Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming

Old Jul 11, 2011, 12:34 PM   #1
kannn
macrumors newbie

CS193P Calculator Assignment 2

Hello,

I'm having difficulty with CS193P assignment 2 (foundation calculator), and I can't seem to find any info on it online. This is from the latest, fall 2010 course entitled "developing apps for iOS." If you've completed assignment 2 or are in the process of doing it, please post! I'll be trying to work through it in the next couple of days.

Also, are there other good places for discussing this course?
kannn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2011, 03:03 PM   #2
RonC
macrumors regular

Ok, I'll bite (since I always plug this course): what difficulty are you having? I won't solve your problem for you, nor will I share my solution, but I can coach you through your problem.

Last edited by RonC; Jul 11, 2011 at 03:14 PM. Reason: clarify
RonC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2011, 02:01 AM   #3
jnoxx
macrumors 65816

Like Ron said above me, what did you try, did you even start. etc.
Because saying that you have a calc assignment, but that's about it, won't help us far by helping you.
jnoxx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2011, 02:10 AM   #4
jiminaus
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnoxx View Post
Like Ron said above me, what did you try, did you even start. etc.
Because saying that you have a calc assignment, but that's about it, won't help us far by helping you.
If anyone interested, this course free online from Standard at http://www.stanford.edu/class/cs193p

I think I've just found the thing that will get me to bridge my Cocoa knowledge to Cocoa Touch.
jiminaus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2011, 01:17 PM   #5
kannn
macrumors newbie

I just started learning programming, so when I started this assignment, it seemed overwhelming. Mostly, I was looking for a place where it had been discussed already, to help me wrap my head around it.

I've worked through some of it now, but it's still confusing. Here is a specific:

Xcode keeps yelling at me about using instance variables in class methods. I'm trying to enumerate through an expression to create an NSSet.
I've overridden the expression getter to return a NSArray which keeps track of pressed buttons. It still builds fine, but what am I doing wrong here?

Thanks for your help!
Old Jul 12, 2011, 02:02 PM   #6
kannn
macrumors newbie

hmm.. I did something wrong in getting the internalExpression NSArray using it to set expression as it comes back as null. Again, I just started learning this. This is what I have:

Code:
-(id)expression{
return internalExpression;
}

Last edited by dejo; Jul 12, 2011 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Please use [code] tags.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 08:49 PM   #7
jiminaus
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannn View Post
hmm.. I did something wrong in getting the internalExpression NSArray using it to set expression as it comes back as null. Again, I just started learning this. This is what I have:

Code:
-(id)expression{
return internalExpression;
}
Where do you initialize internalExpression?

BTW The prerequisites stated in lecture 1 include previous object-oriented programming. Do you satisfy that prerequisite?

Last edited by jiminaus; Jul 12, 2011 at 09:00 PM.
jiminaus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2011, 08:53 PM   #8
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminaus View Post
If anyone interested, this course free online from Standard at http://www.stanford.edu/class/cs193p

I think I've just found the thing that will get me to bridge my Cocoa knowledge to Cocoa Touch.
Also available via iTunes U. Link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/itunes-u/...hd/id395605774

EDIT: kannn I'd like to suggest that you take a look at the following two links:

http://whathaveyoutried.com and http://www.mikeash.com/getting_answers.html

When asking a question on a forum like this it helps to be as complete as you possibly can. This generally means providing some context for the code snippets you may post. Preferably, if those code snippets are compilable it really helps others see what you are up to and help you better.

B

Last edited by balamw; Jul 12, 2011 at 08:58 PM.
balamw is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming