Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jp700p

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
No offense to anyone, but I find it interesting that whenever someone posts something along the lines of "iPhone is great! Android sucks!" theirs more people jumping in and trying to defend Android. Anyone who tries to speak highly of the iPhone gets either flamed or down voted.

Its not every post that's like this, but I do find it more often here. I lurk the most popular Android forms and I just don't see that type of behavior. Whenever someone says, "My new Android kicks iPhones ass" it seems all of them jump in and backup the op. No one ever defends the iPhone.

And its not just limited to this forum. It happens in social environments. Almost every time I am at any social gathering and the discussion of Android vs iPhone comes up, I notice the Android fans will immediately unite and argue for the Android. While iPhone fans are timid and will sometimes "agree" with the Android fans or won't say anything in defense for the iPhone.

This week, Google said they are activating 500k Android phones per day. I happen to catch this news on a very popular Android news site. The 500k activations weren't surprising, but the amount of true supporters for Android voicing their love for Android in the comments. Most of them were flames towards iPhone. But whenever I see positive news for iPhone on a popular Apple site (such as MacRumors, AppleInsider, AppleOwnz, 9to5mac.. etc..) no one comments positively or comment at all. No wonder their is 500k activations per day because most of the Android fans I have met are absolutely passionate about the Android. I use to see this with iPhone fans, but not so much anymore, even on internet forums or other mediums (magazines, newspaper articles.. etc..)

I just want to hear some explanations why that is. iPhone fans should be more united like the Android fans. I just find some of the self-loathing of the iPhone to be a disturbing and increasing trend.

Your thoughts?

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
Clever troll hiding behind paragraphs?

In case I'm wrong, it's probably because it's a platform worth defending. It's kind of popular these days y'know.

Another decent percentage of the defense is due to reverse fanboy-ism. It's what I call it when you're a fanboy, through and through, and force yourself to defend other companies' products now and again just to keep the field even ;)

Also...

You must be new here. :)

Last edited:

Alaerian

Jan 6, 2005
A barstool, Innis & Gunn in hand
No one ever defends the iPhone.
<...>
While iPhone fans are timid and will sometimes "agree" with the Android fans or won't say anything in defense for the iPhone.
<...>
iPhone fans should be more united like the Android fans. I just find some of the self-loathing of the iPhone to be a disturbing and increasing trend.
You must be new here. :)

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
Android sucks.
iPhone sucks.
Xbox 360 sucks.
PS3 sucks.
PC's suck.
Mac's suck.
Chocolate ice creams sucks.
Vanilla ice cream sucks.

There. Glad we got that out of the way.

Bottom line: everyone likes to defend what they love. But the success of both the iPhone and Android is beneficial to us all! Long live competition!

surfologist87

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
Because it is very popular. There are so many different android phones on the market today its really amazing what they have done.

I have an HTC Evo, which is an fabulous phone. FOR ME AND WHAT I WANT out of a phone, it is perfect, and suits me better than an iPhone. Ive had an iPhone before and i do miss it, and if and when i switch to verizon soon i will be getting one.

I frequently visit and post in android forums, and believe me, there are many many iPhone threads where people defend, bash, and compare our android to your iPhone. This is also a major forum, discussing the iPhone. Its just natural that people are going to come here too and defend, bash, and compare their iPhone to our androids.

Enjoy your phones, do your research, and enjoy the raping from the cell phone companies!!!

jp700p

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
Clever troll hiding behind paragraphs?

In case I'm wrong, it's probably because it's a platform worth defending. It's kind of popular these days y'know.

Another decent percentage of the defense is due to reverse fanboy-ism. It's what I call it when you're a fanboy, through and through, and force yourself to defend other companies' products now and again just to keep the field even ;)

Also...

Again.. now i'm being called a troll just because I am trying to see why theirs so much defending of Android products on an iPhone forum.

I take no offense to the comment at all, just further proves my point.

Why should iPhone fans be forced to defend Android? Why be fake about it? Android simply can not compete with the iPhone. I find more Android users going back to iPhone then iPhone users going back to Android.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I dont defend iOS or Android, Apple or Google, etc. I dont even care if my phone is made by Motorola (sorry Motorola). I defend what is good for my needs.

iOS fits most of my needs, but I really like Android too. Why should I stick with just one of them? That would be REALLY STUPID. It would have no benefits for me. Ill go wherever the good experience is.

Thats why last year I changed all of my windows machines for macs, because OS X is just awesome! Far superior than windows, but that doesnt mean that in the future I wont go back to windows if I see Mac is not good enough and windows has some real enhancements and that kind of stuff.

Im not loyal to anybody but me.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
It's just perception.

The truth is that nobody even joins those threads to defend iPhone because the would be stooping to their level.

No relevant conversation can be had at this time because iPhone is so far ahead on so many fundamental levels, the choice is not even in question so the majority don't bother. Everything has already been said awhile ago in threads from back in the day.

But then EVERY SINGLE android fan will chip in because it's the chip on their shoulder and they always participate, propagating the notion that you feel people don't defend it.

It's that insecurity that makes them come here when we don't go there. Obviously the iPhone is the barometer that everything is up against so they are jealous of that and our response is just to ignore it.

So therefore all the conversations of late seem one sided. I was in there defending for awhile (in the trenches) but then I got in trouble for breaking conversation rules reall fast so I'm like forget it. I'm not gonna get into it with those people because it's pointless really and we are not really allowed to put down their opinions and make them feel silly.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Again.. now i'm being called a troll just because I am trying to see why theirs so much defending of Android products on an iPhone forum.

Why should iPhone fans be forced to defend Android? Why be fake about it? Android simply can not compete with the iPhone. I find more Android users going back to iPhone then iPhone users going back to Android.

No one is "forced" to defend anything. I don't go out of my way to defend anything, but if I see people spreading false information I tend to correct them. More often than not it's idiots saying iOS/iPhone is the only good phone out there, but I also correct the other types of idiots.

What I don't get is why you think people need to defend a phone at all. You aren't going to hurt it's feelings if you don't tell people nice things about it. Just be honest about your experiences.

Lotso

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
OC, California
Actually it's the scurrilous fanboys, more than anything.

I don't think being a fanboy is anything to be ashamed of. You are a fan of something, you have a passion for something, nothing wrong with that; it's what makes us human.

Now Blind Fanboys, that's another story.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

It exact statements like this that cause what you're describing--simple blind Apple fanboyism. I'm a huge fan of Apple--our house is full of their stuff and that's my preference but you have to be blindly ignorant to honestly believe that Apple's hardware and software are superior in every way to all other devices. It's something called objectivity.

And thus, this post serves as a perfect example of a diehard Apple fan supporting Android, as you put it (and I've never owned an Android device).

Last edited:

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
It exact statements like this that cause what you're describing--simple blind Apple fanboyism. I'm a huge fan of Apple--our house is full of their stuff and that's my preference but you have to be blindly ignorant to honestly believe that Apple's hardware and software are superior in every way to all other devices. It's something called objectivity.

And this post serves as a perfect example of a diehard Apple fan supporting Android, as you put it.

Please dont resort to calling people names.

The same can be said "blindingly ignorant" to those who think iOS is not in a class of it's own meaning you have no taste for fashion or design or aesthetics.

Every time someone tries to downplay the iOS we know you are just jealous.

Are you so blind you can't tell the difference between something elegant and something 2nd rate?

Who ARE these people? Stop saying we are fanboys. Apple is the envy of planet earth.

Act like it.

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
I think it's really peculiar too. This is an Apple forum. I can't for the life of me imagine being such a lifeless loser to troll the Android or HP or whatever forums. It's so strange they hang out here and just crap on Apple software and hardware.

Pmoser

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2011

The same can be said "blindingly ignorant" to those who think iOS is not in a class of it's own meaning you have no taste for fashion or design or aesthetics.

Are you so blind you can't tell the difference between something elegant and something 2nd rate?

Who ARE these people? Stop saying we are fanboys. Apple is the envy of planet earth.

Act like it.

This is why people hate apple owners and apple. The blind fanboism. I have windows devices, mac devices, android phone and an Ipod touch. Each system has there own merits. Blindly defending something though is just wrong.

flipster

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
Boston
Because the people on this forum are mature enough to admit that there are better phones out there than the iPhone. This is a good quality. When you have open minded people, you have a better community.

It's like the PC versus Mac thing. Mac people don't hate on Windows, but Windows users will hate on Macs. iPhone users don't hate on Android, but Android users hate on iPhones. See what I'm getting at ;)? Apple will, and always will be the king of the cell phone market now. They came into it, dominated it, revolutionized it, and made it theirs, and that's a fact.

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
Android is complete rubbish. I recently got possession of a Thunderbolt and remembered how horribly stupid the design is.

Things that take 1 tap on the iPhone to do will require 2-3 on the Thunderbolt. Stability is crap and the phone's materials remind me of poor quality Lego parts.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
This is why people hate apple owners and apple. The blind fanboism. I have windows devices, mac devices, android phone and an Ipod touch. Each system has there own merits. Blindly defending something though is just wrong.

But we don't care about haters, and we are not blind, in fact we can see better. We know what we like and thoroughly enjoy the aesthetics and it's not a blind admiration, but a well thought out one that all of the earth agrees with, Americas, Asia, Europe, everyone loves apple. We are not blind. We have great reasons to believe what we believe.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Act like it.

Thanks for proving my point.

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
I don't think being a fanboy is anything to be ashamed of. You are a fan of something, you have a passion for something, nothing wrong with that; it's what makes us human.

Now Blind Fanboys, that's another story.

I agree with the concept, just the wording that's a bit of an issue. I view people who are very passionate about a product as enthusiasts, such as myself. They are eager to have intelligent conversations without the insults and name calling that are part and parcel of every fanboys negative attitude and eagerness to attack.

In my postings I never call people names or assault their favorite device. There is no perfect phone and that's the good news. If there were it would be awfully boring.

It's their outlandish claims, usually made from a position of ignorance (or outright desire to insult), not first hand knowledge and experience that sets them apart from true enthusiasts that appreciate the different devices with there own set of pros and cons.

Pmoser

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2011
But we don't care about haters, and we are not blind, in fact we can see better. We know what we like and thoroughly enjoy the aesthetics and it's not a blind admiration, bit a well thought out one that all of the earth agrees with, Americas, Asia, Europe, everyone loves apple. We are not blind. We have great reasons to know what we know.

If all the earth loves apple. Why is Microsoft winning in the sales of computers. Why is android winning in smart phone sales.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.