Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hwall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2011
Is there anyone running the Lion GM who has tried using a Wacom pen tablet specifically Intuos 4?

Im looking forward to lion but i need to be able to use my tablet for work so Im not sure weather to upgrade straight away. I will hit buy on day one if someone can confirm that the drivers are ok.

I did a quick search but i guess its not that common and the Wacom site simply says;
''Wacom will support Lion and if we find serious problems, we will provide a driver update shortly after the release of the final version of 10.7.''

But i wanna know if i can upgrade immediately to satisfy the geek in me.

I know its an unusual case but thanks for any help anyone can offer.

PaulWog

Suspended
Jun 28, 2011
Is there anyone running the Lion GM who has tried using a Wacom pen tablet specifically Intuos 4?

Im looking forward to lion but i need to be able to use my tablet for work so Im not sure weather to upgrade straight away. I will hit buy on day one if someone can confirm that the drivers are ok.

I did a quick search but i guess its not that common and the Wacom site simply says;
''Wacom will support Lion and if we find serious problems, we will provide a driver update shortly after the release of the final version of 10.7.''

But i wanna know if i can upgrade immediately to satisfy the geek in me.

I know its an unusual case but thanks for any help anyone can offer.

I guess if it works on the current version of Lion, it would work on the final release version; that's your line of thought, correct? Still, if it's reliability that you require first and foremost, one can never assume that the final release will be exactly the same as the pre-release version, despite Lion being just about ready for the public. I mean, if someone can confirm that the Wacom Intuos4 tablets are working on Lion right now, that would likely give you the best idea possible, however that's not a guarantee that there might not be issues with the final release.

Knowing Apple and Wacom, though, I am going to guess that it'll work right off the bat. That's my guess. Hopefully someone can confirm for you based on the golden test.

blindefmute

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
Intuos4 (wired) working properly after preference change.

I just installed OS X Lion on my Macbook Pro and my Intuos4 tablet worked with the exception of the mouse wheel scrolling direction. It was scrolling in the opposite direction. Scrolling the wheel up made the page scroll downward and vice versa.

I remembered hearing about the new Trackpad feature of scrolling in the direction of the finger movement. To fix the opposite/reverse scrolling direction issue with the Intuos4 mouse, I went to System Preferences, selected Trackpad, and de-selected 'Scroll direction: natural' in the middle 'Scroll & Zoom' tab.

Hope this helps anyone trying to figure it out.

wickedsteve

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2006
two problems

When I use my Wacom tablet with Lion I have two problems. First is that the button I have set for double-click only single clicks now. Also when I use an App in full-screen, my hidden dock will not show up unless I use the built in track pad. It is like the tablet can not reach the threshold to show the dock even though it is mapped to the entire screen.

Parkin Pig

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Yorkshire-by-Gum
When I use my Wacom tablet with Lion I have two problems. First is that the button I have set for double-click only single clicks now. Also when I use an App in full-screen, my hidden dock will not show up unless I use the built in track pad. It is like the tablet can not reach the threshold to show the dock even though it is mapped to the entire screen.

Same for me - intensely annoying that the double-click doesn't work anymore (Intuos 4)

Last edited:

Parkin Pig

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Yorkshire-by-Gum
Found a solution to the double-click problem (well, it works for me, and I hope it works for anyone else who's had this problem).

Launch the 'System Preferences' Panel,
choose 'Wacom Tablet',
click on the 'Default' button - this will set the buttons as illustrated on the first panel.
you can then change the buttons and they should work fine - I personally use the button set up on the second panel.

As for accessing the dock during full screen mode, I think Wacom and Apple will need to sort this out, as it needs 2 separate movements to perform this: one swipe (on the trackpad) to take the cursor to the bottom of the screen, and a distinct separate downward swipe (again on the trackpad) to raise the dock. This is something that cannot really be replicated on the tablet.

Attachments

• Intuos4 panel.jpg
    Intuos4 panel.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 1,251
Last edited:

Topper

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
Found a solution to the double-click problem (well, it works for me, and I hope it works for anyone else who's had this problem)

No, it doesn't work.

I heard that it had something to do with "normal scrolling" with Trackpad.
I use a Mac Pro so I deleted everything that had to do with the Trackpad.
Still, not working.

I think we've got to wait for Wacom to update their drivers.
In the meantime, I've reverted back to Snow Leopard.

mlektra

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2008
Montreal, Canada
No, it doesn't work.

I heard that it had something to do with "normal scrolling" with Trackpad.
I use a Mac Pro so I deleted everything that had to do with the Trackpad.
Still, not working.

I think we've got to wait for Wacom to update their drivers.
In the meantime, I've reverted back to Snow Leopard.

Don't know if it will work for you but I found that solution :

go to System Preferences > Mouse > and remove the tick from “Move content in the direction of finger movement when scrolling or navigating”.

removex.gif

MangaFanNeko

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2011
Hi, does anyone have a Bamboo working with their Mac running Lion?
I upgraded to Lion recently, and since then my tablet has not been working with my laptop. When I go into system preferences and click on "Tablet" it says that the driver isn't working properly, and that I should restart my laptop and reinstall the driver. I've done that multiple times now, and my tablet still doesn't work.
I'm not sure if the problem's my tablet (it's kind of old, model MTE-450), the driver itself, my laptop, or a combination of all three.
Btw, my tablet is lighting up when I connect it to my laptop. Clicking with the stylus also works. But the screen of my laptop doesn't seem synced up with the area on my tablet. The way the mouse moves on the screen with the tablet is like a regular mouse. The buttons on my tablet are not functioning as well.
I'm getting a new tablet (an intuos 4 hopefully) in a few months, but right now I have to finish some drawing requests, so help would be appreciated greatly. Thank you. ^^

Maccleduff

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2007
Hi, does anyone have a Bamboo working with their Mac running Lion?
I upgraded to Lion recently, and since then my tablet has not been working with my laptop. When I go into system preferences and click on "Tablet" it says that the driver isn't working properly, and that I should restart my laptop and reinstall the driver. I've done that multiple times now, and my tablet still doesn't work.
I'm not sure if the problem's my tablet (it's kind of old, model MTE-450), the driver itself, my laptop, or a combination of all three.
Btw, my tablet is lighting up when I connect it to my laptop. Clicking with the stylus also works. But the screen of my laptop doesn't seem synced up with the area on my tablet. The way the mouse moves on the screen with the tablet is like a regular mouse. The buttons on my tablet are not functioning as well.
I'm getting a new tablet (an intuos 4 hopefully) in a few months, but right now I have to finish some drawing requests, so help would be appreciated greatly. Thank you. ^^

I have the same bamboo tablet, and am running Lion. Mine seems to work fine, I don't have any of the issues you report. Im using DRIVER 5.24-4 RC here http://www.wacom.eu/index2.asp?pid=29&lang=en

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2011
How to explain this. I have two Wacom tablets, an Intuos3 and a Graphere. Both behave as if the pen is always touching the tablet (clicking) even when its hovering two inches above, and it won't release.

Shineyblack

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2011
Lion and Wacom Tablets

I'm running Lion on my iMac and the Wacom tablets do not work properly. The scrolling is useless.

Ant.honey

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
New York City
I just installed OS X Lion on my Macbook Pro and my Intuos4 tablet worked with the exception of the mouse wheel scrolling direction. It was scrolling in the opposite direction. Scrolling the wheel up made the page scroll downward and vice versa.

I remembered hearing about the new Trackpad feature of scrolling in the direction of the finger movement. To fix the opposite/reverse scrolling direction issue with the Intuos4 mouse, I went to System Preferences, selected Trackpad, and de-selected 'Scroll direction: natural' in the middle 'Scroll & Zoom' tab.

Hope this helps anyone trying to figure it out.

Helped me out loads. Thanks for that. Was going nuts. Don't hardly ever use a mouse, but when I do I wanted it to work "right".

wickedsteve

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2006
You can not access the dock when using an app in full screen because Apple set it up that you need to mouse down past the screen edge. And you can not mouse past the screen edge if your tablet is mapped to the screen. It is like Apple did not even try QC testing Lion with a Wacom tablet at all.

Who knows why double click no longer works.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

ronaldhennessy

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Does this mean it's ok to use Intuos4 in Lion? I put off upgrading my Mac Mini to Lion because of the driver issues.

Topper

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
Does this mean it's ok to use Intuos4 in Lion? I put off upgrading my Mac Mini to Lion because of the driver issues.

I don't know. But I'll bet you'll be okay with the newer Intuos 4 drivers.
I've got the older Intuos tablet. I've tried everything to get the double-click to work but no deal.
I'm waiting and hoping for new Intuos drivers from Wacom.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
My Bamboo Fun works fine under Lion, except that scrolling is always reversed in the opposite direction of your trackpad, and it's impossible to show the dock in Full Screen mode with the tablet, you have to use a mouse or trackpad.

PinkiDesign

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2011
I have the Bamboo Fun tablet and with Lion I am having the problem where when I hover instead of just moving the cursor, it acts as though I am pressed down and selects. In photoshop it will make a very faint but constant brush line, and when I press down it acts normal with pressure sensitivity but I can't just hover correctly. Anyone having this problem? I downloaded the latest driver from Wacom but it's not fixing it. It could be a problem with my pen but I don't want to buy a new one and have it still not work...

Figtreehouse

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2009
Negative Space
I have the Bamboo Fun tablet and with Lion I am having the problem where when I hover instead of just moving the cursor, it acts as though I am pressed down and selects. In photoshop it will make a very faint but constant brush line, and when I press down it acts normal with pressure sensitivity but I can't just hover correctly. Anyone having this problem? I downloaded the latest driver from Wacom but it's not fixing it. It could be a problem with my pen but I don't want to buy a new one and have it still not work...

I have had exactly the same problem since Lion with my Graphire4 and Pixelmator. The constant selecting occurs even with the pointer on the desktop.

I notice that even when there is no driver installed, bringing the pen to within half an inch of the tablet surface changes the light on the tablet from blue to green and starts moving the pointer. If I remember right, the light only used to change colour as the pen tip touched the tablet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.