Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
My dad's iPhone 3GS is stuck on iOS 4.2.1 and I cannot upgrade it to 4.3.3 I tried downloading the update from iTunes without any luck. Updated all the software on his MBP to ensure he had the latest version of iTunes. I then tried to update the iOS software with no luck.

What is the next step? I want him to be up to date so he can benefit from wireless synching when iOS 5 is out.

jman240

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
There is an easy way to figure out if its a 3g or 3gs

Does it have the multitasking bar (double tap the home button)?
-If no then you have a 3G and 4.2.1 is as high as you're ever going to be able to update it software wise. Apple has dropped support for this device.
-If yes then you have a 3GS and you may have a different issue.

You said you were on a Mac right. Is it running OSX 10.5.x or 10.6.x. If you're still on 10.4 you need to update to be able to run the newest version of iTunes and the newest version of iTunes is required for the latest iPhone software update.

Leopard, Snow Leopard, or Lion?

If you meet those requirements then there is something else still going on. Does it spit up any error messages? What version of OSX and iTunes are you running?

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
It is an iPhone 3GS 32gb that is confirmed. The MBP is running the latest version of OSX and itunes. I won't try synching on another computer then his own to avoid erasing data he hasn't already synched.

jman240

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
Try this

Do a backup (right click on the iPhone in the iTunes side bar and select backup now to force it)

Restore to factory. The restore should also update it to 4.3.3

Restore from backup when prompted.

also, if you could take a quick grab screen capture of what shows up when you're on the iPhone page in iTunes (blanking out pertinent information of course) and what happens when you click update that would be helpful.

Mark Skip

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2011
IPhone 3Gs wont update to 4.3.3

I have an iPhone 4 with version 4.1. It wont update to 4.3.3. I have tried many times. The software downloads but during 'processing' it says PROBLEM DOWNLOADING SOFTWARE, CONNECTION TIMED:mad: OUT. I have tried backing up the iPhone and RESTORING factory default (to 4.3.3). The same thing happens.

I am using iTunes v 10.

Any suggestions please?

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
I have an iPhone 4 with version 4.1. It wont update to 4.3.3. I have tried many times. The software downloads but during 'processing' it says PROBLEM DOWNLOADING SOFTWARE, CONNECTION TIMED:mad: OUT. I have tried backing up the iPhone and RESTORING factory default (to 4.3.3). The same thing happens.

I get these same messages. I am going to the Apple store tomorrow. I will post observations afterwards.

eleven7

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2009
Japan
Have you tried downloading and using a local firmware file to update?

If not, could try to go here: http://getios.com/ and download the appropriate version for your phone.

Put your phone into recovery/dfu mode. Start iTunes and it will tell you it has detected a phone in recovery mode and you need to restore. option+click the restore button in iTunes, select the firmware file you downloaded and restore from there. Once it's restored as a new phone, you can choose to restore from backup so you won't lose anything.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
Have you tried downloading and using a local firmware file to update?

If not, could try to go here: http://getios.com/ and download the appropriate version for your phone.

Put your phone into recovery/dfu mode. Start iTunes and it will tell you it has detected a phone in recovery mode and you need to restore. option+click the restore button in iTunes, select the firmware file you downloaded and restore from there. Once it's restored as a new phone, you can choose to restore from backup so you won't lose anything.

How do I put the phone into recovery mode?

eleven7

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2009
Japan
1) Turn your phone off.

2) Start iTunes.

3) Plug the usb cable into your computer (not your phone)

4) Press and continue holding down the home button on your phone and plug the usb cable into your phone. Don't release the home button until you see iTunes logo on the iPhone. A message in iTunes should popup saying it detects a phone in recovery mode. Don't forget to option+click the restore button otherwise it will just try to download the file through itunes again like usual.

Here's a guide here anyway if you have any trouble.

http://osxdaily.com/2011/01/08/iphone-recovery-mode/

**NOTE: I forgot to mention you should download firmware files with firefox or some other browser. From memory, safari automatically saves them as zip files or something.

Judging from your error message, it sounds like it's just an issue with downloading from apple's servers so hopefully doing it manually will fix your problem.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
1) Turn your phone off.

2) Start iTunes.

3) Plug the usb cable into your computer (not your phone)

4) Press and continue holding down the home button on your phone and plug the usb cable into your phone. Don't release the home button until you see iTunes logo on the iPhone. A message in iTunes should popup saying it detects a phone in recovery mode. Don't forget to option+click the restore button otherwise it will just try to download the file through itunes again like usual.

Here's a guide here anyway if you have any trouble.

http://osxdaily.com/2011/01/08/iphone-recovery-mode/

**NOTE: I forgot to mention you should download firmware files with firefox or some other browser. From memory, safari automatically saves them as zip files or something.

Judging from your error message, it sounds like it's just an issue with downloading from apple's servers so hopefully doing it manually will fix your problem.

So far I booted into recovery mode and started downloading the iPhone update via iTunes and not getios. For some reason my download froze but the download should be complete in iTunes in 5 minutes.

The download is complete now iTunes says 'Waiting for iPhone'.
preparing for restore.
Restoring iPhone software.
Verifying iPhone restore.
Restoring iPhone firmware
Restored from previous backup everything should be up soon.
Everything is restored now just synching apps, settings and everything else.
Finishing the sync

Everything is up to date the iPhone is on the latest iOS update same goes for the carrier firmware.

Last edited:

2ndchancephones

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2011
Denton, TX
Try switching USB ports or try switching cables....make sure you are using an Apple USB cable. I know this sounds stupid but it has worked for me before.

Mark Skip

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2011
I have spent all day on this. Tried new cable, tried force restore. Still get same error.

Very annoying Apple

Mark Skip

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2011
I got it in October 2010, so I guess so. The Apple site says I need to purchase support. The Apple shop is 90 minutes drive away

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
I got it in October 2010, so I guess so. The Apple site says I need to purchase support. The Apple shop is 90 minutes drive away

I'm almost certain you have a year to purchase apple care which you should do ASAP from there call Apple care explain the issue and follow there recommendations.

Mark Skip

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2011
PROBLEM SOLVED

Just spend 45 minutes on phone to Apple. its was Kaspersky Virus Software, I had to disable it for an hour and all worked fine.

Very frustrating, could have update the s/w months ago.

Wll know for next time.

thanks everyone for the help

eleven7

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2009
Japan
I have spent all day on this. Tried new cable, tried force restore. Still get same error.

Very annoying Apple

There really shouldn't be any need to go to the apple store. Just make sure you cover all your bases before taking the long drive.

For example, have you or anyone else ever modified your hosts file in order to jailbreak? If they have the port to download or check on apple's server could be blocked if they didn't reset it.

ben173

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2011
i have been having the same problem too i tried everything everone posted on here nothing... still an error message my computer wont update my ipad 2 or my iphone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.