphone 4 even better, however the samsung looks beautiful, feels nicer in the hand, feel more tougher and rigid plus im confident one drop won't brake the phone's glass considering the plastic can probably absorb the impact greater than glass plus the screen is made of the tough gorilla glass.

Last edited by stevensr123; Jul 2, 2011 at 08:52 AM.
stevensr123 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2011, 08:49 AM   #132
TheUndertow
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp700p View Post
No offense to anyone, but I find it interesting that whenever someone posts something along the lines of "iPhone is great! Android sucks!" theirs more people jumping in and trying to defend Android. Anyone who tries to speak highly of the iPhone gets either flamed or down voted.

Its not every post that's like this, but I do find it more often here. I lurk the most popular Android forms and I just don't see that type of behavior. Whenever someone says, "My new Android kicks iPhones ass" it seems all of them jump in and backup the op. No one ever defends the iPhone.

And its not just limited to this forum. It happens in social environments. Almost every time I am at any social gathering and the discussion of Android vs iPhone comes up, I notice the Android fans will immediately unite and argue for the Android. While iPhone fans are timid and will sometimes "agree" with the Android fans or won't say anything in defense for the iPhone.

This week, Google said they are activating 500k Android phones per day. I happen to catch this news on a very popular Android news site. The 500k activations weren't surprising, but the amount of true supporters for Android voicing their love for Android in the comments. Most of them were flames towards iPhone. But whenever I see positive news for iPhone on a popular Apple site (such as MacRumors, AppleInsider, AppleOwnz, 9to5mac.. etc..) no one comments positively or comment at all. No wonder their is 500k activations per day because most of the Android fans I have met are absolutely passionate about the Android. I use to see this with iPhone fans, but not so much anymore, even on internet forums or other mediums (magazines, newspaper articles.. etc..)

I just want to hear some explanations why that is. iPhone fans should be more united like the Android fans. I just find some of the self-loathing of the iPhone to be a disturbing and increasing trend.

Your thoughts?
There are all different kinds of people.

The kind that hit the forums "care" more than the ambivalent and tend to be more vocal of their opinions.

From there there are different kinds...

Some that defend Android and/ore iPhone/Android because they have either/or/both and...

Like to support the things they own (hard to bash something you already $upported) unless...

They fall into the camp that likes to buy things to bash, or...

They fall into the camp the can be objective and not fall into the respective fanboi's camps due to maturity/enlightenment/more important things to fight about.
__________________
.:Think For Yourself...Question Authority:.
TheUndertow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2011, 09:35 AM   #133
Sir Ruben
macrumors 65816
 
Sir Ruben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmacosx View Post
Why don't you ask and see if anyone else has this issue on xda? Or maybe you can post how to replicate your issue, then I'll see if I can replicate it.
Im not keeping the handset because even though I wouldnt mind the best of both worlds, the SGS2 is selling on eBay for a good sum at the moment. The idea is that I sell the SGS2 now, and then the iPhone 4 when I purchase the iPhone 5. That's quite a wedge of money from the sale of both of them and I stay within the IOS ecosystem that I enjoy.

Besides if I keep the SGS2 I cant hot swap the sim card between the two of them either due to the iPhone 4 using a microsim (although I could potentially use a microsim adapter). Anyway Id feel a bit over indulgent using the 2 leading handsets on the market 'just because' LOL.
__________________
iPad Air (16GB White) iPhone 5S (16GB Space Gray) Mac Mini Apple TV Retina iPad Mini (16GB White)
My Flickr

Last edited by Sir Ruben; Jul 2, 2011 at 09:47 AM.
Sir Ruben is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2011, 11:12 AM   #134
Vegastouch
macrumors 68040
 
Vegastouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmacosx View Post
If it creaks and flexes then you either haven't put the battery cover on properly (there are quite a few snaps) or you have a defective unit.

Re: the look- it's all opinions. Next to both my iPhone 4s the GSII looks and feels much better [imo].

The reason why the glass won't crack as easily on a normal phone with a glass touchscreen is because the screen's glass isn't the impact surface when the phone drops. If you drop your iPhone on any corner the glass will the bit hitting the floor/concrete/etc while with a normal phone it's the plastic body which will absorb some of the impact, rather than directly being transferred to the glass.

Not that you'd understand but I still feel compelled to explain.
Exactly! Ive dropped my phone a handful of times and no issues at all. Again as i said, i always put on a case on every phone so though i agree the iPhone looks great, its going to get covered up anyways and then im stuck with the same front as the first iPhone had over 4 years ago. Meanwhile, i can take my back cover off and change my battery and switch different micro cards in it if i want.
Im not knocking the iPhone as the guy above you stated, im just saying i dont get the "feels cheap" comments because im sure most use some sort of case on their phone and imo that bumper is a joke.

And remember, the last two iPhones had a plastic back that many were complaining about getting stress cracks so please stop with the elegant comments. It looked nice but it was plastic too!!! The first one (the best built one imo) had aluminum and was very slippery. I had to get a case on that one pronto!
Vegastouch is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2011, 11:28 AM   #135
mrmacosx
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensr123 View Post
i also have the samsung galaxy s2 and have no probably with the quality of materials the phone is made of. there is no creaking or flexing. in fact i feel more confident in the design of this phone compared to the iphone 4 which is made of extremely weak glass. one drop (the only drop i had in the year of owning it) and the thing ****in broke on me.

i also like the look and feeling of this phone, i love the looks of the iphone 4 even better, however the samsung looks beautiful, feels nicer in the hand, feel more tougher and rigid plus im confident one drop won't brake the phone's glass considering the plastic can probably absorb the impact greater than glass plus the screen is made of the tough gorilla glass.
The plastic design does make for a really light phone. Several people who've picked up my phone have asked me if it was real or a mockup. Then they ask if I have my battery in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ruben View Post
Im not keeping the handset because even though I wouldnt mind the best of both worlds, the SGS2 is selling on eBay for a good sum at the moment. The idea is that I sell the SGS2 now, and then the iPhone 4 when I purchase the iPhone 5. That's quite a wedge of money from the sale of both of them and I stay within the IOS ecosystem that I enjoy.

Besides if I keep the SGS2 I cant hot swap the sim card between the two of them either due to the iPhone 4 using a microsim (although I could potentially use a microsim adapter). Anyway Id feel a bit over indulgent using the 2 leading handsets on the market 'just because' LOL.
Whatever floats your boat Personally I have two lines on my account, and the microSIM in my 32GB iPhone has its number redirected to my GSII, and my 16GB 4 is used as an iPod in the car. Works great for me lol.

I'm still interested in your 'creaking' and 'flexing' handset- can you elaborate on what you have to do to replicate this?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegastouch View Post
Exactly! Ive dropped my phone a handful of times and no issues at all. Again as i said, i always put on a case on every phone so though i agree the iPhone looks great, its going to get covered up anyways and then im stuck with the same front as the first iPhone had over 4 years ago.
Part of the reason I decided to try something else after my 3G- I wanted something that looked and operated differently.
Still bought all the subsequent iPhone models but Android is just better for me imo.

Quote:
Im not knocking the iPhone as the guy above you stated, im just saying i dont get the "feels cheap" comments because im sure most use some sort of case on their phone and imo that bumper is a joke.
The bumper looks nice I guess but at the end of the day it won't really protect your phone. Same as my iPad's official case- the little clip on the back actually dented the back after I put the iPad in the case inside my bag How's that for design?

Quote:
And remember, the last two iPhones had a plastic back that many were complaining about getting stress cracks so please stop with the elegant comments. It looked nice but it was plastic too!!!
The point was that it didn't creak or flex, disproving his point that all plastic phones creak and flex. And my 3GS was one of them cracking along the dock connector and headphone jack- don't think I was the one saying it was elegant?

Quote:
The first one (the best built one imo) had aluminum and was very slippery. I had to get a case on that one pronto!
Oh yeah I loved my 1st gen iPhone. Shame the alu dented and created tiny pit marks on the corners even with the slightest hit or drop.
mrmacosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2011, 12:33 PM   #136
Bobby Corwen
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
This one dancer I know has a cricket Android handset. A cricket phone with data running android (of course the screen looks dull compared to mine, don't know what model it was).

Keep in mind this is a ratty cricket model.

She asked me what I was doing, I said I'm online arguing with people that Android is not as good as iPhone.

And she responded with, "but it is"

THATS when I realized it's all psychological underdog insecurity propaganda out there in the streets.

It's time to launch an "I'm an iPhone, and I'm an Android." commercial campaign.

"oh hi Android, im just playing infinity blade, it's got ps3 graphics, what are you doing? (charging my phone lol)"

Or whatever
Bobby Corwen is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2011, 12:41 PM   #137
DeathChill
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
I don't get what the anecdotes about dropping your phone prove. I've dropped my iPhone 4 numerous times (well, much of it is my two year old) and don't have a single mark on it. Does that mean that it is indestructible? Hell no. The same goes for any other phone.
DeathChill is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2011, 01:05 PM   #138
Vegastouch
macrumors 68040
 
Vegastouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmacosx View Post


The point was that it didn't creak or flex, disproving his point that all plastic phones creak and flex. And my 3GS was one of them cracking along the dock connector and headphone jack- don't think I was the one saying it was elegant
No you werent. I was speaking in general where someone a few posts up said it was elegant as many have said. And again, it looks nice but it isnt any better built than the others. The only REAL thing i like about the iPhone besides that its a good phone is the support. As long as Apple lets their stores swap out broken phones due to owner negligence, that is great for customers.

I mean something under warranty is one thing, but people bust them up themselves by being negligent and putting the phone in their pocket with their keys and such and still get new screens. Gotta love that. Have to love a company that rewards the non thinking man.
Vegastouch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2011, 01:16 PM   #139
mrmacosx
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Corwen View Post
This one dancer I know has a cricket Android handset. A cricket phone with data running android (of course the screen looks dull compared to mine, don't know what model it was).

Keep in mind this is a ratty cricket model.

She asked me what I was doing, I said I'm online arguing with people that Android is not as good as iPhone.

And she responded with, "but it is"
Cool story bro?

Quote:
THATS when I realized it's all psychological underdog insecurity propaganda out there in the streets.

It's time to launch an "I'm an iPhone, and I'm an Android." commercial campaign.

"oh hi Android, im just playing infinity blade, it's got ps3 graphics, what are you doing? (charging my phone lol)"

Or whatever
Oh hi iPhone, I'm just sideloading apps, customizing my homescreen with functional widgets and playing Riptide GP- it's got xbox 360 graphics. What are you doing? (rearranging my icons lol)

I guess that could work both ways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegastouch View Post
No you werent. I was speaking in general where someone a few posts up said it was elegant as many have said. And again, it looks nice but it isnt any better built than the others. The only REAL thing i like about the iPhone besides that its a good phone is the support. As long as Apple lets their stores swap out broken phones due to owner negligence, that is great for customers.

I mean something under warranty is one thing, but people bust them up themselves by being negligent and putting the phone in their pocket with their keys and such and still get new screens. Gotta love that. Have to love a company that rewards the non thinking man.
Seems they only do that in the US though. I paid $200 to replace my shattered iPhone (not that I was expecting it to be free or anything).
On the other hand, they told me that my mushy home button that would only work 1 out of 5 times was user damage, and that I would have to pay to get it fixed. I left. Couple months later I went back to get my MBP's glass trackpad replaced (non-responsive to clicks most of the time) and I asked them if they would repair the mushy home button- apparently it's 'in-spec' to have a button that only works occasionally.

Sigh. I wish they had techs who would replace the phone for any issue I have here.
mrmacosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2011, 02:01 PM   #140
Bobby Corwen
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmacosx View Post

Oh hi iPhone, I'm just sideloading apps, customizing my homescreen with functional widgets and playing Riptide GP- it's got xbox 360 graphics. What are you doing? (rearranging my icons lol)
Well thats why I had said youre charging your battery. lol lol lol

you gotta be more careful before you dig yourself into a trap.

Lol I dont even have to do anything against these people, I just give them rope and let them hang themselves.. then just Kick the chair from underneath them... wow.

I also think its appropriate you used XB360 to my PS3 because its indicative of the subtle differences. PS3 has the best exclusive games with better graphics than 360 (not on titles that are multi-platform but the exclusives at least ) it has the better build quality (no 60% chance of Red Ring) and it also has better hardware that plays bluray etc.

The elegant choice is PS3 but despite that, the $150 cheaper 360 is more mainstream in a blue collar way.

Finally, Riptide is more comparable to the Real Racings and the Need for Speeds and kart games that all trump that little turd-gem. I said Infinity Blade. Riptide is not quite as revolutionary is it?

And lets not even bring up the Tiny wings situation.

How many years or months did it take them, to get Angry Birds? Cut the rope JUST came out?! I beat that game like a year ago.

And how will this bode for the future? How long will everything be 2nd rate? 2nd Place?

Last edited by Bobby Corwen; Jul 2, 2011 at 02:18 PM.
Bobby Corwen is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2011, 02:07 PM   #141
nateo200
macrumors 68020
 
nateo200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Rendering......
Because I have a spine. Albeit currently one in pain maybe that has to do with something... partially kidding. No but seriously its a respectable OS. Just because your on one "side" or better yet you own one doesn't mean your automatically against the other....
__________________
-15" rMBP 2.4/8/256/650M, FCP X, AE CS5.5, PS CS6
-USB3 180GB SSD, Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt
-Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0
-Canon 550D, GoPro3 Black, GoPro3 Silver
nateo200 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2011, 02:44 PM   #142
Rodimus Prime
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Bobby your post is a great example of why people defend Android here because it is so full of miss information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Corwen View Post
Well thats why I had said youre charging your battery. lol lol lol

you gotta be more careful before you dig yourself into a trap.
Umm going to tell you this the widgets do not suck down the battery or drain it quickly. The larger screens suck down juice like no tomorrow but when you do a battery usage break down of the phone widgets generally do not even make it up to 1% of the usage. The screen, cell idle, and browsers account for around 80% of my phones power usage. Not that any of those 3 should surprise any one. I am willing to bet on most iPhones it would be the same break down accounting for the power drain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Corwen View Post
Lol I dont even have to do anything against these people, I just give them rope and let them hang themselves.. then just Kick the chair from underneath them... wow.

I also think its appropriate you used XB360 to my PS3 because its indicative of the subtle differences. PS3 has the best exclusive games with better graphics than 360 (not on titles that are multi-platform but the exclusives at least ) it has the better build quality (no 60% chance of Red Ring) and it also has better hardware that plays bluray etc.

The elegant choice is PS3 but despite that, the $150 cheaper 360 is more mainstream in a blue collar way.

Finally, Riptide is more comparable to the Real Racings and the Need for Speeds and kart games that all trump that little turd-gem. I said Infinity Blade. Riptide is not quite as revolutionary is it?

And lets not even bring up the Tiny wings situation.

How many years or months did it take them, to get Angry Birds? Cut the rope JUST came out?! I beat that game like a year ago.

And how will this bode for the future? How long will everything be 2nd rate? 2nd Place?
And yet Android has many great games. We have a higher res version of Fruit ninja. A higher res version of Galaxy on Fire. Rip tide. Dungeon Defenders is a great game.

Bug you focus on games. I could go on and point out the many different keyboard choices that Android phone has. Swype a lot of people love. I personally use Swiftkey X as my keyboard which auto correct puts the iPhones to shame.

Do not like the stock SMS clinet well get a different one. I use Go SMS. (Chomps SMS and Handsents are 2 other popular ones) email same way. K9 a lot of people use.

Either way you post is a classical example of why people defend android phone here because there is so much miss information in it.
Rodimus Prime is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2011, 02:49 PM   #143
mrmacosx
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-hk; GT-I9100 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Corwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmacosx

Oh hi iPhone, I'm just sideloading apps, customizing my homescreen with functional widgets and playing Riptide GP- it's got xbox 360 graphics. What are you doing? (rearranging my icons lol)
Well thats why I had said youre charging your battery. lol lol lol

you gotta be more careful before you dig yourself into a trap.

Lol I dont even have to do anything against these people, I just give them rope and let them hang themselves.. then just Kick the chair from underneath them... wow.

I also think its appropriate you used XB360 to my PS3 because its indicative of the subtle differences. PS3 has the best exclusive games with better graphics than 360 (not on titles that are multi-platform but the exclusives at least ) it has the better build quality (no 60% chance of Red Ring) and it also has better hardware that plays bluray etc.

The elegant choice is PS3 but despite that, the $150 cheaper 360 is more mainstream in a blue collar way.

Finally, Riptide is more comparable to the Real Racings and the Need for Speeds and kart games that all trump that little turd-gem. I said Infinity Blade. Riptide is not quite as revolutionary is it?

And lets not even bring up the Tiny wings situation.

How many years or months did it take them, to get Angry Birds? Cut the rope JUST came out?! I beat that game like a year ago.

And how will this bode for the future? How long will everything be 2nd rate? 2nd Place?
So playing video games is all you can do on the iPhone?

Hanging yourself ftw. (and "...wow.")

As the poster above me said, the screen accounts for the majority of power usage. That said, even if widgets did use more juice I wouldn't mind- information at a glance over a sea of icons any day. Let me also say here that you would have to launch an app to get the same amount of info I can get from my widgets, which I bet uses up more power than all my widgets do combined.

By the way, Infinity Blade is quite a repetitive game. If you want to talk about good games with great graphics, perhaps Dungeon Defenders is a better comparison, which is available on both iOS and Android. Looks far better on my GSII than my iPhone imo simply due to the larger screen and more vibrant colors.

Oh and normally I'm a PS3 fanboy but your post was nothing short of weird.

Last edited by mrmacosx; Jul 2, 2011 at 02:59 PM.
mrmacosx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2011, 04:02 PM   #144
Bobby Corwen
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
As these discussions happen keep in mind that all these comparisons are apples to apples comparisons that allows the merits of each OS to have a fair vs competition.

Dont ever forget that there is a lot more that makes the iPhone the #1 consumer choice.

If we are comparing from the perspective of the consumer, the iPhone packs on way more pros if we take it to the macro level.

These comparisons are just exhibition matches.

It takes way more than winning any 1 category, to topple this eco-system. But thats the sad thing, even with other aspects handicapped on the Apple side by not taking into account the elements, Android cant even reach even ground on that pretend level because it cant overcome that brick wall in its way called "smoothness"

There is nothing on earth that compares to the Apple eco-system and these discussions are just for the sake of semantics, thats why when you guys try to use phrases that imply we are on equal footing and that we are being biased for thinking we are better, our reaction can only be that you are misrepresenting the reality of the way things are in 2011.

When the facts change, I will be glad to update my attitude accordingly but until then:

iPhone 4 > all.

Last edited by Bobby Corwen; Jul 2, 2011 at 04:16 PM.
Bobby Corwen is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2011, 04:10 PM   #145
Bobby Corwen
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmacosx View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-hk; GT-I9100 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)



So playing video games is all you can do on the iPhone?

Hanging yourself ftw. (and "...wow.")

As the poster above me said, the screen accounts for the majority of power usage. That said, even if widgets did use more juice I wouldn't mind- information at a glance over a sea of icons any day. Let me also say here that you would have to launch an app to get the same amount of info I can get from my widgets, which I bet uses up more power than all my widgets do combined.

By the way, Infinity Blade is quite a repetitive game. If you want to talk about good games with great graphics, perhaps Dungeon Defenders is a better comparison, which is available on both iOS and Android. Looks far better on my GSII than my iPhone imo simply due to the larger screen and more vibrant colors.

Oh and normally I'm a PS3 fanboy but your post was nothing short of weird.
What was weird about the PS3 analogy? God of War 3, Heavy Rain, Uncharted 2, there is no equivalent critically or graphically on 360. All of those titles have graphics that are a notch above because they take advantage of the superior hardware. Everybody knows the XB360 was notorious for breaking and laser burning disks and it was like a critical problem for years to the point where low key there should have been a recall because of the horrible way they designed their hardware and the way the placed the drive to make it prone to laser burn disks. On the other hand, I still have my original 60GB PS3 working flawlessly.

So I dont see what was weird. Sony is to Apple what Microsoft is to Android.
Bobby Corwen is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2011, 04:37 PM   #146
sinsin07
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
From the RIM open letter:

"We simply have to admit that Apple is nailing this and it is one of the reasons they have people lining up overnight at stores around the world, and products sold out for months. These people aren’t hypnotized zombies, they simply love beautifully designed products that are user centric and work how they are supposed to work. Android has a major weakness — it will always lack the simplicity and elegance that comes with end-to-end device software, middleware and hardware control."

"Developing for BlackBerry is painful, and despite what you’ve been told, things haven’t really changed that much since Jamie Murai’s letter. Our SDK / development platform is like a rundown 1990′s Ford Explorer. Then there’s Apple, which has a shiny new BMW M3… just such a pleasure to drive. Developers want and need quality tools."

"25 million iPad users don’t care that it doesn’t have Flash or true multitasking, so why make that a focus in our campaigns? I’ll answer that for you: it’s because that’s all that differentiates our products and its lazy marketing. I’ve never seen someone buy product B because it has something product A doesn’t have. People buy product B because they want and lust after product B."

"Also an important note regarding our marketing: a product’s technical superiority does not equal desire, and therefore sales… How many Linux laptops are getting sold? How did Betamax go? My mother wants an iPad and iPhone because it is simple and appeals to her. Powerful multitasking doesn’t."

People buy into a brand / product not just because of features, but because of what it stands for and what it delivers to them. People don’t buy “what you do,” people buy “why you do it.”

We missed not boldly reacting to the threat of iPhone when we saw it in January over four years ago. We laughed and said they are trying to put a computer on a phone, that it won’t work.

As you can see from the disillusioned RIM employee, Apple is the standard to which the rest are compared. Look anywhere on the net, you will find more comparison to IOS vs Android vs RIM vs Webos vs WinMo7. Nobody really cares about Android vs RIM Vs Webos.

You would think that with the lack of flash on the iPad, and the fact that we have flash enabled Android tablets, that the iPad would be getting killed in the market. Well that didn't happen. Apparently the flash argument is not an argument at all. Product sold is what matters.

Apple quality is why you have people coming into the US during new ipad/iphone launches to buy up product and sell on the black market back in the Asian markets. This is why you have lines around the block for Apple iPhone/iPad launches. Nobody really is that over enthused about a Android launch, it just a dime a dozen product.

Last edited by sinsin07; Jul 2, 2011 at 04:47 PM.
sinsin07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2011, 04:45 PM   #147
wordoflife
macrumors 604
 
wordoflife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Republic City, URN.
Wow, Bobby is so incredibly wrong.
You're like a superiphonefanboyextremist.

I like iOS a lot ... but you're just wrong. Wow.

This thread kind of reminds me of this picture
Not going to show the image because I'll probably get banned
__________________
"When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change."
wordoflife is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2011, 04:54 PM   #148
mysterioustko
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Corwen View Post
As these discussions happen keep in mind that all these comparisons are apples to apples comparisons that allows the merits of each OS to have a fair vs competition.

Dont ever forget that there is a lot more that makes the iPhone the #1 consumer choice.

If we are comparing from the perspective of the consumer, the iPhone packs on way more pros if we take it to the macro level.

These comparisons are just exhibition matches.

It takes way more than winning any 1 category, to topple this eco-system. But thats the sad thing, even with other aspects handicapped on the Apple side by not taking into account the elements, Android cant even reach even ground on that pretend level because it cant overcome that brick wall in its way called "smoothness"

There is nothing on earth that compares to the Apple eco-system and these discussions are just for the sake of semantics, thats why when you guys try to use phrases that imply we are on equal footing and that we are being biased for thinking we are better, our reaction can only be that you are misrepresenting the reality of the way things are in 2011.

When the facts change, I will be glad to update my attitude accordingly but until then:

iPhone 4 > all.
As stated earlier in this discussion the same things that you call strengths some people call weaknesses. As for smoothness, what you seem to be failing to realize is that ANDROID IS NOT A PHONE, ANDROID IS AN OS that is on different phones. Every android phone does not lag, and every android phone is not smooth. I gave you an example of a phone that definitely gives the iphone 4 a run for it's money in the Nexus S. If you want to make a comparison don't compare a phone to an OS, compare a phone to a phone. We were having a discussion earlier where you we were talking weakness and strengths, but didn't get any further responses lol. But yeah believe it or not, there are phones that are on par or beyond the iPhone 4. What you have to understand is the iphone wasn't designed to be a world beater. It was designed to be a phone with general smartphone features and a simplified interface that wouldn't take much savvy to operate. For what it was designed to do, it does well (hence the smoothness, it only really does one function at a time..so it should be smooth), however it is not the end all be all of phones..nor was it designed to be.
mysterioustko is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2011, 05:05 PM   #149
Bobby Corwen
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordoflife View Post
Wow, Bobby is so incredibly wrong.
You're like a superiphonefanboyextremist.

I like iOS a lot ... but you're just wrong. Wow.

This thread kind of reminds me of this picture
Not going to show the image because I'll probably get banned
Lol I saved that picture by the way its amazingly hilarious.

I think you should keep in perspective that the level of detail I go into is not indicative of how seriously I take it.

Have you ever played a game, and there was no real point to it, but you still played and completed optional objectives?

Its kind of like that. I am never that truly attached to what I say, which allows me to be more relatable raw and honest with people because there is no real point to anything. I mean 80 years from now we will all be gone.

The level of immersion we get to is pointless, but not more pointless than anything else in existence. Arguably, nothing is more or less significant than what we are talking about.

It reaches a level of arbitrary-ness that borders on art.
Bobby Corwen is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2011, 05:07 PM   #150
sinsin07
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Corwen View Post
As these discussions happen keep in mind that all these comparisons are apples to apples comparisons that allows the merits of each OS to have a fair vs competition.

Dont ever forget that there is a lot more that makes the iPhone the #1 consumer choice.

If we are comparing from the perspective of the consumer, the iPhone packs on way more pros if we take it to the macro level.

These comparisons are just exhibition matches.

It takes way more than winning any 1 category, to topple this eco-system. But thats the sad thing, even with other aspects handicapped on the Apple side by not taking into account the elements, Android cant even reach even ground on that pretend level because it cant overcome that brick wall in its way called "smoothness"

There is nothing on earth that compares to the Apple eco-system and these discussions are just for the sake of semantics, thats why when you guys try to use phrases that imply we are on equal footing and that we are being biased for thinking we are better, our reaction can only be that you are misrepresenting the reality of the way things are in 2011.

When the facts change, I will be glad to update my attitude accordingly but until then:

iPhone 4 > all.
Well said. I do like Android hardware in some aspects. However things like this is are a problem:
Just How Many Android Tablet Apps Are There?

Too much mystery in the Android world.

1: What apps run on which devices
2: Which devices run which OS
3: Which devices will get the latest OS updates
4: Which devices will not get the latest updates
5: Which carrier's are slow with OS updates
6: Which carrier's over-layed their own interface, and what the ramifications are.
7: Which apps are Honeycomb optimized

When you buy an Android device, you know what you have in your hand at the moment, but you are not always sure what you will have in the future. Even Google recognizes this, a quick search yields these results:
Google to tighten control on Android
sinsin07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why do TI calculators cost so much ert3 Community Discussion 33 Jul 8, 2012 08:22 PM
Why do Non-Contract phones cost so much (And can Apple change that?) urkel iPhone 7 Oct 8, 2011 03:06 PM
Why Do People Hate iTunes so Much? waynechriss Mac Applications and Mac App Store 87 Sep 26, 2010 02:46 PM
Why do pressroom cameras make so much noise? qveda Digital Photography 18 Apr 30, 2009 07:30 PM
Why do Apple customers care so much? MacBytes MacBytes.com News Discussion 19 Dec 15, 2007 07:46 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:05 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC