Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jul 11, 2011, 07:17 AM   #1
jhatter
macrumors newbie

What's the best way to move all my stuff from one mac to another

Hi,

I have a PowerBook G4 which has all my work/music/pictures/email onit. I have just bought a MacBook Pro and want to transfer everything over to this so that it is my primary work station. The PB will become obsolete once this is done.

In addition, I have everything backed up by Time Machine to an external hard drive.

So what's the best way to move all my stuff please?

Thanks in anticipation of your replies!
jhatter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2011, 07:26 AM   #2
Daffodil
macrumors 6502

Use your time machine backup with Migration Assistant (in Applications/Utilities) - this is easily the most hassle-free way.

See here for more details: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4413
Daffodil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2011, 09:05 AM   #3
jackhdev
macrumors 6502

It's best to use Migration Assistant. However, Migration Assistant wants you to move everything over FireWire 800, and I'm not sure if the Power Book has this port. If not, just back up your Power Book to your Time Capsule on more time to make sure that all of the information is up to date, and then restore your new MacBook Pro from that backup and everything will be transferred wirelessly or over Ethernet (your choice).
jackhdev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2011, 07:08 AM   #4
jhatter
macrumors newbie

Thanks for your replies - I'll do one more back up with Time machine and give it a go!
jhatter is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help