Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:33 AM   #1
tardman91
macrumors 6502a

Aluminum case that DOESN'T affect reception?

I tried searching, but couldn't find any straight answers. I'm really digging the aluminum cases that screw in around for the iPhone 4, but I was wondering if there were any that DON'T interfere with the signal. And maybe that don't cost $150.
I have a Verizon iPhone too, if that makes a difference with the buttons. I see some that have the open cut out for the buttons, and others that don't.
tardman91 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:36 AM   #2
bighabeeb
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by tardman91 View Post
I tried searching, but couldn't find any straight answers. I'm really digging the aluminum cases that screw in around for the iPhone 4, but I was wondering if there were any that DON'T interfere with the signal. And maybe that don't cost $150.
I have a Verizon iPhone too, if that makes a difference with the buttons. I see some that have the open cut out for the buttons, and others that don't.
In terms of all aluminum, I've yet to find one that didn't have at least some impact. It all really depends on where you are and what the signal is like by you. I know by me I range greatly from 1 - 5 bars on a naked phone, so even the slightest impact turned my iphone into a paperweight.

I've been using the atomic hybrid case for several months now (atomiciphonecase.com) - its not strictly aluminum however - one side is aluminum, the rest is a composite material that does have a plastic-like feel to it (its actually delrin/graphite) - but it does give the look you're going for with no impact to reception at all. They also have a diamondback case which is full coverage, but right now they only have an all aluminum version and in terms of signal strength, it frags it pretty badly.

From what I understand, e13ctron is also coming out with a hybrid case in the near future: I had one of their all aluminum cases and there was only slight impact on reception (others have reported larger impact I believe).
And some fugly homebrew contraption
bighabeeb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:39 AM   #3
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

I have an Atomic hybrid. It's not totally aluminum...but an aluminum/delrin composite. I've had it on my phone since late November and I've had no reception issues.

http://www.atomiciphonecase.com/

These are about $80 before tax and shipping.
Moyank24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:48 AM   #4
Centient
macrumors 6502

Anyone know of aluminum cases similar in style to the EXOvault series, but that don't cause reception issues?

I love the looks of those cases, and the craftmanship is there, but the reception issues make them impractical for me.
Centient is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2011, 12:04 PM   #5
Sdevante
macrumors 6502

I have an E13ctron hybrid and I love it!!!! Still get fair reception in a very low signal area, so its all good.
Sdevante is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories