Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DWBurke811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
So I was wondering if any other Apple lovers were also lovers of R/C? I used to be super into them, but took a break when I went to college. I was only into off-road stuff, if anyone knows the UE forum I was a regular on there before it died down. I really miss building and maintaining, not to mention driving, them a lot and can already tell this is going to be a drawn out post with a lot of details and pictures that won't mean anything unless you're into R/C lol.

I started off with a S-Maxx; started turning it into a LightRace, threw in a EB Mods OS .18TM, moved some stuff around, Dace front bulks, took off pretty much anything not necessary, Ti parts, put on a wing, with race tires(not the stock Revo ones pictured it was under 7lbs fueled up ready to race.

DSCF0032.jpg

Then got a Mugen MBX-5; loved building it. Got a stock RB WS7II, JP1 pipe, JR 8800S/T servos. Kingheadz 7075 parts throughout.

finshedonbox.bmp

Then a Jammin CRT. EB Mods TEAM Novarossi P5, 9886 pipe, JR 9000S/T servos, Futaba 3PK radio,

DSCF0167.jpg

Then got a EB Mods Novarossi 528XR and a hardcoad Mugen 1005

DSCN0216cropsmall.jpg

New body

SHOCKSOX-1.jpg

BCE small center spur chassis

DSCN0407.jpg

Then got a ProSpec Mugen MBX5-T. Had a nice line up of motors by this point, got a BCE chassis for it right off the bat

DSCN1708.jpg

CRT vs. X5-T

DSCN0468.jpg

Lots and lots of stuff not listed lol, but hopefully there's some fellow R/C nuts here. I'm thinking of picking up a Losi 8-T when it cools off a little

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
The only thing Nitro I do are my helicopters. My cars are all lipo/electric. Nice RC cars you have there though :)

I usually frequent RC Universe or RunRyder for my RC forum fun.

DWBurke811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
Haha that's funny, the only brushless/LiPo I had was a helicopter; well, aside from my Rx/Tx packs, you can't beat the low weight and the fact the voltage pretty much stays constant until they quickly drop to the cutoff voltage.

What kind of electrics are you into? I'd ask about the heli's but aside from my little blade cx2(I think that was the name), I would have no idea what you're talking about lol

Thanks, way more money in them than I want to think about. When your spending $350 for the cheapest engine, $100 per exhaust(and you have to have like 6 different pipes and headers, not to mention they're like paper and need to be replaced way too often), $100 per servo, $50 on a set of wheels...yeah, it adds up quick. Not to mention tools, hauler bags, pit gear, blah blah...aghh I miss it SO much. My favorite was my CRT once I did the BCE chassis with the small spur conversion, half the fun was figuring out what would work with it; I got one from the first set he produced before anyone knew what would work, so I probably tried: 5 different spurs, 4 sets of diffs, numerous clutch bells...gotta love having $3k in a single car lol

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Haha that's funny, the only brushless/LiPo I had was a helicopter; well, aside from my Rx/Tx packs, you can't beat the low weight and the fact the voltage pretty much stays constant until they quickly drop to the cutoff voltage.

What kind of electrics are you into? I'd ask about the heli's but aside from my little blade cx2(I think that was the name), I would have no idea what you're talking about lol

Thanks, way more money in them than I want to think about. When your spending $350 for the cheapest engine, $100 per exhaust(and you have to have like 6 different pipes and headers, not to mention they're like paper and need to be replaced way too often), $100 per servo, $50 on a set of wheels...yeah, it adds up quick. Not to mention tools, hauler bags, pit gear, blah blah...aghh I miss it SO much. My favorite was my CRT once I did the BCE chassis with the small spur conversion, half the fun was figuring out what would work with it; I got one from the first set he produced before anyone knew what would work, so I probably tried: 5 different spurs, 4 sets of diffs, numerous clutch bells...gotta love having $3k in a single car lol

Try $200 + on each crash ;) And with Heli's its not if, its when you crash. RC was never and will never be a cheap hobby, but its a labor of love imo. it's a great way to relieve stress and just have a fun time

My 4 Heli's use a 12 Channel Futaba 2.4ghz, all my cars share a 2.4ghz Futaba 3 ch radio. Each has their own receiver and AMB receiver for racing.

RC while a fun hobby is nothing you want to get in to if you're short on cash, its probably the most expensive hobby I have gotten in to. Honestly its probably the most fun too.

DWBurke811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
My Tx is a Futaba also, black 3PK with the drop down, and an aftermarket black wheel, to be exact; I ran spektrum 2.4GHz, I took a break before they came out with fasst. And got a few of the telemetry setups, Rx pack voltage and engine temp in real time displayed on a readout on my 3PK, was trick. And those little red BS $90 transponders, ohhhh how I hated paying for those little Fers.

I ran all JR servos, I had a few 8800S and 8800T, but loved the 9000S and 9000T, all being fed 7v/5amp from Rx LiPo packs. I think I still have 7 or so 9000S/9000T in my pit bag lol.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I used to think the Tamiya Lunchbox was quite the thing when I was little.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I used to think the Tamiya Lunchbox was quite the thing when I was little.

Wasn't that the 4x4 van! Loved that one.

I have two nitro vehicles. One 4x4 and one street. I also have an electric a-10 which I haven't got up in the air yet and I am also still working on my wing glider. I need to get moving!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.