Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Jul 3, 2011, 01:00 AM   #1
eldaria
macrumors member

Alternative for Griffin Firewave.

I have a Griffin Firewave that I have been using for connecting a set of 5.1 speakers.

It has worked great for several years, but with Snow Leopard it started to make trouble, and lately it has become close to impossible to use it.
Sometimes not being detected and making corrupt sound.

I'm not sure if it is the device itself, or dated drivers. I was promised by the Griffin support over 3 years ago that they would soon release a new set of drivers to address some bugs that I found.
They still have not released any updates, so even if the device has in general worked great, I'm not going to replace it with the same just to find out that it is the drivers, and with Lion almost out, who says it will continue to work.

So I'm looking for a an alternative.

Is there a similar device out there, that can use standard 5.1 Computer spakers?
USB or Firewire does not really matter as I have both.
But using the 3-plug setup for connecting the speakers is a requirement.

The Firewave has the added bonus of also supporting Dolby Digital, and can be used as a AC3 digital to Analog converter with full surround, but my guess is that finding this will be difficult.

I know there is an Ocean of USB cards out there, what I'm looking for is your experience with this and using it on a Mac?
eldaria is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2011, 12:39 PM   #2
MacUser2525
macrumors 65816

Must be your device mine works flawlessly on SL and always has never checked with Lion when I did test install the other day the lack of working mouse driver for my Logitech killed the deal for me.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 10:16 AM   #3
ollebolle
macrumors newbie

What I would do, is to externalize the stereo to surround conversion and use your mac's digital optical out...
the teufel decoderstation 5 is something that perhaps will fit your needs...

i had the same with the m-audio sonica theatre usb, which stopped working fully after the switch to intel CPUs. My speaker set has an upscaling function , so I wasn't searching urgently... what I might do, is to look for a full receiver, that can handle my sources...
ollebolle is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Tags
firewave, firewire, griffin, sound card, usb