Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Apr 4, 2005, 04:25 AM   #1
BigDogUK
macrumors newbie

Compile a single C++ file

Hey all.

I'm starting a little bit of coding on OSX and only started learning recently. I was wondering if there is any way to compile a single C++ file in XCode without having to create a project.

Just on Windows I was using Context and a .bat file so I could just press F5 and it'd compile with the correct file name. Saves me having to go to console etc.

So is this possible using XCode? And/or is there another way to do this easily?
BigDogUK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 04:28 AM   #2
Mitthrawnuruodo

The easiest is just to use Terminal:

gcc -o appname file.cpp
Old Apr 5, 2005, 01:27 PM   #3
noht*
macrumors member

you might also want to consider g++ instead of gcc for increased ease of use (it already includes the c++ standard libraries.)
noht* is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 01:50 PM   #4
gekko513
macrumors 601

XCode isn't well suited for tiny projects like that. Actually I'm not aware of any simple IDE on the Mac that are suitable for this kind of thing ... I'll do some searching ...
Old Jun 11, 2009, 04:08 AM   #5
Robin Forder
macrumors newbie

Compile a single C++ file

You could try right/ctrl clicking on the document. In most cases, the context sensitive menu will show a compile option (below Get Info). Right clicking on the file name in the Groups & Files menu should work if that doesn't.

http://www.monen.nl/DevDoc/documenta...section_3.html & see Compiling Individual Files.

Also, there's a thing called Predictive Compilation that can be switched on in the building pane of the preferences, which compiles as you code:

http://developer.apple.com/documenta...02695-CBHJCIIF.

Last edited by Robin Forder; Jun 11, 2009 at 04:47 AM.
Robin Forder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2009, 01:12 PM   #6
autorelease
macrumors regular

TextMate has a "Compile Single File to Tool" option, and TextWrangler will let you pipe your file into a shell script.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 01:18 PM   #7
sammich
macrumors 601

This wins:

Code:
make filename
That's the file name without the extension. For example: to compile main.cc, just type "make main".
Your program will be called main. It's a shortcut for g++ -o main main.cc
Old Jun 16, 2009, 10:52 PM   #8
Some Guy 555
macrumors regular

I conquer with the make command, its useful however in large applications (and especially in upper classes in post secondary) its advisable to make the compiler display more than just a few errors.

This is my favorite.

For C++

g++ filename.cpp -o name -Wall

The above compiles a C++ file by the name of filename.cpp and names the executable name. What is different here is the -Wall command, which is short for with all warnings/errors.

Very useful to display many possible errors that would not be made clear with a default compile.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 10:54 AM   #9
dioscw
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammich View Post
This wins:

Code:
make filename
That's the file name without the extension. For example: to compile main.cc, just type "make main".
Your program will be called main. It's a shortcut for g++ -o main main.cc
Whit this method I can compile my source file perfect, but with the gcc sourcefile.c -target -Wall only create and a.out file..... what I am doing wrong?

I need to compile simple C files for a basic university programing course and my laptop computer is a mac.

Thanks!
dioscw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 11:41 AM   #10
notjustjay
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by dioscw View Post
Whit this method I can compile my source file perfect, but with the gcc sourcefile.c -target -Wall only create and a.out file..... what I am doing wrong?
Nothing. "a.out" is the compiled executable generated from your C code. Rename it to something else (main, or whatever) as you wish.

Run it in Terminal by typing

Code:
./a.out
Old Mar 8, 2010, 11:44 AM   #11
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dioscw View Post
Nothing wrong. if you don't sepify a name the default name is "a.out" To run it just type ./a.out

If you want to specify a name use the "-o" switch

gcc myfile.c -o myfile

Also use you other switches like -wall or -g if you like But if you leave off the -o gcc uses the default
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming