Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jul 9, 2011, 06:46 PM   #1
iSayuSay
macrumors 68030

How to change menu and tab bar color in Safari?

I have a problem with ... umm .. I don't know what it's called, background color? Window color? It's the gray color on the top of Safari window, including the bookmarks bar, tab bar background color.

I don't feel convenient to look at that dark grayish color on Safari, it's hard and tiring to read text on it, too dark gray. Can I change the color scheme? I like Chrome much better. It has lighter gray on tabs and keep darker gray for main window to make it still look OSX-ish, while still has much better readability.

I even like the color when Safari is in background and become inactive window. Lighter gray and much better readability. Please don't tell me "Just use Chrome then .." It's better if you can improve things rather than runaway from it, isn't it?

Please tell me how to do it .. Thank you

Last edited by iSayuSay; Jul 9, 2011 at 06:53 PM.
iSayuSay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2011, 10:48 PM   #2
Patdt13
macrumors 6502

you can't
Patdt13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:21 AM   #3
Droxx
macrumors newbie

Hi iSayuSay,

I've been at this myself for quit a while now as well. I found a way to edit most of the safari browser. The buttons and the tabs. The only thing i cannot figure out is how the bigger grey area can be edited.

Anyway for the tabs go to: applications > "right click" safari and "click" "Show package content" --> Content --> Resources and then you find all the buttons (including the tabs). Make sure you BACKUP your files here before you start to edit them. To edit use a program like photoshop and save it. If you want to edit the entire layout it's going to be a lot of work.

It's the only solution if come across so far and like i said the only thing i can't find is the the image for the greater grey area. I reckon it's programmed into the application and therefore not easy to edit, not sure though.

I hope this is clear and helps you out a bit.
Droxx is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store