Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
2 GB of email?

I'm not sure what commonplace real-world problems that solves, but OK :)

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
nagromme said:
This is PR, it doesn't need to be of use...fact is it's double what the competition offer, and that's all that matters!

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
I welcome this.

I will probably use my gmail account as my primary personal address for a long time to come. I am liking the service very much at the moment.

JDOG_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Oakland
Nermal said:
Posted on a competitor's site even! :eek:

I noticed that too. Pretty solid of Yahoo, they probably don't want to get in a server farm battle against somebody who says "there's no limit..."

My limits at 1195 mb right now, whereas it was at 1gig last time I looked at the bottom. That's cool they're trying not to put a cap on the size, because that's basically the one thing you never want to worry about with web e-mail. Trying to move messages around to make space is a hassle.

Go google! :D

ZipZilla

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2003
nagromme said:

I use Gmail as my primary e-mail address, and I use their POP access and all of my incoming and outgoing e-mail is automatically archived by Gmail, so the more space the merrier.

I could absolutely see using up the 1GB in a year.

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
My maximum gmail storage is now 1262 MB.

I actually use my gmail as sort of a database. Mundane information that should be written down in a notebook now is sent to my gmail account along with keywords in the subject header.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
macridah said:
Come .Mac ... increase the limits even more already. 250MB email and iDisk is whimpy.

seriously, if apple was taking this sort of approch with .Mac that google is with thier GMail people would be signing up all the time, i know i would

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Gmail and .Mac don't compare.

Economies of scale and revenue models aside, email storage can be offered affordably because most people won't even use a fraction of it. A few use 1 GB or more... but most use far, far less. iDisk, on the other hand, invites mass dumping of big files by a simply drag and drop--not to mention public hosting of content to people OTHER than the account owner: a bit more bandwidth.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
nagromme said:
Gmail and .Mac don't compare.

Agreed. Although it would be nice for Apple to compete on storage space, we must remember something:

.Mac lives on beautiful, silver, reliable, expensive Xserve servers, and Google uses massly-obtained, second-hand PCs in huge warehouses.

Aside from that. .Mac is designed for tight integration into the computing experience that Google will never have. I believe we haven't seen nothing yet!

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
coolfactor said:
.Mac lives on beautiful, silver, reliable, expensive Xserve servers, and Google uses massly-obtained, second-hand PCs in huge warehouses.
So what? :rolleyes: When was the last time you went to visit your nice xserve just to admire it. Who cares. I want value for money, I don't give a monkeys how it's hosted, so long as it's reliable, which Google seems to be doing fine without "beautiful, silver, reliable, expensive Xserve servers".

- nagromme
A fair point, but Apple still should be able to offer more. At worst 512MB.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
edesignuk said:
So what? :rolleyes: When was the last time you went to visit your nice xserve just to admire it. Who cares. I want value for money, I don't give a monkeys how it's hosted, so long as it's reliable, which Google seems to be doing fine without "beautiful, silver, reliable, expensive Xserve servers".

agreed, hopefully there will be some nice changes done to .Mac with Tiger being introduced, i wouldnt mind paying the money if i was getting something worthwhile at least, but as of right now there is no reason for me to sign up

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
Nermal said:
Posted on a competitor's site even! :eek:
It's an AP press release. Yahoo would have to take deliberate (and possibly difficult) action to block it. And if they did that, word would quickly get around, destroying Yahoo's reputation as a news source.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.