Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paradiseisland

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Paradise Island - Guam USA
I have a new iMac 800 with superdrive running OSX. I also own an older iMac 333 running on OS 8.6. I recently purchased a new Microtek Scanmaker 4900 scanner that requires OS9 or newer. I want to use the scanner with my older iMac not on my new machine. The two machines are in two different locations several miles apart. Is it possible to upgrade the operatng system in my old iMac to system 9 by using the Mac OS 9 install disk that came with my new iMac? Any information will be greatly appreciated.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Probably.

I was able to upgrade a G3 Powerbook to OS9 with the CD that came with my iBook. Although it doesn't say it I believe that it's identical to a normal OS9 install CD.

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Depends

It should be easy to do so with a regular 9 CD, might be more difficult if you use the "system install CD" that came with the iMac, assuming it wasn't OS X. The real issue is making sure that you customize the install to make sure it installs all the features you need on a older iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.