Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Skype today released its new Skype 5.2 for Mac, adding a pair of significant new features in group video screen sharing and a revamped call control bar that includes video support.

skype_5_2_group_screen_share.jpg

Group screen sharing, which requires the same premium package as for basic group video, allows users to share their screens with all participants in the group call, marking a significant enhancement for teleconferencing. Skype Premium is priced at $4.99 per day or $8.99 per month, with significant savings available on longer-term 3-month and 12-month subscriptions.

skype_5_2_control_bar.jpg

Skype 5.2's new control bar now support video calls, floating on top of other applications and files when users switch away to other apps in order to allow them to continue seeing the people they are conversing with. The control bar also offers quick access to mute and end call functionalities.

Article Link: Skype 5.2 for Mac Adds Group Screen Sharing, Video Call Control Bar

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
lets hope it fixes that backtalk and static noise I was getting. only between mac and windows. mac to mac was ok.

the UI is a little better but still :confused:
Lets see what the ipad app brings

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
Still have to pay for video conferencing, what is this 2002? I'll stick with iChat thank you very much, free sounds a lot better to me.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Ugh. Still can't change the sidebar to display online contacts instead of the useless history.

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
North of England
Your first experience with 5.0? It's been awful for a while.

9to5Mac thinks it might be coming tomorrow.

I quite liked the UI in the previous version of Skype (5.1), but this one's just awful... might downgrade.

And I sure hope they're right about it coming tomorrow! It's long overdue, and Skype is my main way of keeping in touch with people. Looking forward to the iPad App!

zapnyc

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2011
New York
say what you want about the interface (which I don't mind) or lack of iPad app yet....

I travel all the time and iChat is a FAIL when it comes to hotel video connections. Skype blows it out of the water in that department.

I always tried iChat first in hotels because of the integration with OSX, my large AIM friend list, and conferencing...but none of that matters if you can't connect through hotel firewalls. Skype has a magic bullet connection scheme.

tezro

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2007
Still no minimal sidebar thing like the Windows version then?
Means I will stick to 2.8 again.

Some portions of this version look alright, like:
call-control-bar-460.jpg

That actually looks slick to me. Just to bad the whole sidebar itself sucks.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Agreed. I used to dislike MS till my company switched to Lotus Notes.

Oh yes, a hearty amen to that. Lotus Notes is the very last word in awful applications. My very worst work related computer memories are inextricably linked with Lotus Notes......a dire application, and, as you seem to suggest, it makes MS actually look streamlined and sophisticated.

say what you want about the interface (which I don't mind) or lack of iPad app yet....

I travel all the time and iChat is a FAIL when it comes to hotel video connections. Skype blows it out of the water in that department.

I always tried iChat first in hotels because of the integration with OSX, my large AIM friend list, and conferencing...but none of that matters if you can't connect through hotel firewalls. Skype has a magic bullet connection scheme.

My experiences are fairly similar to yours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.