Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caravaggisto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2011
Hey all. :)

Does anyone know of a way to view all shortcuts in OS X - for all apps (Apple or 3rd party), utilities, OS preferences, etc? Ability to edit them, too, would be great, but not necessary.

Reasons I ask:
  • Sometimes when I add a shortcut in the Keyboard Shortcuts preference pane (System Preferences -> Keyboard), I overwrite something that I use but forgot existed (e.g., `cmd-F` for `full screen` or `find...` in a PDF reader).
  • I frequently have 2 or 3 apps open side-by-side that share several shortcuts that do quite different things (e.g., Firefox and XCode; `cmd-R`, `shift-cmd-B`, `cmd-[` or `] ). Being aware of these, and editing the shortcuts accordingly, would help me avoid mistakes and save time.
  • Some apps have hidden (not in-menu) shortcuts. Not that I lose sleep over this, but still... ;)

Sorry if there's already a thread on this. I've tried searching for something like this on several sites to no avail. The search words have some overlap with searches for keyboard shortcuts and other apps in general.

For those of us shortcut fiends and peripheral rodent eschewers among us, this would be a godsend!

Thanks & best,
Caravaggisto

P.S. First post, but macrumors fan for at least a decade. :)
P.P.S. Running OS X 10.6.7 "Snow Leopard"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.