Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:53 PM   #1
johneaston
Banned

iPhone showing "No service"... but there is.

Several times over the last couple of weeks my 3GS has had prolonged periods of "No service" even though I usually get signal in the area.

The other day, desparately needing to send a text and tried to send one - it went through. I then receieved a reply and sent another, all the time with the phone showing "No service". I restarted my phone and then had 4 bars.

Is this a bug? Anyone else had this?
johneaston is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2011, 01:18 PM   #2
PsstGreek
macrumors 68040

It could be your sim card. Swap it out for a new and see if the problem persists.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 02:52 PM   #3
itsalexaye
Banned

Have u tried restoring as new?
itsalexaye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2011, 03:26 PM   #4
Genocide
macrumors member

Go to Settings --> General --> Reset --> Reset Network Settings. This will most likely provide you with a temporary fix to allow you to send a text or make a call, though your phone will probably begin to have the same issue in a few hours.

I had this problem with my phone last year and it eventually fixed itself, making me believe it was my service provider.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 07:33 PM   #5
awadeee
macrumors 68020

It happens to me very seldomly. When it happens, try turning Airplane Mode on until the "Carrier" tab underneath disappears completely. Turn Airplane Mode off and allow the phone to search for service.

If the problem happens often, try restoring your iPhone with iTunes or getting a new SIM card.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 07:35 PM   #6
WillEH
macrumors 6502a

I have the same, I also have a shocking signal sometimes, even though I'm in a strong signal zone. I'm with Orange.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting