Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Jul 9, 2011, 09:20 PM   #1
marshallbedsaul
macrumors 6502a

transfering music to computer

trying to transfer about 10k songs to my computer not my mac from my ipod classic. I have searched google and see so many answers but nothing solid please help this is my whole collection thank you.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 09:45 PM   #2
And1ss
macrumors 6502a

If you don't have a mac, that might be slightly difficult to do, since Senuti is the program for mac. However, I remember a long time ago (iPod mini era), that I was able to access the iPod like a removable drive and copy all the music from the iPod to the computer.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 09:54 PM   #3
marshallbedsaul
macrumors 6502a

yeah i can do it on my mac just fine, but my desktop is a pc and i need to transfer the music there as well.

anyone please help.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 08:18 AM   #4
Scepticalscribe
macrumors Demi-Goddess

Interesting thread, and I have to report that I have a similar problem, but with a Mac; my HD on my MBP very unusually died a while ago (it has since been replaced along with the battery which had also expired; I had Applecare so repairs were not a problem). What was and is a problem is that my iTunes library has vanished as well. My two iPods - a 80GB classic and a 64GB Touch contain my iTunes library.

So, fellow MR denizens, what solutions exist, or how can I reconstitute my iTunes library in my MBA? Any help, advice or suggestions deeply appreciated.

Cheers
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2011, 10:11 AM   #5
quizzi
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by And1ss View Post
I remember a long time ago (iPod mini era), that I was able to access the iPod like a removable drive and copy all the music from the iPod to the computer.
I believe you mean by doing this?

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-...-5-easy-steps/

This is one of the ways you can transfer music from your iPod to your computer. However, note that you may lose some data as I recall I lost about 100-200 songs when I attempted this method.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 04:10 PM   #6
And1ss
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallbedsaul View Post
yeah i can do it on my mac just fine, but my desktop is a pc and i need to transfer the music there as well.

anyone please help.
Transfer iPod music to Mac and copy the music to your pc via external harddrive and reconstitute your library from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepticalscribe View Post
Interesting thread, and I have to report that I have a similar problem, but with a Mac; my HD on my MBP very unusually died a while ago (it has since been replaced along with the battery which had also expired; I had Applecare so repairs were not a problem). What was and is a problem is that my iTunes library has vanished as well. My two iPods - a 80GB classic and a 64GB Touch contain my iTunes library.

So, fellow MR denizens, what solutions exist, or how can I reconstitute my iTunes library in my MBA? Any help, advice or suggestions deeply appreciated.

Cheers
Transfer iPod music to Mac and copy the music to your pc via external harddrive and reconstitute your library from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quizzi View Post

This is one of the ways you can transfer music from your iPod to your computer. However, note that you may lose some data as I recall I lost about 100-200 songs when I attempted this method.
I guess, but I ripped many of my friends' iPods without data loss.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 05:05 PM   #7
slothrob
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by quizzi View Post

I'm trying to recover a bunch of music that I have on my 4th generation iPod, without reripping all the CDs. I can't use Senuti because I'm on OS10.4 and when I try and follow these directions I get a "Do you want to format this drive" message from a Windows machine.

Any thoughts?
slothrob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2011, 06:36 PM   #8
Scepticalscribe
macrumors Demi-Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by And1ss View Post
Transfer iPod music to Mac.....
Well, yes, that's my problem. I no longer have a PC and it was the HD of my Mac (MBP) that died taking its memories with it. I have a newish MBA but would like to be able to transfer the music library from either of my two iPods to the MBA. Suggestions would be more than welcome - they would be exceptionally gratefully received.

In any case, thank you for addressing what you thought my problem was......

Cheers
Old Jul 11, 2011, 05:22 AM   #9
slothrob
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepticalscribe View Post
I have a newish MBA but would like to be able to transfer the music library from either of my two iPods to the MBA.
I think Senuti (free for the first 1000 songs) would solve your problem. I couldn't try it, though, because I'm still using 10.4 on my G4 iBook.
slothrob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2011, 06:23 AM   #10
Scepticalscribe
macrumors Demi-Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by slothrob View Post
I think Senuti (free for the first 1000 songs) would solve your problem. I couldn't try it, though, because I'm still using 10.4 on my G4 iBook.
I'll try that and thanks for the suggestion.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:51 PM   #11
MarjeIlean
macrumors newbie

transfering music to computer

I had the nano but yesterday I got the iPhone 3G S. I don't know how to transfer my music from my computer to my new iPhone.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 12:34 AM   #12
Illumination
macrumors regular

If you have Windows, the process is fairly simple and requires no software.
  1. Open your My Computer directory.
  2. Double click on your iPod.
  3. Go to Tools > Folder Options > View.
  4. In the Advanced Settings list, under Hidden files and folders, check the radio button for Show hidden files and folders. Then click OK.
  5. Go to iPod_Control > Music. You'll see the iPod's music organized randomly into a bunch of folders. Copy those into your music directory.
  6. Although the filenames of the songs will be scrambled, their ID3 tags will be intact, so you'll be able to navigate the songs as usual on your computer or another iPod.
  7. To unscramble the filenames:
  8. In iTunes, go to Edit>Preferences. b. Under the Advanced tab, under the General "sub-tab", select the local folder where you have copied the music from your iPod (by clicking Change...) c. Check the box "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" and click OK. d. If you haven't done so already, add all the recently copied music to you iTunes library. e. The process might take a few minutes, and might require you to close and re-open iTunes to even get it started, but when it's done, you'll have a nicely sorted folder structure.

I've done this on Windows XP with an iPod Classic on multiple occasions. As for macs, the process is more difficult, because you can't easily view the hidden files, and I could never figure it out. You may want to download software in that case.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 11:33 AM   #13
Abs_p
macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

http://www.getsharepod.com/
Abs_p is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod