Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old Jul 9, 2011, 09:57 AM   #1
kkinto
macrumors newbie

Silicon Image eSATA driver update for Lion?

Deja vu here with my eSata PCI card - Lion install moved them (SiliconImage3132.kext, SiCoreService) to the incompatible software folder and so those two HDs didn't mount, just like snow leopard did in its day!

Anyone know if an update for this is pending or going to be a similar wait as it was last time?

thx
kkinto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 04:04 PM   #2
amagpoc
macrumors newbie

esata expresscard on lion

did the same for me when lion installed. so i downloaded the lacie driver and esata card works now. but mine is a expresscard. so i put the link for pci card. it shouldn't matter on the brand as they are the same card for different manufacturers.

express card driver:
http://www.lacie.com/us/support/driv...r.htm?id=10186

pci driver:
http://www.lacie.com/us/support/driv...r.htm?id=10093

hope this works for you too.

Warning. The system display was glitching, with program crashes but thought it was a particular program I was using but it turns out I did a clean install of lion and opted to not install the esata drivers. All is good but will have to live without the esata card for now.

Last edited by amagpoc; Jul 24, 2011 at 01:02 PM.
amagpoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 06:15 AM   #3
SimonTheSoundMa
macrumors 6502a

I'm having the same problem. Lion keeps on uninstalling the drivers and moving them to the incompatible software folder.

I reinstall and all works fine for a while.

Get the latest drivers for 3132 from http://www.siliconimage.com/support/...x?pid=32&cat=3
SimonTheSoundMa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2011, 09:17 AM   #4
Magrathea
macrumors regular

Hanging / crashing

Seems like this driver is wreaking havoc with my system. Hanging Finder and entire machine. THink it happens when the machine sleeps?

Anyone? I have one of these cheapie esata cards with this chipset.
Magrathea is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2011, 05:27 PM   #5
subaqua
macrumors member

same problem

same problem here; drivers worked fine through all the pre-releases of Lion but the GM version was the first time it was marked incompatible.

I've tried the Lacie driver but that didn't work for me.

Which eSATA cards are the "best supported" by apple for an older Mac Pro?

Since I have a 2008 Mac Pro, eSATA is the most cost effective and highest performing option for some of my disks now. What about the HighPoint brand cards that Apple sells on the online store? Are they any good? What about Sonnet ?
subaqua is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 01:42 PM   #6
Outrider
macrumors newbie

This is a consistent problem with any card using Silicon Image

I can no longer connect to my Drobo via eSATA because the two cards that Drobo "approves" both use the Silicon Image chipset. I spoke to LaCie and they say that they are working on the driver issue. So LaCie and Sonnet are out. Allegedly the Sonnet E4P card works with Lion but it's really expensive as is the LaCie 4 port and there is no word on the operability of the LaCie card.

To the gentleman who asked about the Highpoint cards sold by Apple, I had already done some research on these and based on incredibly poor reliability reviews and non-existent technical support, I've decided to stay away as the reputation is so poor.

I hope that Sonnet gets their s*** in order soon. I am tired of trying different cards to discover that I remain S*** out of luck
Outrider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 09:55 PM   #7
Nepenthe
macrumors member

sonnet drivers

My Wiebetech Teracard express/34 started working on Lion after I installed the Sonnet Tempo drivers.

here:
http://www.sonnettech.com/support/kb...=&action=a3#a3

"Tempo SATA E2P, Tempo SATA Edge ExpressCard/34 and Tempo SATA ExpressCard/34 Driver (OS X 10.5+) 1.2.5"
Nepenthe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2011, 10:29 PM   #8
YanL
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to YanL
Thumbs up Works for Griffin eSata 34 card also!

Thanks: Griffin esata express card 34 start working with this driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
My Wiebetech Teracard express/34 started working on Lion after I installed the Sonnet Tempo drivers.

here:

"Tempo SATA E2P, Tempo SATA Edge ExpressCard/34 and Tempo SATA ExpressCard/34 Driver (OS X 10.5+) 1.2.5"
YanL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2011, 10:42 PM   #9
mattbisme
macrumors newbie

Thumbs up Works for Multiple cards!

Thank you!

This worked for my IOGear PCI Express card (which never had any official Mac drivers)! As a bonus, these drivers also worked for my StarTech.com Mini-PCI Express card that I just installed into my Hackintosh.

It appears as though these drivers will work with any device with a Silicon Image Sil3132 based chipset.

Great find!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post

here:

mattbisme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 11:36 PM   #10
almostasian
macrumors newbie

I bought a MP (Mac Pro 3,1) used with a backup G RAID which connects via eSata. I updated to 10.7.2 when I got it home. I haven't been able to connect anything through the eSata port since then. I was looking for maybe a driver update when I got here.

I saw this when I got here - The quote below describes exactly what's been going on with my system (other than not being able to connect the esata)! I thought it was not enough memory or maybe the graphics card.... but I'm not a tech head, I need a layman's version of what this means! What do I do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagpoc View Post

Warning. The system display was glitching, with program crashes but thought it was a particular program I was using but it turns out I did a clean install of lion and opted to not install the esata drivers. All is good but will have to live without the esata card for now.
almostasian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 11:42 PM   #11
mattbisme
macrumors newbie

If you are using a 3rd party eSATA card, make sure you are using the most recent drivers. Also, the drivers being talked about in this tread are specifically for Silicon Image chips. You'll need to make sure you're card uses the same chipset.

At best, get updated drivers from the manufacturers website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostasian View Post
I bought a MP (Mac Pro 3,1) used with a backup G RAID which connects via eSata. I updated to 10.7.2 when I got it home. I haven't been able to connect anything through the eSata port since then. I was looking for maybe a driver update when I got here.

I saw this when I got here - The quote below describes exactly what's been going on with my system (other than not being able to connect the esata)! I thought it was not enough memory or maybe the graphics card.... but I'm not a tech head, I need a layman's version of what this means! What do I do?
mattbisme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 04:17 PM   #12
almostasian
macrumors newbie

Thanks! How do I know if I have a Silicon Image chip?
almostasian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2011, 01:22 AM   #13
Fanaios
macrumors newbie

Question esata expresscard on lion

I have a DLock xpress34 card using the Silicon Image 3132 chip.
Was worked fine with Lion the first week, than it was a Kernel panic the moment inserting the card with the HD already running on it. After that moment was not able to appear on Lions screen.
Now is working again with this trick: after restarting, clearing the bios memory, with pressed the the keys (Alt+Command + R+P) i used a 4 USB card with its own power supply, on the Xpress slot, to mount an Hard Drive. after that i restarted with the Si3132 slot inserted with the HD already running on it and is working still now.
I think we need an Lion updated driver by Silicon Image! Last one was released on 2010.

By the moment, SOMEBODY KNOWS THE PATH OF THE DRAWER CONTAINING THE "UNCOMPATIBLE FILES" ON MAC?

Last edited by Fanaios; Nov 22, 2011 at 01:31 AM.
Fanaios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 08:50 AM   #14
stcraw4d
macrumors newbie

I know I'm bumping an old post, but I'm having a problem with this, too. I'm having problems with the Sonnet equipment.

Quick background, I purchased the Express Card/34 Thunderbolt Adapter and Tempo SATA Edge ExpressCard/34 to connect my Drobo S to my iMac at home. I was unable to download the driver from the included disc - nor was I allowed to download it from Sonnet's website.

When I click the installer .pkg file from my home computer, it's greyed out and gives an error message about a BOM being moved.

When I click the exact same file from my work computer, it launches just fine.

My specs are:

Home computer: imac i7, 3.4GHz, 16GB Ram, OSX 10.7.3

Work Computer: 2x2.4 Quad Core Intel Xeon, 6GB RAM, OSX 10.6.8

So, I'm obviously assuming it's a computer issue. But, I've never had any other issues installing at home. I'm attaching images of the differences for reference.

The correct install pkg icon is work computer - the white doc icon is at home.

Ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-03-19 at 10.02.15 PM.png
Views:	42
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	331591   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-03-20 at 10.16.37 PM.png
Views:	45
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	331592   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-03-21 at 8.36.35 AM.png
Views:	52
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	331593  

stcraw4d is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2012, 07:31 PM   #15
IDANNY
macrumors 6502a

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTheSoundMa View Post
I'm having the same problem. Lion keeps on uninstalling the drivers and moving them to the incompatible software folder.

I reinstall and all works fine for a while.

Get the latest drivers for 3132 from http://www.siliconimage.com/support/...x?pid=32&cat=3

Just did a re-install of this and everything is working great again.
Thank you.
My Time Clock ! Website
IDANNY is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2012, 03:58 PM   #16
voyagerd
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to voyagerd Send a message via MSN to voyagerd Send a message via Yahoo to voyagerd Send a message via Skype™ to voyagerd
Anyone found a driver that works with Mountain Lion? The 1.2.5 one from Silicon Image's website doesn't work.
voyagerd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2012, 06:00 PM   #17
Alameda
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagerd View Post
Anyone found a driver that works with Mountain Lion? The 1.2.5 one from Silicon Image's website doesn't work.
Let me see what I can do. It will take me a few days.

Last edited by Alameda; Jul 24, 2012 at 06:25 PM.
Alameda is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:54 AM   #18
IDANNY
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Alameda, if you can figure something out that would be great.
My Time Clock ! Website
IDANNY is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:43 PM   #19
voyagerd
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to voyagerd Send a message via MSN to voyagerd Send a message via Yahoo to voyagerd Send a message via Skype™ to voyagerd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alameda View Post
Let me see what I can do. It will take me a few days.
Thanks a ton! Let me know if I can be of any assistance. I've gotten used to eSATA for everything. USB feels so incredibly slow.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 04:09 PM   #20
Alameda
macrumors 6502

It would be a big help to get just some basic details:
1) Did anybody get the SiI3132 to work properly in Mountain Lion (and stay working)?
2) Whether it works or not -- what Mac hardware are you using with it?
3) Besides the driver getting unloaded, any other problems?
4) Are you sure this is with latest Silicon Image driver from the website?

If its just a matter of getting the driver signed, that should be reasonably quick. Let me know if it seems to be something else. Yes, I have friends there, but no, I'm not their tech support resource.

Last edited by Alameda; Jul 25, 2012 at 06:44 PM.
Alameda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:20 PM   #21
niclet
macrumors newbie

Smile With Mountain Lion...

Quote:
Hey! voyagerd, it work well with the Sonnet's #146 aka "Tempo SATA E2P, Tempo SATA Edge ExpressCard/34 and Tempo SATA ExpressCard/34 Driver (OS X 10.5+) 1.2.6"

I'm on Mountain Lion and had to reinstall the driver but instead of the 1.2.5 on the Silicon Image's web page, I dl directly the 1.2.6 on the Sonnet's support page and it work perfectly.

(http://www.sonnettech.com/support/kb...=&action=a3#a3)

The only thing, is the security setting in System Preferences, wouldn't allow me to install the driver because «the developer isn't listed». I had to set it to allow everything and then it would let me install it. After reboot, I set back the security config as it was before.

Hope this help.
niclet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:29 PM   #22
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Silicon Image basically dropped OSX support on all of these as of Lion. It was most likely not cost effective to continue supporting OSX. This pretty much applies to anything using their chipsets. Really eSATA has never been that amazing. It worked because it was cheap and firewire went stagnant. The third party card market relies on margins that are somewhat slim, and with usb3 out on Macs + no real improvements planned to the eSATA standard, I don't see it holding out much longer.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:48 AM   #23
voyagerd
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekev View Post
Silicon Image basically dropped OSX support on all of these as of Lion. It was most likely not cost effective to continue supporting OSX. This pretty much applies to anything using their chipsets. Really eSATA has never been that amazing. It worked because it was cheap and firewire went stagnant. The third party card market relies on margins that are somewhat slim, and with usb3 out on Macs + no real improvements planned to the eSATA standard, I don't see it holding out much longer.
That's unfortunately true, however my three external hard drives are all eSATA and I need eSATA to plug in drives on my desktop easily.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by niclet View Post
Hey! voyagerd, it work well with the Sonnet's #146 aka "Tempo SATA E2P, Tempo SATA Edge ExpressCard/34 and Tempo SATA ExpressCard/34 Driver (OS X 10.5+) 1.2.6"

I'm on Mountain Lion and had to reinstall the driver but instead of the 1.2.5 on the Silicon Image's web page, I dl directly the 1.2.6 on the Sonnet's support page and it work perfectly.

(http://www.sonnettech.com/support/kb...=&action=a3#a3)

The only thing, is the security setting in System Preferences, wouldn't allow me to install the driver because «the developer isn't listed». I had to set it to allow everything and then it would let me install it. After reboot, I set back the security config as it was before.

Hope this help.
I saw that driver and thought about trying it. I guess I'll give it a try tonight!
Old Jul 26, 2012, 05:05 PM   #24
Jhearn11
macrumors newbie

Did you have to uninstall the old drivers before trying the new ones in mountain lion? If so, how did you do it?
Jhearn11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:09 PM   #25
voyagerd
macrumors 65816

THEY WORK! I just installed 1.2.6 over the 1.2.5 driver that I had installed. Thank you niclet!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion