Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wlow3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
My 2009 iMac's internal mic doesn't seem to work anymore. I don't hear it through the speakers and applications that utilize it, like Photo Booth, no longer capture sound. When I move the internal mic slider in system preferences, occasionally the blue-colored level indicator lights up, but it seem haphazzard and not in relation to ambient noise.

Should Hardware Test identify a broken mic, because I ran it and it reported that nothing was wrong with my system (hardware-wise). I'm trying to discern whether this is more likely a hardware or a software issue. The last time I used it is before I took it up to an Apple store to have a dead video card replaced and I'm wondering whether it could be a disconnected wire, etc. from that. Would Hardware test know? Any other suggestions for this problem? Thanks.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Yeah they probably left the wire disconnected by accident. I doubt the Apple Hardware Test would recognize a defective microphone.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
In my experience, the Apple Hardware Test is not good for much of anything. It might tell you if you have a bad RAM stick, but I wouldn't count on it checking the onboard microphone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.