Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

booch221

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2010
Anchorage AK
I'm visiting a friend for a couple of weeks and want to use her wifi. The first day I was here I could connect my iPhone 3GS and Ipad2 to her D-Link wireless network. The next day I noticed my phone was always displaying 3G or E.

Sometimes it show me connected to the network but I can't get mail or browse. Other times it says No Service. My iPad still connects fine. My iPhone will connect to a neighbors unlocked network.

I've tried renewing my lease, resetting my network settings on the iPhone, reentering the network password, and rebooting the router. Nothing works. Any other suggestions?

The router is a D-Link 524
The Security is WPA-PSK

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
I've tried renewing my lease, resetting my network settings on the iPhone, reentering the network password, and rebooting the router. Nothing works. Any other suggestions?

Compare your network settings on the iPhone to those on the iPad. Are they similar?

For example, are they both using static IP addresses or is the IP being assigned via DHCP? Is the IP address on the working iPad just one or two different from the iPhone, or are they completely different?

My guess is that on the iPad you're using DHCP whereas on the iPhone it's been trying to use a static IP address.

Cheers,

RTP.

booch221

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2010
Anchorage AK
network settings

Compare your network settings on the iPhone to those on the iPad. Are they similar?

On both of them IP Address is DHCP (color is blue) and HTTP Proxy is Off

On iPhone:
IP Address: 169.254.151.9
Subnet Mask:225.225..0
Router:
DNS:
Search Domains:
Client ID:

On iPad:
IP Address:192.168.0.101
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Router:192.168.0.1
DNS:66.211.211.22,66.211.211.21
Search Domains:
Client ID:

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
On iPad:
IP Address:192.168.0.101
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Router:192.168.0.1
DNS:66.211.211.22,66.211.211.21
Search Domains:
Client ID:

For some reason, your router isn't assigning an IP to your iPhone.

There could be a number of reasons for this, however if you want to get your iPhone online quickly, (and because you'll only be there for a couple of weeks), try setting a Static IP address.

For example select Static and set the IP address to something like: 192.168.0.107
Set the Subnet Mask and Router to the values you see above.

Does this help?

NOTE: When you get back home, remember to set it back to DHCP to enable your iPhone to find and connect to your home network in the same way that it normally does.

Cheers,

RTP.

booch221

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2010
Anchorage AK
Does this help?
Somewhat.

In Safari, I get a message that says:
Cannot Open Page
Safri cannot open the page because it is not connected to the internet.

When I use the Opera Mini browser the pages load.

None of the apps that use an internet connection (like Instapaper, Feeddler, Craigslist, Redbox, ) work.

Last edited:

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
It's a pretty old router and is not dual band. Make sure the firmware is up to date and if that doesn't work see if there's any 3rd party firmware like DD-WRT or Tomato for it.

booch221

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2010
Anchorage AK
old router

Granted it is an old router, I updated the firmware on it last year.

But if the issue is age, why would my iPad work with it, but not the iPhone? And as I said in the OP, the iPhone worked the first day I was here.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
The iPad has a dual band radio the iPhone just a 2.4GHz. So there is a difference. You could try resetting your D-Link to factory and resetup.

booch221

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2010
Anchorage AK
We just ordered a new Linksys Wireless-N Router from Amazon. It will arrive before I leave so I can set it up for her. We'll see what that does.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
We just ordered a new Linksys Wireless-N Router from Amazon. It will arrive before I leave so I can set it up for her. We'll see what that does.

It does not sound like you are understanding the problem. Does the new router you purchased have a 802.11n 2.4 GHz transceiver, and not just an 802.11 5 GHz transceiver? The iPhone is only capable of receiving signals in the 2.4 GHz band, so if you bought a 5 GHz router you aren't solving your problem.

booch221

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2010
Anchorage AK
new router

Just installed the new router. Everything works. Can connect both the iPhone and iPad to the network. Thanks for the help everybody.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.