Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

one1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Hi guys,

This did not yield specific results in search so I'll just ask....... If is there a way to force Safari (Version 5.1 (7534.48.3)) on Lion to open in top sites instead of last page visited?

The general tab in preferences still says "HOME PAGE" that you can enter, but entering Top Sites does not produce proper results.

Is there a trick to making Safari open with Top Sites like you could on Snow Leo?

~TIA

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
In the General tab change "New Windows Open with" to Top Sites.

If this is not working. Perhaps you are Quitting Safari instead of closing Safari when you are done. In Lion, because of resume, if you Quit Safari when you are done and then reopen it, it will reopen on the last page you had open.

one1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Right, in Snow Leopard versions of Safari you could simply quit Safari and have it reopen on your home page which could be set to Top Sites. As you have stated, with the resume feature it reopens the last visited page. I would LIKE for Safari to go back to the Top Sites home page method of opening so I am looking for some kind of tweak or trick to make it perform as such. I find it annoying that it doesn't get a fresh start when opening. (it is as annoying on my iPad 2, but I expect it....... whereas I don't want my desktop to perform like that).

So I was wondering if someone had an idea such as an automator action that could override the resume feature. Doesn't that seem feasible? A Services action or something?

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
System Preferences > General > Uncheck "Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.