Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 2, 2011, 12:55 PM   #1
sevdo
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Skype push notification!!

I found app that lets you send push notifications, Skype Notify.
Tried it with a friend, push goes through even if neither of you are logged into skype. Worth a try to save battery.
sevdo is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2011, 01:09 PM   #2
shandyman
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Newbury, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevdo View Post
I found app that lets you send push notifications, Skype Notify.
Tried it with a friend, push goes through even if neither of you are logged into skype. Worth a try to save battery.
so you found an app that does the same thing that skype does? lol. Skype does push notifications still.....
shandyman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2011, 01:57 PM   #3
sevdo
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
I know, a little goofy, but it's fun
Go see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOpUVDvWEkY
Plus I can get my cousin in Greece to log on without the overseas texts...$$$.
sevdo is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2011, 02:00 PM   #4
shandyman
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Newbury, UK
ok watching that just makes me question why you just don't use the skype app?

you can send a message in there to someone in exactly the same way...
shandyman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2011, 02:04 PM   #5
sevdo
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Sure. But don't you both have to be logged into Skype and have it running?
Kills the battery on my phone...This way, I just open Skype when I need it to make a call.
sevdo is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2011, 02:10 PM   #6
shandyman
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Newbury, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevdo View Post
Sure. But don't you both have to be logged into Skype and have it running?
Kills the battery on my phone...This way, I just open Skype when I need it to make a call.
i log in once and it stays logged in for like a week or so, i don't have to stay in it to receive push notifications, it doesn't use any more battery when you're out of it than that skype notify app, or do you not get how multitasking works on the iPhone?! lol
shandyman is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2011, 02:14 PM   #7
dave420
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by shandyman View Post
i log in once and it stays logged in for like a week or so, i don't have to stay in it to receive push notifications, it doesn't use any more battery when you're out of it than that skype notify app, or do you not get how multitasking works on the iPhone?! lol
Do you get how it works? Skype doesn't use push notifications like other apps do. If you check the list of apps that you can allow/deny notifications for, you will notice Skype isn't there. Since Skype is a VoIP app it is an exception to the multitasking rule that other apps follow. Skype does run in the background, and in many people's opinions, it does drain the battery.
dave420 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2011, 02:22 PM   #8
shandyman
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Newbury, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave420 View Post
Do you get how it works? Skype doesn't use push notifications like other apps do. If you check the list of apps that you can allow/deny notifications for, you will notice Skype isn't there. Since Skype is a VoIP app it is an exception to the multitasking rule that other apps follow. Skype does run in the background, and in many people's opinions, it does drain the battery.
Skype only continues to run in the background when you're on an active call, that's only when it can run in the background, it uses the VOIP API,

The multitasking API's are as follows:
Background audio
Voice over IP
Background location
Push Notifications
Local notifications
Task completion
Fast app switching

It can only use one of those. The whole app isn't running, just one of those listed.

if your battery is dying, it's not cos of Skype.

Skype's push notifications settings are in the Skype Settings, why it's not in the notification settings i don't know, but it still uses the push notification API.

Tho this doesn't apply if you've JB'd and used one of the multitasking things there that keep all things running.

Last edited by shandyman; Jul 2, 2011 at 02:25 PM. Reason: added JB comment
shandyman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2011, 04:33 PM   #9
dave420
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
It doesn't use the push notification API, it uses the VOIP API which is briefly described here.
I just did a test. I turned off push notifications, then logged into Skype. I exited Skype with the home button, and waited 45 minutes. I called the device and the phone rang. How would it do this if push notifications are turned off? The answer is that some part of Skype is running in the background, and not using push notifications.
The app the OP mentioned sounds like a good solution to the battery problem I get when Skype is logged in and accepting calls.
dave420 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2011, 04:43 PM   #10
shandyman
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Newbury, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave420 View Post
It doesn't use the push notification API, it uses the VOIP API which is briefly described here.
I just did a test. I turned off push notifications, then logged into Skype. I exited Skype with the home button, and waited 45 minutes. I called the device and the phone rang. How would it do this if push notifications are turned off? The answer is that some part of Skype is running in the background, and not using push notifications.
The app the OP mentioned sounds like a good solution to the battery problem I get when Skype is logged in and accepting calls.
the voip API works much in the same way as the Push notifications API, basically it's inactive until it receives an incoming call, again, theis is not using anymore battery just like push notifications don't. That's why it doesn't show under push notifications.

the full Skype app is not running in the background, no battery gets used unless you then go on a call. that skype notify app is just a waste of time as you then have to open skype, log in, then await the call, whereas just using skype, it will open up straight away.

plus looking at that app, it looks so ugly, i wouldn't trust them with my skype login details!
shandyman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone: I cannot receive any twitter push notification or update the setting of notification. tkwlee iOS 7 7 Nov 22, 2013 07:03 AM
Push Notification hodap2001 iOS 7 0 Sep 18, 2013 09:23 PM
iPhone: Push Notification help WhackyNinja iOS 6 2 Jul 25, 2013 01:54 PM
iPad: No notification sound Facetime/Skype Dr. McKay iPad 0 Apr 17, 2013 06:45 AM
Push Notification: Question on generate push notification certificate cthesky iPhone/iPad Programming 2 Jan 9, 2013 07:49 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC