Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Jul 9, 2011, 09:20 PM   #1
boston44
macrumors 6502

MacBook Air- Worth it?

I've got the chance to buy a MacBook Air (first generation) with charger, but no install discs or box. Just the comp and charger. The problem is, it needs a new battery for $129 from Apple. I thought you could just replace these without Apple's help, considering it's the first gen? Anyways, he wants $350. Anyone think it's worth it? Thanks
Old Jul 9, 2011, 09:21 PM   #2
Yumunum
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston44 View Post
I've got the chance to buy a MacBook Air (first generation) with charger, but no install discs or box. Just the comp and charger. The problem is, it needs a new battery for $129 from Apple. I thought you could just replace these without Apple's help, considering it's the first gen? Anyways, he wants $350. Anyone think it's worth it? Thanks
I wouldn't do it... Go on Craigslist, save $200 more dollars, and buy a 2010 MBA
Yumunum is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2011, 09:25 PM   #3
boston44
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumunum View Post
I wouldn't do it... Go on Craigslist, save $200 more dollars, and buy a 2010 MBA
I could buy a newer, better one at the moment. But I'm cheap I only want to do it if it's truly a good deal, and not worth it for me to spend more to get a better machine, but after $129 it'll be $480 without install discs. Can a 2010 be had for $700 on clist?
Old Jul 9, 2011, 09:28 PM   #4
tbobmccoy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to tbobmccoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumunum View Post
It'll be more than 200, but yeah, get a different MacBook Air. Red flags on notebooks without disks or USB backup drives...
Old Jul 9, 2011, 09:46 PM   #5
Yumunum
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston44 View Post
I could buy a newer, better one at the moment. But I'm cheap I only want to do it if it's truly a good deal, and not worth it for me to spend more to get a better machine, but after $129 it'll be $480 without install discs. Can a 2010 be had for $700 on clist?
It's SO worth it to spend the extra money. And yes, $700. I see tons of 2010 11inch Airs on Craigslist priced around $700. (I check a lot) :P
Yumunum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2011, 10:24 PM   #6
wordoflife
macrumors 604

Well I heard revision A MacBooks are just a mess in general.
wordoflife is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2011, 09:23 AM   #7
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbobmccoy View Post
It'll be more than 200, but yeah, get a different MacBook Air. Red flags on notebooks without disks or USB backup drives...
Amen to that. Spend more for a better laptop - why not a 2010 11" as advised on this thread? - and for peace of mind.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2011, 10:39 AM   #8
sumone
macrumors regular

Why does everyone on here always suggest people spend more money than they're willing to spend?

I say if you can swing a better computer go for it but obviously you had a fixed amount that you wanted to spend and unless this is going to be your only computer I suggest you think with your wallet. If you trust the guy selling it this could potentially be a good deal for the money if not walk away and wait for a new opportunity to come along.
sumone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2011, 11:29 AM   #9
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumone View Post
Why does everyone on here always suggest people spend more money than they're willing to spend?
Because some of those who have asked this question are not just:

1) "cheap", to use the US term, "tight" or "mean" to use UK English, or,

2) genuinely short of funds, or,

3) suggesting scenarios which scream "fraud", or "scam".

Anyone who seriously thinks that a computer without battery, install disks or box is a good buy irrespective of price unless you want spare parts - or, even, perhaps a legit buy - needs their head examined. They are either naive or blind. Or complicit. This is not a good buy, rather, it is throwing money away. That is why MR members suggest that if you are seriously contemplating spending the guts of $500 on something so self-evidently flawed, why not have peace of mind, a proper computer, and a legit transaction for a mere $ 200 more?
Old Jul 10, 2011, 11:51 AM   #10
sumone
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepticalscribe View Post
Because some of those who have asked this question are not just:

1) "cheap", to use the US term, "tight" or "mean" to use UK English, or,

2) genuinely short of funds, or,

3) suggesting scenarios which scream "fraud", or "scam".

Anyone who seriously thinks that a computer without battery, install disks or box is a good buy irrespective of price unless you want spare parts - or, even, perhaps a legit buy - needs their head examined. They are either naive or blind. Or complicit. This is not a good buy, rather, it is throwing money away. That is why MR members suggest that if you are seriously contemplating spending the guts of $500 on something so self-evidently flawed, why not have peace of mind, a proper computer, and a legit transaction for a mere $ 200 more?
But here's the thing, i'm not saying the OP won't appreciate the "spend more money advice" but he did not ask "Should I just spend more money?" So technically suggesting he spend more is not good advice if that's not what the person is asking. Surely he could spend more and get a better deal i.e. go to apple.com and buy one brand new but clearly that's not what the OP is going for. Based on the OP signature my impression is that the Air is not a necessity but would be a nice gadget to supplement the tech they already have and for this reason they did NOT want to spend full price. Of course at the end of the day its ultimately the OP choice but imo if you're going to be a helpful MR member stick to offering advice to the actual question.
sumone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2011, 02:56 PM   #11
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumone View Post
But here's the thing, i'm not saying the OP won't appreciate the "spend more money advice" but he did not ask "Should I just spend more money?" So technically suggesting he spend more is not good advice if that's not what the person is asking. Surely he could spend more and get a better deal i.e. go to apple.com and buy one brand new but clearly that's not what the OP is going for. Based on the OP signature my impression is that the Air is not a necessity but would be a nice gadget to supplement the tech they already have and for this reason they did NOT want to spend full price. Of course at the end of the day its ultimately the OP choice but imo if you're going to be a helpful MR member stick to offering advice to the actual question.
Well then, my answer to the actual question is no, it is not worth it.

However, rather than simply and solely giving a blunt and flat negative, I find it is usually better to try and offer, possibly better, alternatives. Hence, my subsequent remarks. Anyway, in my earlier post, I quoted tbobmccoy whose post argued that this is a 'red flag" situation. I agree. It smells extremely fishy to me, and my advice to be to steer well away from this offer.

Cheers
Old Jul 10, 2011, 03:58 PM   #12
gmans46
macrumors regular

wait a week for the new mbas to go on sale not only will there be an influx of people selling there old ones, but the price of the old ones will go down.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice