Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jul 4, 2011, 01:07 AM   #1
bryanb3
macrumors newbie

How to:Consolidate PC and Mac files / itunes libraries to new iMac

We have two laptops and just purchased an iMac and wish to consolidate all files into the new machine. In need of some thoughts on the best way to transfer files from two separate itunes accounts into one...Is this possible? Authorize the PC and Macbook to play on the imac's account, thus creating a third itunes account? Is there a way to merge the two accounts? Correct me if I'm wrong but I can use one of the already existing itunes accounts for the new imac and transfer the files using firewire?

As for the other files we wish to transfer, I plan on using the Time Capsule. We need the extra storage and like the wireless capabilities. Would I be able to use this for the itunes as well (I'm assuming so)

Please shed some light. Wireless sharing is an option but only temporary as we plan on getting rid of the two laptops.

Thank you
bryanb3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2011, 06:43 AM   #2
Fallinangel
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanb3 View Post
We have two laptops and just purchased an iMac and wish to consolidate all files into the new machine. In need of some thoughts on the best way to transfer files from two separate itunes accounts into one...Is this possible? Authorize the PC and Macbook to play on the imac's account, thus creating a third itunes account? Is there a way to merge the two accounts? Correct me if I'm wrong but I can use one of the already existing itunes accounts for the new imac and transfer the files using firewire?
It really depends on what you want to do. It isn't all that clear to me.

If you want to consolidate the iTunes Libraries of your PC laptop and MacBook onto your new iMac, I'd start with replacing the entire "iTunes" folder on your iMac with the the "iTunes" folder of your MacBook.
This way you already have one of the libraries on your iMac.
Keep in mind that replacing the "iTunes" folder on your iMac also deletes all your music and playlists that are inside.

The next step would be to manually copy all the music from the PC laptop onto the iMac. You can achieve that with an external hard-drive or over your LAN.
Once all the music files have been copied over to your iMac, select them all an drag them into iTunes.
However, this will only copy your music files. Playlists, ratings and play counts from your PC laptop won't be copied!!

If the iTunes library on your PC laptop is the most elaborate and important to you, you should probably copy this one first, and thus preserve all of it's playlists and other stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanb3 View Post
As for the other files we wish to transfer, I plan on using the Time Capsule. We need the extra storage and like the wireless capabilities. Would I be able to use this for the itunes as well (I'm assuming so)
Yes. A friend of mine has a similar setup.

You just need to copy the "iTunes Music" folder (not the entire "iTunes" folder, located in /Users/"username"/Music) to your Time Capsule.
Don't do it manually though, let iTunes do the dirty work for you:
- open iTunes
- open its preferences
- navigate to the advanced tab
- change the "iTunes Media folder location" to your Time Capsule
- after the copying is done you may delete your local "iTunes Music" folder

Keeping an iTunes library on the Time Capsule can be buggy though.
I'd personally recommend you to keep your main library on your iMac and share it across your home network. This way, everybody on your home network can listen to the music stored on your iMac.

The Time Capsule could then be used for other files or backup purposes.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac