Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old Jul 11, 2011, 12:34 PM   #1
rev.b
macrumors regular

Coolbook for Lion?

Anyone knows if Coolbook will be updated for Lion?

I emailed the developer 4 days ago, but I still didn't get a reply.

It's essential for my rev a Macbook air to work properly...
rev.b is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2011, 12:07 AM   #2
ssn637
macrumors 6502

The developer assured me per mail last week that an update to V3.0 will be available ($5 fee for current users).
ssn637 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2011, 12:41 AM   #3
Junkie2
macrumors member

I thought about buying this program until I read the reviews. Apparently the TOS are insane as the program is is registered to only 1 computer and you have to pay for updates.

As one user put it:
Quote:
This makes Adobe and their much criticized activation terms of their Creative Suite look like Santa Claus.
Junkie2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2011, 06:14 AM   #4
ssn637
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie2 View Post
I thought about buying this program until I read the reviews. Apparently the TOS are insane as the program is is registered to only 1 computer and you have to pay for updates.

As one user put it:
I agree. A relaxation of the licensing fee would be welcome, such as a free upgrade for current users. Compared with the $30 price tag for Lion this is indeed a bit steep, but I've yet to find a comparable program or terminal command that reduces CPU voltages in Mac OS X.
ssn637 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2011, 06:51 AM   #5
rev.b
macrumors regular

Thank you for the replies.

Unfortunately, despite having a coolbook licence, I didn't get an answer from the developer.

Anyway, $5 isn't that much, and after all, it still the ONLY app I know that does what it does. So I guess without competition, he can ask whatever he wants...

I do love Lion, I'm running the GM on my 2 laptops (yes, I will buy it the moment it's available), and while my MBP '10 works just great with it, my MB air rev.a struggles a bit with the C2D 1.6Ghz/2 Gb RAM/4200 rpm hdd... Coolbook is essential to me, as you know, the rev a had serious heat issues, it starts throttling and disabling one core with anything more intensive.

Any release date?
Old Jul 12, 2011, 10:56 AM   #6
spencers
macrumors 68020

Probably after Lion is released...
spencers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2011, 12:40 PM   #7
Mac32
macrumors 6502a

Well, expensive or not, CoolBookController is a brilliant program I just cannot live without. Especially on the MBA, which gives better battery life *and* cooler CPU temps.

I really hope that the guy who makes CoolBookController can figure out how to undervolt the newer i5/i7 CPUs..

Last edited by Mac32; Jul 14, 2011 at 02:46 PM.
Mac32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 09:31 AM   #8
did
macrumors newbie

lion + MBA (core 2 duo) = kernel task and overheatting

help. need coolbook. can't use MBA even just safari with 5 tabs

when coolbook?

ps. no flash, no wmvare service
did is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 09:34 AM   #9
3bs
macrumors 603

What does coolbook do and how does it work?
3bs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 11:19 AM   #10
Psilocybin
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to Psilocybin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bs View Post
What does coolbook do and how does it work?
It under volts the processor to use less energy and run cooler
Psilocybin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2011, 09:01 AM   #11
rev.b
macrumors regular

Anyone got any update about this?

The only update on coolbook website is "CoolBook does not work with OS X 10.7 Lion. "

I gladly would pay more than $5 for the Lion update...
Old Aug 4, 2011, 03:34 PM   #12
fs454
macrumors 6502a

Got a response from the developer today:

Hi,

I'm still trying to find a way of making CoolBook for Lion, but I don't know yet if it will be possible.

/Magnus

I'm sure he would have mentioned the upcoming $5 upgrade if it were coming? Not really good news.
iPhone 6 Plus 128GB Space Grey
fs454 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 03:54 AM   #13
Marcin 2011
macrumors newbie

Talking

I, like many of you, have used Coolbook for a long time. I got my MacBook Air the first summer that it came out and have been using it since. I had core shutdown then kernel_task problems since the very beginning. I decided to upgrade to Lion a couple days ago for a couple reasons. First of all I'm a developer and I can see Apple making Xcode Lion only just like they did with Leopard when Snow Leopard came out. Being an iOS developer I need to prepare for this and get my machine running with Lion before I'm forced to use it. I also do OSX development so obviously I need to learn the new frameworks that came with Lion and make my applications support new Lion features.

So I upgraded to Lion and realized that Coolbook no longer works. My MacBook Air was back to kernel_task 150% CPU usage. I have an external monitor plugged in and I'm sure some of you know that makes the matter even worse. The GPU shares the heatsink with the CPU so increased graphic usage penalizes the CPU performance. I have tried everything in the past, including the thermal paste re-application. I had one of the Airs that had way too much thermal paste applied sloppily. I got it all off and applied high quality thermal paste in it's place (Arctic Silver 5). This fixes the issue for many people but unfortunately I was not one of them. If anyone is interested in trying this solution to get their Macbook Air a little cooler I'm including some pictures of my process below.

Before:

After Cleaning off Old Paste:

After Applying Arctic Silver (NOTE: If you have applied thermal paste before and you plan to do this to your Macbook Air keep in mind that you will have to use more paste than you are used to. The heatsink doesn't sit as close to the CPU/GPU as you've probably seen in other computers. It's better to use more paste and be sure that you are getting full contact on the heatsink than having a gap and your CPU overheating and shutting off).

OK, so to the matter at hand. I, like the other poster here, contacted the developer of Coolbook. He told me that a Lion version will be a $5 upgrade for current users and that he's not sure when it will be released. This was around a month ago and I had no choice but to upgrade to Lion. I decided that the only solution for me is to code a solution myself. My MacBook Air is just unusable when kernel_task starts taking over and Undervolting is the only thing that ever worked. So I have a solution that is working for my MacBook Air Revision A. I'm looking for some volunteers with MacBook Airs Revision B and Revision C. I don't have these devices so I'm unable to make sure that everything works correctly. If you want to volunteer to beta test you will get the solution for free and not have to wait for Coolbook to get done (if it ever does). I want to gauge interest in this so if you could post on here if you are interested I will let you know the next step. When you post make sure you include the Revision of your MacBook, the year it was purchased, your process information (Click the Apple, go to About This Mac, get the info next to "Processor"). If you have a MacBook Air Rev A and are interested then post also as I will probably need to test on a couple more. I'm really looking for Rev B and C though. After I get this ironed out I'll release it for everyone. Looking forward to hearing from you guys.

Last edited by Marcin 2011; Aug 5, 2011 at 03:58 AM. Reason: EDIT: For those of you wondering, yes I did clean the dust out of the fan before putting the heatsink back on ;)
Marcin 2011 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:55 PM   #14
poobear
macrumors 6502a

Coolbook is the only thing keeping me away from Lion. It just makes such a big difference in battery life. So I'm really interested I'm running the base model of 2010 Air, bought just when the 11" was released. It's 1.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.
poobear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 03:43 PM   #15
adamteale
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcin 2011 View Post
OK, so to the matter at hand. I, like the other poster here, contacted the developer of Coolbook. He told me that a Lion version will be a $5 upgrade for current users and that he's not sure when it will be released. This was around a month ago and I had no choice but to upgrade to Lion. I decided that the only solution for me is to code a solution myself. My MacBook Air is just unusable when kernel_task starts taking over and Undervolting is the only thing that ever worked. So I have a solution that is working for my MacBook Air Revision A. I'm looking for some volunteers with MacBook Airs Revision B and Revision C. I don't have these devices so I'm unable to make sure that everything works correctly. If you want to volunteer to beta test you will get the solution for free and not have to wait for Coolbook to get done (if it ever does). I want to gauge interest in this so if you could post on here if you are interested I will let you know the next step. When you post make sure you include the Revision of your MacBook, the year it was purchased, your process information (Click the Apple, go to About This Mac, get the info next to "Processor"). If you have a MacBook Air Rev A and are interested then post also as I will probably need to test on a couple more. I'm really looking for Rev B and C though. After I get this ironed out I'll release it for everyone. Looking forward to hearing from you guys.
Hi Marcin, I would like to volunteer to test out your solution for the MBA overheating issues.

Processor 2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
MBA Rev B - Model Identifier: MacBookAir2,1
Purchased July 2009 from what I remember.

Thanks!

Adam
adamteale is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 02:18 AM   #16
rev.b
macrumors regular

I would, but yesterday I installed Snow Leopard again on the MB Air...
Old Aug 6, 2011, 02:45 AM   #17
Rastapopoulos
macrumors newbie

I'd like to test it.

I don't have a MacBook Air however, I have a MacBook.

Model: MacBook 2.1 late 2006
Processor: 2.0 GHz core2duo
Purchased: April 2007

I'm running Lion, and it's making a lot more noise from the fans, now that coolbook isn't working anymore.

So let me know if I can help!
Rastapopoulos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 03:47 AM   #18
falcn
macrumors member

Hello Marcin.

I have Late 2010 13" 2.13Ghz Core2Duo Macbook Air with Lion.

This is the default volting for 2.13Ghz Air

I am former Coolbook user, and had my CPU undervolted to 0.9250V for all range of frequencies.

I'll be glad to help you with testing.
falcn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 05:59 PM   #19
puhsitch
macrumors newbie

Hi Marcin -- I'd love to help out if you're looking for any more Rev A tests. I have a 1.8 GHz / 2GB Rev A, purchased 9/2008.

It's great that you're taking such initiative on this!!
puhsitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 07:16 PM   #20
Didde
macrumors newbie

Thanks Marcin, great initiative!

I have an MBA 1.6 GHz / 2GB Rev B and I would appreciate if you let me test your program. Thanks
Didde is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2011, 01:47 AM   #21
ygolovach
macrumors newbie

Beta-testing

Hi Marcin.

I have MBA 1.86 / 2GB MacBookAir2,1 bought in late 2009. I'm not sure with revision.

Can you please add me to testing team?

Cheers,

Yaroslav.
ygolovach is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2011, 03:13 AM   #22
papageo
macrumors newbie

HI....
I have Macbook Air Late 2008(1.8GHZ,2GB RAM)
papageo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2011, 08:22 AM   #23
rev.b
macrumors regular

So, is it working?
Old Aug 8, 2011, 09:37 AM   #24
Roman2K~
macrumors 6502

Just found out about three open-source projects for controlling SpeedStepHaven't dug into nor tested any of those yet, but they seem like the way to go over paid, closed-source, unmaintained software.

There's also an interesting article about SpeedStep by Superhai (who forked xnu-speedstep at some point): Enhanced Intel Speedstep, The mystery about VID's, FID's, IDA, power, multipliers explained.

Last edited by Roman2K~; Aug 8, 2011 at 10:09 AM.
Roman2K~ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2011, 02:31 PM   #25
HousesP
macrumors newbie

White MacBook & MacMini Beta tester?

Hi Marcin,

I have a white early 2009 MacBook (not pro), MacBook 5,2. This has a 2GHz Core 2 Duo, Bus Speed 1.07GHz

Also a 2GHz Core 2 Duo MacMini 3,1 (again early 2009)

I use coolbook on them and greatly miss the functionality under Lion.

If you would like me to test, I'd be very willing. I'm holding off Lion upgrade on the mini until I get something to work. I will however understand if you wish to limit your support to just MBAs.

Cheers, Bruce
HousesP is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion