Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pixiedei

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2008
I want to disable the subtitles on MKVs. All of them, I don't want any of them at all in Quicktime 7 because they mess up my image sequences. I can't turn them off.

I delete the .srt files and have the Perian load external subtitles option unchecked, yet still MKV's load with subtitles and their is no option in the app to turn it off, the subtitles bit is greyed. Sometimes they even load with the title displaying as "English" instead of the name of the file itself. WTF?

I have uninstalled and reinstalled both Quicktime Player 7 and Perian with no success.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Can the subtitles be shut off in Movist or VLC Player? .mkv files can have the subtitles stored inside the .mkv and often don't need external .srt files.

pixiedei

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2008
the subtitles begin on in VLC but can be disabled with the in app option, unlike quicktime.

pixiedei

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2008
Yep, I need to be able to export video to image sequence and the only program I know that does it effectively is Quicktime Pro.

cookances

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2014
After a little bit of digging, I found an article which inform us:

As we all know, video formats, such as MKV, MP4 and AVI, can contain several subtitle streams in different formats or languages in one file. Technically, subtitles are divided into two types: hard subtitle and soft subtitle in video files. Hard subtitle is a part of the video images, and you cannot disable or hide it when playing the video file. Soft subtitle is an independent stream, and you can turn on or turn off it when playing.

There must be some subtitle stream in MKV file, so you cannot disable the subtitle by deleting independent subtitle srt file. And it seems there are some problem that QuickTime Player cannot disable internal subtitle when playing. You can try VLC to test if that subtitle can be disabled.

If the subtitle can be removed, here is a method on how to remove subtitle from MKV, MP4, AVI, etc with ease.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.