Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jul 6, 2011, 10:28 PM   #1
JeroenDebruyne
macrumors newbie

Imac 27" 2011, replace HDD for SSD is no problem!

Hello,

Today I bought my iMac 27" 6970M 1TB,

I wanted to replace the 1TB version with an SSD because I have a NAS for storage use.

It also makes the system almost completely silent, all I can hear now is a soft woosh coming from the bottom case fan.

For now I can only recommend the OCZ Vertex 3 128GB, it was the only SSD avail that didnt have any problems ramping up the HDD fan till its maximum. The only problem I saw so far is that the imac is not showing the correct temperature for the SSD (128). Though the fan does its job and hovers between 1000RPM and 1100 RPM.

I also tested a Crucial 256GB wich is an older drive, here I did encounter the fan speed problem (directly after power on the HDD fan goes to 6000RPM). I think it has something to do with the SMART feature on HDD's but still have to test more... since the crucial should have it aswell

When I have the time I will test more SSD's & 2TB drives to see if the HDD fan ramps up with diffrent brands & versions.

Also intresting is that I found an easy way for not having any dust leftovers when replacing back the screen after the upgrade!

Its pretty easy to do the replacement aswell with some prepping before :

1) Take of the glass ( I put some screencover over both the glass and the screen so it doesnt gets dusty and I put the glass somewhere safe )

2) Remove the 8 screws (2X4 located on left & right sides)

3) Lift the screen up slightly with a screwdriver on each side

4) Detach the cable on the right side

5) Lift the screen up a little more and put something between the screen and the chassis so you don't have to remove the entire screen

6) you can now safely remove the HDD and replace it

I will post some pictures,guide and more info soon for those who want it.

Greetz

Jeroen

Last edited by JeroenDebruyne; Jul 6, 2011 at 10:37 PM.
JeroenDebruyne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2011, 03:31 AM   #2
kgian
macrumors regular

Have you done any more tests with other drives??
kgian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2011, 06:52 AM   #3
nochnia
macrumors member

Thanks a lot mate
That's exactly what I'm going to do with mine.
Glad to hear that there are no problems with the Vertex 3

Any regrets that you took the 120GB Version instead of the 240GB Version...
nochnia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2011, 08:02 AM   #4
88 King
Banned

Did you do a Apple hardware test?

I replaced the stock hard drive with Crucial C300 SSD and got 4SNS/1/40000000:TH00-9.592 error in the hardware test.

My hard drive fan is now spinning around 1500rpm constantly and I lost the ability to change the speed. Still not big deal consider the saving over Apple BTO for ssd option.
88 King is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:04 AM   #5
WiiDSmoker
macrumors 65816

Does this void the warranty? I'd rather do this than pay a stupid $500 to Apple
WiiDSmoker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:58 AM   #6
kgian
macrumors regular

You used the cables that were connected to the hdd to connect the ssd, right??
kgian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2011, 02:20 PM   #7
Yury
macrumors newbie

JeroenDebruyne, thanks for your info. Can't wait for a full guide & photos.

Folks, anyone who did an upgrade HDD to Vertex 3 in new iMacs: could you confirm that there is no issues with a fan speed?

thx u in advance

Last edited by Yury; Nov 24, 2011 at 03:40 PM.
Yury is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2011, 02:45 PM   #8
mike457
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiiDSmoker View Post
Does this void the warranty? I'd rather do this than pay a stupid $500 to Apple
Yes, unless it's done by an official repair shop. The hard drive is not deemed user-replaceable. In fact, the only thing that doesn't void the warranty on an iMac is RAM.
mike457 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2011, 04:32 PM   #9
portishead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike457 View Post
Yes, unless it's done by an official repair shop. The hard drive is not deemed user-replaceable. In fact, the only thing that doesn't void the warranty on an iMac is RAM.
No it doesn't. Where does it say it voids your warranty?
portishead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2011, 04:32 PM   #10
Orlandoech
macrumors 68040

Where are the pics and guide?
Orlandoech is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2011, 04:52 PM   #11
gnasher729
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike457 View Post
It doesn't, except of course that damage while replacing the hard drive isn't covered, and if the replacement causes damage as a consequence. Let's say there is a fan that was disconnected during the replacement and you didn't reconnect it, that would be your problem.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:33 PM   #12
JeroenDebruyne
macrumors newbie

I did have some time to test more hard drives not SSD, the WD 2TB black worked just fine. Also the hardware test did not fail with the drives ive been testing.

So far aslong as the drive has SMART your fan should not ramp up... but I will test some older drives this week, I should get the new intel drives in stock soon aswell so I can test them aswell.

Im sorry that I haven't posted the guide and pics yet but I will really soon, have been really busy at work atm...

For the warranty, just save your old hard drive ... nothing apple can do about it if you replace it again before you take it in for warranty...

@Yuri : you will be safe with the Vertex 3 I can promise you that, no other cables needed if you replace the iMac's HDD.

@Nochnia No regret taking the 128GB, its more then enough for my OS+programs and some games, I guess if you have alot of games a 256GB would be better...

Last edited by JeroenDebruyne; Jul 19, 2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 12:08 PM   #13
nochnia
macrumors member

But what about the original cable? Is the standard cable already SATA III ? I thought for the Vertex 3 you need a SATA III cable?

And is there no need for a 3,5" to 2,5" SATA Adapter?
Old Jul 24, 2011, 01:07 PM   #14
nochnia
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nochnia View Post
But what about the original cable? Is the standard cable already SATA III ? I thought for the Vertex 3 you need a SATA III cable?

And is there no need for a 3,5" to 2,5" SATA Adapter?
Can JeroenDebruyne/anyone help me with this here please.
I don't know which sata adapter I need for the ssd...
Old Jul 27, 2011, 01:50 PM   #15
JeroenDebruyne
macrumors newbie

If you are replacing the original hard drive with an SSD you do not need to change the cable for SATA3.

If you buy the vertex 3, you will get a 2.5" adapter that you can use even in the iMac.

Sorry for the delay on the pics, so much work so less time
Old Jul 27, 2011, 02:21 PM   #16
nochnia
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeroenDebruyne View Post
If you are replacing the original hard drive with an SSD you do not need to change the cable for SATA3.

If you buy the vertex 3, you will get a 2.5" adapter that you can use even in the iMac.

Sorry for the delay on the pics, so much work so less time
Thanks man. Some Pictures would be awesome... I'm really a little bit nervous opening this expensive machine...
Old Jul 27, 2011, 04:13 PM   #17
dwd3885
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
It doesn't, except of course that damage while replacing the hard drive isn't covered, and if the replacement causes damage as a consequence. Let's say there is a fan that was disconnected during the replacement and you didn't reconnect it, that would be your problem.
of course, if something happens to your computer, you can put it back the way it was and not worry about the warranty issues.
dwd3885 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2011, 04:37 PM   #18
jscw
macrumors newbie

great, can't wait for pictures.
jscw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2011, 05:47 PM   #19
Rychy
macrumors 6502

Very interested in seeing some pictures... I'm thinking about selling my 2008 Mac Pro and getting an iMac or MacBook Pro. What's really hurting the iMac for me is that I can't install (or thought I couldn't) my own SSD for the OS.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 05:31 AM   #20
bakura
macrumors member

So you don't have to buy a specific SATA III adapter for iMac 2011 like it was written in some other websites ?
bakura is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 05:50 PM   #21
JeroenDebruyne
macrumors newbie

First off all SATA2 or SATA3 cable stuff is a gimmick and also a commercial thing.

You can perfectly add an SSD to the imac without changing the cable that already is attached to the 3.5" HDD.

If you would add an SSD and keep your 1TB HDD then I suggest you get a new cable SATA3, but an SATA2 cable would just the same.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 06:03 PM   #22
MrXiro
macrumors 68030

Pics or it didn't happen.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 05:35 PM   #23
Yury
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeroenDebruyne View Post
First off all SATA2 or SATA3 cable stuff is a gimmick and also a commercial thing.

You can perfectly add an SSD to the imac without changing the cable that already is attached to the 3.5" HDD.

If you would add an SSD and keep your 1TB HDD then I suggest you get a new cable SATA3, but an SATA2 cable would just the same.
Hey man, place some photos here please. We're waiting so long...
I'm stuck thinking to buy or not vertex 3 120 to replace loudly HDD, but scare of fun issues.

Last edited by Yury; Nov 24, 2011 at 03:39 PM.
Yury is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2011, 11:42 AM   #24
NiekDeflou
macrumors newbie

I have done the same as JeroenDebruyne, and I confirm it works. I've also used the Vertex 3, and I used the Sata cable from the old HDD (As JeroenDebruyne said, there is absolutely no difference between SATA 2 & SATA 3 cables physicaly, other then the standard for SATA3 HAS to have a clip to lock it (which the standard one in the iMac has anyway))

I'm sorry but i haven't taken pictures, and i'm not taking it appart again to take some pictures ... take my word for it, its not very hard if you know what you are doing.

Thank you JeroenDebruyne for "being the canary in the mine"
NiekDeflou is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac