Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

documentarian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2011
MBP OS 10.6.8/iMovie 9.0.2

Can't import Hi-8 footage from a Sony DCR TRV350. Is there a patch or work around for this problem or how can I install and earlier version of I-Movie (like iMovie 5) that will see the camera and import the footage? Anyone?

When I do try to install I get the message that it can't be installed with the additional message "An eligible iMovie HD application could not be found in /Applications".

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Hi-8? Hi-8 is an analog 8mm format (with a provision of digital audio). iMovie supports only digital formats. To the best of my knowledge, no version of iMovie has ever supported an analog format.

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
Hi8 is analog. There was a Digital8 though. These cams play the analog format and even digitize the footage for capturing via Firewire.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Yes, my mistake. The Sony TRV-350 is Digital8. But it can use Hi8 tapes.
It is not 2001 anymore. It is my understanding that iMovie dropped Digital 8 support several versions ago. There are several Google hits that claim to show you how to edit Digital 8 video without iMovie or Windows Movie Maker. I suggest that check them out to see if they are useful.

documentarian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2011
Hi-8 Problem needs earlier version of iMovie

Thanks Mister Me et.al. Yes I know it's not 2001 anymore. The Sony Hi-8 tape is digital tape format and can therefore be captured as digital video. The regular 8MM tape was plain old analog. This is archival footage that I need for a project and I don't have access to an earlier version of iMovie with a Mac platform. The earlier versions of iMovie (iMovie 5.0.2 and prior) do recognize this camera and do in fact capture the Hi-8 footage just like regular modern digital video. Since no one seems to know of a patch or work around for iMovie 9, can anyone tell me how to download an earlier version of iMovie to my new MBP without the message telling me that it can't be installed on this computer. Perhaps I'm trying to load an update and not the actual full application. Sorry if this sounds pathetic, but I'm actually pretty good with the actual applications, it's just the operating system/installation magic that I have a lot of know-how gaps. Where do I go for a tried and true full version iMovie 5 or earlier? :confused:.

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
ebay. But then you'll have to keep an SL partition once Lion rolls out.

Did you try to borrow a miniDV with video through? You should be able to capture it via the A/V out from your old Sony. That's how I get VHS into Final Cut. iMovie should be able to do the same, as it gets a DV signal from the Firewire.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
... The earlier versions of iMovie (iMovie 5.0.2 and prior) do recognize this camera and do in fact capture the Hi-8 footage just like regular modern digital video. Since no one seems to know of a patch or work around for iMovie 9, can anyone tell me how to download an earlier version of iMovie to my new MBP without the message telling me that it can't be installed on this computer. ...
iMove HD 5 supported Digital 8, but iMovie 9 does not. There are no patches to add unsupported iMovie HD 5 functionality to iMovie 9. iMovie HD 5 is part of the iLife '05 suite. You would may also find it on a 2005 era Mac whose owner does not believe in updating his software.

Shezzer

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2011
Better late than never...

This is probably too late but having just spent frustrating hours trying to import film footage from my panasonic into imovie... without success:mad:
I have just hit on a solution by accident. I didn't use "import" in iMovie. With iMovie open I put my camera in vcr mode and pressed play on the camera; the import window flashed up instantly :eek: Oh well, ours is not to reason why...

Argonese

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2013
I read through this thread. I have a Sony TRV-530 that Imovie 11 will not recognize. FaceTime sees it but not Imovie. I tried pressing play with Imovie open but no deal. There must be some way to import old home movies into the Imac? Is there some other type of software with a Mac version that will suffice? I checked with Premiere Elements but it does not show support?

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
I'm most surprise to read lot of you are having trouble. I have the Sony Camcorder and use old Hi tapes without problems.
All old models come with DV cables. I use a Firewire adapter into my Mac Pro and Snow Leopard software and iMovie 11. I have no problem.
Also go on Sony web page and check their download configuration.

Argonese

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2013
After being a PC person my entire life, I recently switched to Mac when my PC died - again. So I am an admitted mac rookie. I have the new Imac so I have a firewire connected to my Camcorder and then a Thunderbolt adapter connecting the firewire to the Imac. I know the Imac recognizes the camcorder because I can access it in Facetime. Imovie, when I try to import via camera, only shows the facecam built into the Imac. It is entirely possible that I am missing a step?

palmharbor

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2007
iMovie6

I have a mini dv jvc video camera...digital...I used iM6 and it imports just fine and unlike newer versions of iM, 6 is intuitive and works great. :eek:

montgomeryr

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2012
imovie import issues

I have a Sony digital 8 DCR-TRV210 and I've used it lots to tranfer standard 8, hi-8 and digital 8 into, iMovie 6HD, imovie 9 and even Quicktime pro.
Hopefully your fire wire connection is working. If you try Qicktime Pro, be sure to set the camera in the preferences. It should detect your model.
If you want to buy iMovie 6 HD, it's available for about $10 from *************.com. I checked and they are still selling the actual Apple program. It's great to be able to use these Sony cameras when so many folks are still trying to get their old 8mm tapes digitized for editing.company is *************.

Argonese

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2013
Montgomery,
can you IM the info on IM6? Apparently it has been blanked by an administrator.

montgomeryr

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2012
blocked name

I'm not sure why they blocked it. They seem quite legit. How about this. The site is the name of the winged horse and what you call someone like Einstein or having a very high IQ. Both words combined as one with the usual internet com ending.

Argonese

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2013
I packed everything into the car and headed to the local Genius Bar. There, everything worked fine. The associate speculated that either the issue is that I opened Imovie before plugging in the camcorder or unplugging the Imac for the trip over reset the "system". Either way, I am importing now.

One question, I do not have any sound during the import - is that normal or do I now have a new problem to deal with?

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
Try plugging in a headset to your camcorder and you should hear the sound. If i remember correct with iMovie sound is not heard during import?.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.