Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old Jul 9, 2011, 11:08 AM   #1
Powermax
macrumors member

Deleting files doesn't free space

I just noticed a very annoying bug - I deleted a file (approx. 1GB), after that I emptied the trash. Sadly, disk usage in the disk utility app does not show any change.

The I went on an deleted a whole folder (over 3 GB) but the available disk space did not change.

Even when I delete a file using the rm command in terminal, I do not gain free space.

Whatsize does show me that my hard drive uses 84GB of space, but when I add up all the folders on the right side, I only get about 77GB.

It doesn't matter if Filevault full disk encryption is enabled or disabled, the problem still occurs.

Does anyone have the same problem?

Last edited by Powermax; Jul 10, 2011 at 02:28 AM.
Powermax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2011, 02:07 PM   #2
baryon
macrumors 68030

Maybe you have Local Snapshots in Time Machine, which means everything gets backed up, and since it's incremental, you only have one copy of every file, which is why your file remains in the backup when you delete it?
Old Jul 9, 2011, 02:33 PM   #3
shoppy
macrumors 6502a

It does free up the space, just seems to take a bit of time to do it.
shoppy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2011, 02:01 AM   #4
Powermax
macrumors member

Yes that's it! I was able to restore some file without having to plug in my time machine backup drive, so it must have been stored on my local harddrive.

That is definitly a nice feature for some people. But when I delete a file and empty the trash I usually like it to be gone and don't want it beeing stored somewhere on my harddrive. It feels like I'm loosing control over my hard disk space... Sadly I can't seem to disable this feature without disabling Time Machine completely, neither can't I control how long these local backups are beeing kept.

Last edited by Powermax; Jul 10, 2011 at 02:06 AM.
Powermax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2011, 02:32 AM   #5
baryon
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powermax View Post
Yes that's it! I was able to restore some file without having to plug in my time machine backup drive, so it must have been stored on my local harddrive.

That is definitly a nice feature for some people. But when I delete a file and empty the trash I usually like it to be gone and don't want it beeing stored somewhere on my harddrive. It feels like I'm loosing control over my hard disk space... Sadly I can't seem to disable this feature without disabling Time Machine completely, neither can't I control how long these local backups are beeing kept.
Damn, that's not cool... I don't like the idea of my internal hard drive being consumed by backups, especially when I have an external.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion