Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pcomac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2011
so microcenter is having a sale where you get mac pro 13" for $999
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0358117
but at the same time they are selling macbook white for $999
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0337714

am i missing something??? i thought mac pro was better than macbook white so why is the price the same? i dont really understand the specs in computer but usually better specs cost more. so is the mac pro in the link above inferior to the macbook white as in specs? how can i tell if the mac pro is 2011 edition and not an older one?

if i buy from microcenter and something is wrong in the computer, can i bring it to an apple store and get it fixed for free if i dont buy the apple 3 year care thing? how do you get apple to do price match?

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
Nope. You're not missing anything. I took advantage of this sale a little over a month ago. It's just that the MBP is on sale and the MB is at normal price.

Jump on it by having the Apple store price match it. That's what I did.

pcomac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2011
what do you need to get them to give you a price match? oh im also a student so do i still get the back to school deal even if i do price match?

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
I just walked in and they looked up the price on MicroCenter's website on one of their iMacs.

The difference is the spec bump and addition of the ThunderBolt port.

pcomac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2011
what do you mean by spec bump and which one doesnt have that?

brandon8u

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2009
My House
Apple doesn't allow stacking or doing combo offers. I didn't know they do price match, if they do just print out the online listing and take it in. Make sure they are the exact same specs.

rex450se

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Independence, MO
I can vouch for the Apple Store price matching. I just went in and brought the Micro Center ad with me, but they still looked it up on the computer, then matched it. They said they could only do it because Micro Center is an Authorized Reseller. If it was some store, like a Walmart, that had them but wasn't an Authorized Reseller, they wouldn't do it. If you do get them to price match I doubt you will get the $100 Gift Card but you still come out ahead. It's not difficult and they had no problem doing it.

Victor

DaGreat01

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
This is awesome! I didn't know they did price matching. So if i were to do this would i just tell them to look on the MicroCenter website and it's as simple as that?

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
I went to the Microcenter site and there are no prices listed, you have to add it to your cart before you can see the price. On the i5 MacBook Pro, you have to choose a store and there isn't one anywhere near where I live. As I am already traveling over an hour to my closest Apple Store, I really don't think they'll do the price match as it would be impractical to get it from that source. Anyone have experience otherwise? If this thing is really only $999, then that's $100 less than I'll get it with my education discount and would definitely be worth looking into! Can someone post a link to something that will show the actual price that I could print out and take with me? If they'll give me $100 off, I'll take it so long as I still get that $100 app store card and I've pretty much already decided what all I'm buying with that bad boy! :D

pcomac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2011
wouldnt it be a less of a hassle to just buy it from microcenter? i searched online and the microcenter is closer to my home than apple store. is there anything i should know about microcenter before i buy at their place?

Last edited:

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
wouldnt it be a less of a hassle to just buy it from microcenter? i searched online and the microcenter is closer to my home than apple store. is there anything i should know about microcenter before i buy at their place?

I don't know anything about microcenter, had never even heard of it until I started seeing it mentioned on this forum, but I think the OP had asked if he was eligible for the back to school app store gift card if he bought it at microcenter and someone mentioned price matching. That's what I'm going to be going for, if I could ever figure out how to actually see the prices on microcenter!

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
I don't know anything about microcenter, had never even heard of it until I started seeing it mentioned on this forum, but I think the OP had asked if he was eligible for the back to school app store gift card if he bought it at microcenter and someone mentioned price matching. That's what I'm going to be going for, if I could ever figure out how to actually see the prices on microcenter!

Microcenter is an authorized Apple retailer, so no worries on that score.

To see prices, you need to first choose a store. At the top of the home page (http://www.microcenter.com) is a pull-down menu that says "please choose a store". Pick the one closest to you. Prices will now be visible, although for the MBP special you won't see it until you put it in your cart.

pcomac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2011
wait...... do you have to buy the special MBP deal online or can you go to the microcenter store and buy it?

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Finally figured out that if I choose web store at the top it will let me see prices. Unfortunately, the closest store to me is over 4 hours away so that's not exactly practical. I'm already driving over an hour one way to buy my MBP, adding another 6 hours to the trip plus all that extra gas mileage isn't worth saving $100. Heck, I'd probably spend that much on gas at these prices! :eek:

DanMacApple

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
You can also go to best buy for a price match and earn reward zone points, I believe I received an extra $20 in rewards cert.

2ndname

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2011
I just bought my fiance her Macbook Pro 13" from Best Buy last weekend, can I just bring the receipt to BB and ask them to price match the difference? Would I need to print the online price or just have them go online for me at customer service?

Vudoo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Dallas Metroplex
I just bought my fiance her Macbook Pro 13" from Best Buy last weekend, can I just bring the receipt to BB and ask them to price match the difference? Would I need to print the online price or just have them go online for me at customer service?

If you have a Microcenter in your area, they will price match it. I usually show them the price on my iPhone, but they will either go online or call as well.

2ndname

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2011
Unsure why this isn't considered a hot deal for non students. I just price matched a MBP 13" that we picked up last week from BB and it came down to $999 + tax. Can't believe that I can get a MBP for this price.

pcomac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2011
if you buy from BB in stores, how do you get the reward points if you have an account (i just made one). is there a card that you use? how does it work?

so from what im reading, as long as there is a microcenter that is 20 miles or less from BB, BB will price match?

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
if you buy from BB in stores, how do you get the reward points if you have an account (i just made one). is there a card that you use? how does it work?

so from what im reading, as long as there is a microcenter that is 20 miles or less from BB, BB will price match?

You can print out a card from myrewardzone.com or they'll have you in the system by phone number, too. I thought it was 50 miles, but maybe you can just ask nicely and they'll do it for you. If you're a student, buy AppleCare from Apple with the nice student discount. Don't pay full price at a retailer. You can do AppleCare by itself online.

pcomac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2011
:eek: BB is not an authorized apple reseller which means you wont get the free upgrade to lion if you buy your MBP from BB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.