Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jul 8, 2011, 11:04 PM   #1
Jac0b
macrumors newbie

How do I setup my D-Link DWA 130 USB Stick with my Powermac G5

I can't seem to get my powermac to use the d-link WLAN Adapter. I don't know how to set it up. I can't use the internet without it, therefore my mac is useless! Can somebody help me?
Jac0b is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2011, 11:14 PM   #2
dontwalkhand
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to dontwalkhand
Do you have the RALink drivers for Mac? (Did you purchase a compatible wireless card? If so, the Ralink drivers should work with your card).

If not, there are other ways to obtain internet wirelessly, using an old router and DD-WRT, or an Airport Extreme based network.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 08:29 AM   #3
Jac0b
macrumors newbie

Thanks, I may have a old router layin around somewhere. I'll let ya know if it works. I also have another problem. My mac has Mac OS X Panther on it. And I wanted to get a mac game I had downloaded offline from my windows pc and transfer it to my Mac using a USB Storage device. But, every time I plug it into my mac the mac says that there are no volumes readable on the storage device.
So I tried using a disk to transfer some pics and documents and when I insert the disk into the mac it does nothing. Although it shows up in Disk Utility. How do I transfer my stuff to my Mac?
Old Jul 9, 2011, 12:45 PM   #4
dontwalkhand
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to dontwalkhand
http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials...ess-Bridge.htm

I hope this article I linked you to above will help you build a wireless bridge out of that old router. Currently with my G5, I am using an old Airlink 101 router. You would only need to flash the secondary router with DD-WRT, not the primary one, which is a good thing because it is a lot less work. My main router is an Airport, while the secondary is an Airlink 101.

The useful part about this is that I don't have to deal with connecting my other Wi-fi less devices (Such as my old Xbox 360 arcade) by buying a wi-fi adapter...the xbox can go into one of the LAN ports along with the G5.

As for transferring files to the Mac, make sure the flash drive is formatted as FAT or HFS+. You may want to try upgrading to either Tiger or Leopard (If your hardware supports it).

Hope this helps...
Old Jul 10, 2011, 01:29 AM   #5
Jac0b
macrumors newbie

Hey, I thank you enough for your help. I figured out the file transfer problem and I just connected to my router with a ethernet cable and it connected right away. I have been trying to get themes on my mac runinng Mac OS X 10.3. But, I don'tknow what to use. Some people say ThemeChanger is ok but, then some people say that ThemeChanger is not a good idea. What should I do?
Old Jul 10, 2011, 03:17 AM   #6
VanneDC
macrumors 6502a

Uhhmm that stick is a realtek chipset... id suggest looking for a driver, might/might not work.
VanneDC is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs