Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

okstevep

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Hi
When I first started using my white 32GB iphone 4 a month ago, I felt very slight electric shocks and static-like feeling and a kind of pins and needles feeling in my hands. I soon either forgot about it or got used to it.
Then 2 weeks ago, I got a new 15" 2011 macbook pro (from Smart Deals on Amazon). When I was using the trackpad, I felt even more electric shocks and pins and needles in my hands and my hair has even started standing on end. When I used the laptop on my lap, it got boiling hot and the pins and needles, electric shocks and static in my body got even worse. Now, when I use my old macbook on my lap I'm even getting the same problem.
I have a carpeted 2nd floor flat and lots of electric devices. As far as I know all of my plug sockets are earthed.
I'm now not sure if the problem is psychological. My cousin held the phone outdoors and agreed that it was giving him shocks.
Could I have developed a static sensitivity since using the phone and the macbook pro?
Maybe I need an electrician to come to the flat or see a doctor.
But seriously, is there likely to be a fault with the macbook pro as this is by far the worst of the causes of the shocks and probably what started all of this? I need to get to the bottom of this quickly so I can decide whether to take back my macbook pro and/or iphone.
Thanks
Steve

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
It sounds like your body is picking up a charge while walking across your carpeting.
Do you still get that tingling feeling of ESD while you're using your phone somewhere else besides your flat? If not, then you might want to invest in something that will help eliminate static from your carpeting. I think they have a spray or powder of sorts that could help. Not sure.

But use your devices somewhere else besides your home. That will help you find out what and why.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Is this everywhere or just your house/desk? If we assume the iPhone/MacBook Pro is the cause, then it should exhibit this behavior everywhere you use it. If it's not the iPhone/MacBook Pro, then it won't exhibit this behavior everywhere you use it. Simple.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
If this is only happening at home, I would suggest hiring an electrician since it's sounds like your home has grounding issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.