Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 9, 2011, 09:20 PM   #1
boston44
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2009
MacBook Air- Worth it?

I've got the chance to buy a MacBook Air (first generation) with charger, but no install discs or box. Just the comp and charger. The problem is, it needs a new battery for $129 from Apple. I thought you could just replace these without Apple's help, considering it's the first gen? Anyways, he wants $350. Anyone think it's worth it? Thanks
__________________
27" iMac i3 3.2 GHz, 13" MacBook Pro 2.26 GHz, iPhone 4 16 GB. Windows: "Life Without Walls"...Boston44: If we have no walls, why do we need Windows!?
boston44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2011, 09:21 PM   #2
Yumunum
macrumors 65816
 
Yumunum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: U.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boston44 View Post
I've got the chance to buy a MacBook Air (first generation) with charger, but no install discs or box. Just the comp and charger. The problem is, it needs a new battery for $129 from Apple. I thought you could just replace these without Apple's help, considering it's the first gen? Anyways, he wants $350. Anyone think it's worth it? Thanks
I wouldn't do it... Go on Craigslist, save $200 more dollars, and buy a 2010 MBA
Yumunum is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2011, 09:25 PM   #3
boston44
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumunum View Post
I wouldn't do it... Go on Craigslist, save $200 more dollars, and buy a 2010 MBA
I could buy a newer, better one at the moment. But I'm cheap I only want to do it if it's truly a good deal, and not worth it for me to spend more to get a better machine, but after $129 it'll be $480 without install discs. Can a 2010 be had for $700 on clist?
__________________
27" iMac i3 3.2 GHz, 13" MacBook Pro 2.26 GHz, iPhone 4 16 GB. Windows: "Life Without Walls"...Boston44: If we have no walls, why do we need Windows!?
boston44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2011, 09:28 PM   #4
tbobmccoy
macrumors 6502a
 
tbobmccoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Send a message via AIM to tbobmccoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumunum View Post
I wouldn't do it... Go on Craigslist, save $200 more dollars, and buy a 2010 MBA
It'll be more than 200, but yeah, get a different MacBook Air. Red flags on notebooks without disks or USB backup drives...
__________________
Have: Mac mini (mid 2011 2.5ghz i5, 8GB, 500 GB, ATI Radeon 6630m 256mb), MacBook Pro (mid 2009, 2.8ghz C2D, 4gb, 500gb HDD, nvidia 9600m GT), iPhone 6 Plus 64GB Black/Space Gray, iPad (2012) 32GB
tbobmccoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2011, 09:46 PM   #5
Yumunum
macrumors 65816
 
Yumunum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: U.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boston44 View Post
I could buy a newer, better one at the moment. But I'm cheap I only want to do it if it's truly a good deal, and not worth it for me to spend more to get a better machine, but after $129 it'll be $480 without install discs. Can a 2010 be had for $700 on clist?
It's SO worth it to spend the extra money. And yes, $700. I see tons of 2010 11inch Airs on Craigslist priced around $700. (I check a lot) :P
Yumunum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2011, 10:24 PM   #6
wordoflife
macrumors 604
 
wordoflife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Well I heard revision A MacBooks are just a mess in general.
wordoflife is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2011, 09:23 AM   #7
Scepticalscribe
Contributor
 
Scepticalscribe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kite flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbobmccoy View Post
It'll be more than 200, but yeah, get a different MacBook Air. Red flags on notebooks without disks or USB backup drives...
Amen to that. Spend more for a better laptop - why not a 2010 11" as advised on this thread? - and for peace of mind.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2011, 10:39 AM   #8
sumone
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Why does everyone on here always suggest people spend more money than they're willing to spend?

I say if you can swing a better computer go for it but obviously you had a fixed amount that you wanted to spend and unless this is going to be your only computer I suggest you think with your wallet. If you trust the guy selling it this could potentially be a good deal for the money if not walk away and wait for a new opportunity to come along.
sumone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2011, 11:29 AM   #9
Scepticalscribe
Contributor
 
Scepticalscribe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kite flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumone View Post
Why does everyone on here always suggest people spend more money than they're willing to spend?
Because some of those who have asked this question are not just:

1) "cheap", to use the US term, "tight" or "mean" to use UK English, or,

2) genuinely short of funds, or,

3) suggesting scenarios which scream "fraud", or "scam".

Anyone who seriously thinks that a computer without battery, install disks or box is a good buy irrespective of price unless you want spare parts - or, even, perhaps a legit buy - needs their head examined. They are either naive or blind. Or complicit. This is not a good buy, rather, it is throwing money away. That is why MR members suggest that if you are seriously contemplating spending the guts of $500 on something so self-evidently flawed, why not have peace of mind, a proper computer, and a legit transaction for a mere $ 200 more?
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2011, 11:51 AM   #10
sumone
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepticalscribe View Post
Because some of those who have asked this question are not just:

1) "cheap", to use the US term, "tight" or "mean" to use UK English, or,

2) genuinely short of funds, or,

3) suggesting scenarios which scream "fraud", or "scam".

Anyone who seriously thinks that a computer without battery, install disks or box is a good buy irrespective of price unless you want spare parts - or, even, perhaps a legit buy - needs their head examined. They are either naive or blind. Or complicit. This is not a good buy, rather, it is throwing money away. That is why MR members suggest that if you are seriously contemplating spending the guts of $500 on something so self-evidently flawed, why not have peace of mind, a proper computer, and a legit transaction for a mere $ 200 more?
But here's the thing, i'm not saying the OP won't appreciate the "spend more money advice" but he did not ask "Should I just spend more money?" So technically suggesting he spend more is not good advice if that's not what the person is asking. Surely he could spend more and get a better deal i.e. go to apple.com and buy one brand new but clearly that's not what the OP is going for. Based on the OP signature my impression is that the Air is not a necessity but would be a nice gadget to supplement the tech they already have and for this reason they did NOT want to spend full price. Of course at the end of the day its ultimately the OP choice but imo if you're going to be a helpful MR member stick to offering advice to the actual question.
sumone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2011, 02:56 PM   #11
Scepticalscribe
Contributor
 
Scepticalscribe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kite flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumone View Post
But here's the thing, i'm not saying the OP won't appreciate the "spend more money advice" but he did not ask "Should I just spend more money?" So technically suggesting he spend more is not good advice if that's not what the person is asking. Surely he could spend more and get a better deal i.e. go to apple.com and buy one brand new but clearly that's not what the OP is going for. Based on the OP signature my impression is that the Air is not a necessity but would be a nice gadget to supplement the tech they already have and for this reason they did NOT want to spend full price. Of course at the end of the day its ultimately the OP choice but imo if you're going to be a helpful MR member stick to offering advice to the actual question.
Well then, my answer to the actual question is no, it is not worth it.

However, rather than simply and solely giving a blunt and flat negative, I find it is usually better to try and offer, possibly better, alternatives. Hence, my subsequent remarks. Anyway, in my earlier post, I quoted tbobmccoy whose post argued that this is a 'red flag" situation. I agree. It smells extremely fishy to me, and my advice to be to steer well away from this offer.

Cheers
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2011, 03:58 PM   #12
gmans46
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
wait a week for the new mbas to go on sale not only will there be an influx of people selling there old ones, but the price of the old ones will go down.
__________________
Black iPhone 5 16GB,, 2011 15" 2.2GHz MBP, 8 GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 750GB 5400 Data Doubler, Apple TV 2nd Gen
gmans46 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is AppleCare REALLY worth it for the MacBook Air? Sounds Good MacBook Air 140 Sep 6, 2014 09:45 PM
2012 MacBook Air - worth it? drb5637 Buying Tips and Advice 1 Jun 10, 2013 12:19 PM
is this macbook air worth it? bsurb MacBook Air 14 Oct 1, 2012 05:47 PM
Used Macbook Air - Worth it? JasonR MacBook Air 13 Jun 29, 2012 07:26 PM
How much is my MacBook Air worth? ufgatorbait Buying Tips and Advice 4 Jun 1, 2012 04:56 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:37 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC