Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's forthcoming iOS 5 contains code that, if activated, would allow users to connect a Bluetooth wireless keyboard to the second-generation Apple TV. The new Apple TV contains a combination Wi-Fi/Bluetooth chip, but the Bluetooth functionality is not enabled in its present state.

apple_tv_wifi_bluetooth_chip.jpg
Broadcom Wi-Fi/Bluetooth chip in second-generation Apple TV (Source: iFixit)
As noted by 9 to 5 Mac, the Apple TV iOS 5 beta contains Bluetooth activation strings such as:
- "Your Apple TV is paired with this %@"
- "The pairing attempt was unsuccessful. Make sure your device is in range of this Apple TV, turn on and 'discoverable.' When ready, click Continue to try again."
The ability to pair a Bluetooth keyboard with the Apple TV would obviously make for significantly easier text entry, simplifying such tasks as initial setup with iTunes Store accounts and Wi-Fi network passwords as well as day-to-day content searching.

But activation of the Apple TV's Bluetooth capabilities could also open the door to a host of other developments on the platform if Apple were to allow third-party apps on the Apple TV. Such possibilities include the ability to use other Bluetooth peripherals such as gaming controllers.

With the Apple TV running on the same iOS code base as the company's mobile devices, app development for the Apple TV should be a relatively straightforward process once design considerations for the lack of direct touch input and other differences in usage are accounted for. Apple CEO Steve Jobs even acknowledged at the time of the Apple TV's debut last September that the company could launch an App Store for the device when the time is right.

Article Link: iOS 5 to Unlock Bluetooth Capabilities of Apple TV?

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
would be nice if apple tv had a safari browser built in. would go nice with a wireless keyboard.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I've been keeping my Apple TV updated with each new beta, and there's something weird about this one (iOS 5 Beta 1 and 2). It makes me think they're going to change the interface and the current UI/app is just a temporary placeholder until September.

Photostream feels tacked on.

handygeek

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2007
And come to think of it, why should we not be able to load any number of iOS apps on the thing, including a browser?

j2-core

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2011
So if you bought a new Apple TV it has bluetooth but you can't use it until Apple says so? That's innovation at it's best.

OmegaRed1723

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
The Waste
And come to think of it, why should we not be able to load any number of iOS apps on the thing, including a browser?

There's only 8GB of storage on the current :apple:TV, which, among other things, is used for buffering downloads of iTunes rentals. This, and the prospective introduction of 1080p content coming to iTunes leads me to believe that we will see an :apple:TV3 launch in the near future with at least 16GB of storage.

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/07/apple_tv_wifi_bluetooth_chip.jpg]Image​

Broadcom Wi-Fi/Bluetooth chip in second-generation Apple TV (Source:

.... Apple CEO Steve Jobs even [url="https://www.macrumors.com/2010/09/17/jobs-says-apple-tv-app-store-could-launch-when-the-time-is-right/"]acknowledged
at the time of the Apple TV's debut last September that the company could launch an App Store for the device when the time is right.

Article Link: iOS 5 to Unlock Bluetooth Capabilities of Apple TV?

When the times is right? The time is right NOW as far as I'm concerned!

whoami

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
There's only 8GB of storage on the current :apple:TV, which, among other things, is used for buffering downloads of iTunes rentals. This, and the prospective introduction of 1080p content coming to iTunes leads me to believe that we will see an :apple:TV3 launch in the near future with at least 16GB of storage.

they "could" use iCloud for apps on demand.. ;)

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Magic Trackpad for Safari and simple games like Angry Birds would be even better.

I love playing my iPad 2 on the aTV with iOS 5. I think Apple should release a remote app for games on aTV. That way if you only owned the aTV version, you could still play from your iOS device. It could provide an SDK for devs that could load in the custom UI for controls and provide other feedback such as inventory or in-game map. This has three benefits: eliminate some of the lag of streaming from one device to another (controls can sometimes lag when streaming the whole game over video), provide better battery life for the controller device, and simplify all the separate remote apps into one, provided by Apple, with an SDK.

nate13

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2004
Fargo, ND
a $100 fully functional iOS/ basic computer on an existing piece of hardware? With awesome connectivity to the most popular PC music player/ smartphone/ tablet/ iTouch, access to a wide range of existing application code? FOR $100 DOLLARS!?

I'm sorry, but that would be absolutely genius- we truly are in the Post PC era.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Connect peripherals without annoying dongles and munch on your battery life like no other :)

Yeah I guess the game controls might be interesting, especially for some developers who can't figure out how to do good touch control.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.