Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
Sorry for the noob question. I really tried to search but I have a feeling this question is so basic that no one has taken the time to explain it properly.

I installed Lion on the second partition of my hard drive. I still have my SL install on the other.

I would like to copy files from SL into Lion from my home folder in SL but when I look at my SL partition all I see are folders with the minus signs. I know that I don't have permissions to look at these folders in Lion. How do I get these permissions? Do I do this in Lion or in SL? I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the get info dialogue but I'm afraid of screwing something up on my snow leopard install which I need for work.

Do I add my Lion account here?

Thanks in advance! This has confused me for a while.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-07-08 at 1.35.48 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-07-08 at 1.35.48 PM.png
    19.9 KB · Views: 636
  • Screen shot 2011-07-08 at 1.36.51 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-07-08 at 1.36.51 PM.png
    32.3 KB · Views: 151

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
Thanks but I'm trying to move basically everything (I'll need like +100GB of space)

So is this not as simple as I thought it was? Anyone?

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Is the screenshot showing the permission settings for your whole SL partition or just some folder? I'm speaking from my Snow Leopard experience here, but I would have expected there to be a checkbox to enable ignoring ownership on the volume...

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
Is the screenshot showing the permission settings for your whole SL partition or just some folder? I'm speaking from my Snow Leopard experience here, but I would have expected there to be a checkbox to enable ignoring ownership on the volume...

This is just of my home folder. I've read about the checkbox you mentioned but I didn't know you had to select the whole volume for it to work. Thanks!

I already found a solution that is good enough for me. I added the group (or user?) admin to my home folder and then gave it read write access. Now my Lion install, can see the folders in SL for just my standard user account (which is the one I use in SL so this is exactly what I wanted)

Thanks for the help!

SiPat

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
If you know what you are doing, it is easier to login as root and all those minus signs will disappear -- you do this at your own risk.

Boot into Lion, go to Systems Preferences -->Accounts, unlock the lock, CTRL-click on your account name, select Advanced Options... and the fifth box allows you to change your Home directory -- click on Change... button and link to your Snow Leopard user folder.

As a precaution, I would first boot into SnoLeo, copy the Home folder to another location and link to that for testing purposes. Once you're happy everything works fine, re-link to SnoLeo user folder. Once again:

you do this at your own risk

Madd the Sane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Utah
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The reason why you might not have permission to see items in your home folder could be because the user number on your Lion installation is different than your Snow Leopard one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.