Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KingMo

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2010
Hey everyone. I have been having this problem since this afternoon, and it's happened on and off again, but it's been very persistent this time.

The cursor, when I'm using my MacBook Pro, moves, clicks and scrolls all on it's own, when my hand is never even on the trackpad, and when I try to use the trackpad, it basically won't let me; it's like I'm fighting again something that's trying to control my trackpad.

Has anybody else encountered his problem and are there any suggestions on how this can be fixed?

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Hey everyone. I have been having this problem since this afternoon, and it's happened on and off again, but it's been very persistent this time.

The cursor, when I'm using my MacBook Pro, moves, clicks and scrolls all on it's own, when my hand is never even on the trackpad, and when I try to use the trackpad, it basically won't let me; it's like I'm fighting again something that's trying to control my trackpad.

Has anybody else encountered his problem and are there any suggestions on how this can be fixed?

Happened to me once. Had my old bluetooth mouse in my backpack near me.

neondrgns

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2010

I would venture a guess and say that you have touch to click enabled and your hands are too big (as mine are). When my palms touch the corners of the trackpad while i type it clicks and jumps all over the place.

This is a design flaw by apple. My typing posture is bad, I do not type with arches but this is not unreasonable. Trackpads too big.

ThirtyThr33

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2011
Boulder, Colorado
It does not have the "ignore" option but I disabled the "tap to click" option...and that worked for about 2 minutes then it started freezing and dragging on it's own again.

is it like opening files? because if so it sounds more of a breach in security rather than a remote app or wireless mouse.

KingMo

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2010
is it like opening files? because if so it sounds more of a breach in security rather than a remote app or wireless mouse.

It's not directly opening files. The cursor is just jerking back and forth and shaking and if I force it to click on an application, it may click on it if I pit the cursor over it. The most it has done is click on apps when I place it over them or create new folders on my desktop by mistake.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Reboot while holding Option to get into the Startup Manager. Leave it sitting on that screen for a while and see whether it continues to jump around. If it does, then it'll be a hardware problem.

KingMo

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2010
Reboot while holding Option to get into the Startup Manager. Leave it sitting on that screen for a while and see whether it continues to jump around. If it does, then it'll be a hardware problem.

Ok. So I should click restart while holding option. Or should i hold down the power button while holding option?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Ok. So I should click restart while holding option. Or should i hold down the power button while holding option?
Click restart. Then hold the option key after it shuts down, before it restarts.

KingMo

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2010
I took it to the apple store and the genius just cleaned the trackpad and it was better after that. He said it could have been jammed or something somewhere inside.

FSC

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2016
I took it to the apple store and the genius just cleaned the trackpad and it was better after that. He said it could have been jammed or something somewhere inside.

Hi KingMo,
I have the exact same problem that you had.
Can you tell me how they clean de trackpad or is it better to go to an apple store?
Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.