Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 23, 2013, 08:32 PM   #1
steiney
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Where Do You Get Your News?

Hello all,

I'm 27 and have recently decided I need to start paying attention to the news, no matter how depressing it can be, because I work in real estate and current events, etc. are always coming up, and I'm always like "Oh, I have no idea what you're talking about.", and then I look like an uneducated idiot.

So, I would like to know where people get their news, because I am wondering what the best option is. I live in Florida, but obviously want world news as well. I am aware of the major American and British news agencies, but I don't know if there are alternative news sources that might be better.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

steiney
steiney is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 08:37 PM   #2
Comeagain?
macrumors 68020
 
Comeagain?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Trending topics on Twitter.
__________________
Questions? MRoogle it!
Current iOS 8 "All the little things!"
MR Scavenger Score: 1
Comeagain? is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 08:39 PM   #3
steiney
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
I completely refuse to go on Twitter!
steiney is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 08:42 PM   #4
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God
 
Shrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New England, USA
The Boston Globe
NPR
WBUR (local public radio station)
BBC world news
Local TV news for weather, traffic, breaking news,and Red Sox highlights (assuming there are any!).
__________________
Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
Shrink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 08:42 PM   #5
Ann P
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: California
My homepage is set to Google News and I also use the app 'Circa', which feeds the top news - straight to the point.
Ann P is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 08:44 PM   #6
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Peace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
We are weird in Portland.

Every morning a guy comes to the door and sings me the daily headlines.
Quite nice to go with my morning expresso !!

Peace is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 08:46 PM   #7
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God
 
Shrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
We are weird in Portland.

Every morning a guy comes to the door and sings me the daily headlines.
Quite nice to go with my morning expresso !!

If it's a single shot...not much news!!
__________________
Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
Shrink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 08:46 PM   #8
steiney
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
The Boston Globe
NPR
WBUR (local public radio station)
BBC world news
Local TV news for weather, traffic, and Red Sox highlights (assuming there are any!).
Thanks. I like NPR for the stories and talk while riding in the car but had never considered them for news. I guess I didn't know they offered news. I like BBC because my impression of them is that they are very impartial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann P View Post
I use the app 'Circa', which feeds the top news and is straight to the point.
Interesting. I'll check it out.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
We are weird in Portland.

Every morning a guy comes to the door and sings me the daily headlines.
Quite nice to go with my morning expresso !!

Hah! I should just move to Portland then.
steiney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 08:52 PM   #9
SandboxGeneral
Moderator
 
SandboxGeneral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The New World
I get news several different ways.

I use Flipboard (iOS app) to aggregate many different types of news from many different outlets.

I also scour websites like CNN, Fox News, Drudge Report, Google News, ABC News, Debkafile, US Naval Institute, Marine Corps Times and Navy Times. Also NPR, BBC World News and Michigan Radio (iOS)

I also follow some tech news sites on Twitter.
__________________
"Gee, I've been on this diet only ten minutes and I've already lost something, my sense of humor."
SandboxGeneral is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 08:54 PM   #10
steiney
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
I get news several different ways.

I use Flipboard (iOS app) to aggregate many different types of news from many different outlets.

I also scour websites like, CNN, Fox News, Drudge Report, Google News, ABC News, Debkafile, US Naval Institute, Marine Corps Times and Navy Times. Also NPR, BBC World News and Michigan Radio (iOS)

I also follow some tech news sites on Twitter.
I'll have to check out Flipboard. I'm not so crazy about the big American outlets. They all seem like they have their own slant on things. What American outlet is the least biased, in your opinion?
steiney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 08:59 PM   #11
SandboxGeneral
Moderator
 
SandboxGeneral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The New World
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiney View Post
What American outlet is the least biased, in your opinion?
haha, none of them. I view all news very skeptically and assume that everything I read or hear is biased one way or another. I don't feel that I've found any news agency to be truly objective in their journalism. I almost always find the writers opinions in a story that should really be more factual based only.

But I would say check out some aggregators like Drudge Report, Google News, Flipboard and whatnot.

Well, I take that back in part. Some of the military websites I view stick to facts and leave opinions out much of the time. But they're only reporting military stuff and not regular news.
__________________
"Gee, I've been on this diet only ten minutes and I've already lost something, my sense of humor."
SandboxGeneral is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 09:02 PM   #12
steiney
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
haha, none of them. I view all news very skeptically and assume that everything I read or hear is biased one way or another. I don't feel that I've found any news agency to be truly objective in their journalism. I almost always find the writers opinions in a story that should really be more factual based only.

But I would say check out some aggregators like Drudge Report, Google News, Flipboard and whatnot.
Interesting. I strongly feel that Fox News is very right wing. I definitely am skeptical of most everything I hear, but for something like news, I really want a source I can it from with feeling like I have to listen with a filter. I really feel like BBC is pretty unbiased, but what do I know?
steiney is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 09:02 PM   #13
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God
 
Shrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
haha, none of them. I view all news very skeptically and assume that everything I read or hear is biased one way or another. I don't feel that I've found any news agency to be truly objective in their journalism. I almost always find the writers opinions in a story that should really be more factual based only.

But I would say check out some aggregators like Drudge Report, Google News, Flipboard and whatnot.
Agree...they all lean one way or another.

I think the only thing you can do, as SBG suggested, is to approach with a bit of skepticism and go to as many different news sources as you can stand.
__________________
Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
Shrink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 09:06 PM   #14
steiney
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
Agree...they all lean one way or another.

I think the only thing you can do, as SBG suggested, is to approach with a bit of skepticism and go to as many different news sources as you can stand.
Haha, yeah I'm really looking for a solution that is an easy, one stop type of thing for all the news. I think I'll check out the news aggregators.
steiney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 09:06 PM   #15
SandboxGeneral
Moderator
 
SandboxGeneral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The New World
To add, I rarely watch news on television. I get 99% of my news via the Internet because I usually cannot stand listening to the anchors report the news anymore. Not only do they let their bias show through, their tone and inflections also drive me crazy even when they're trying to hide their bias. But body language always gives them away.

Don't get me wrong, each of us is bias one way or another on issues, but I think (I thought) the news people were supposed to be objective, not subjective when reporting a story.
__________________
"Gee, I've been on this diet only ten minutes and I've already lost something, my sense of humor."
SandboxGeneral is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 09:07 PM   #16
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Peace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
Agree...they all lean one way or another.

I think the only thing you can do, as SBG suggested, is to approach with a bit of skepticism and go to as many different news sources as you can stand.
That's actually where I get my news. We really done have singing news guys. Although that would be cool.

Mostly NBC and huff report. I like huffington because they are actually a news aggregator and don't have real reporters.

Television news is a place also.
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 09:08 PM   #17
steiney
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
To add, I rarely watch news on television. I get 99% of my news via the Internet because I usually cannot stand listening to the anchors report the news anymore. Not only do they let their bias show through, their tone and inflections also drive me crazy even when they're trying to hide their bias. But body language always gives them away.

Don't get me wrong, each of us is bias one way or another on issues, but I think (I thought) the news people were supposed to be objective, not subjective.
I'm with you on the no TV news thing. I haven't had a TV subscription for 7 years now. I love thinking about the money I've saved.
steiney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 09:13 PM   #18
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God
 
Shrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
To add, I rarely watch news on television. I get 99% of my news via the Internet because I usually cannot stand listening to the anchors report the news anymore. Not only do they let their bias show through, their tone and inflections also drive me crazy even when they're trying to hide their bias. But body language always gives them away.

Don't get me wrong, each of us is bias one way or another on issues, but I think (I thought) the news people were supposed to be objective, not subjective when reporting a story.
That approach (not always successful, but closer) went out with Ed Morrow, Walter Cronkite, and Huntley/Brinkely Report.
__________________
Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
Shrink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 09:18 PM   #19
SandboxGeneral
Moderator
 
SandboxGeneral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The New World
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
That approach (not always successful, but closer) went out with Ed Morrow, Walter Cronkite, and Huntley/Brinkely Report.
They were a little before my time.

A little tip on reading news on the Internet that I read once somewhere, is that I normally only read the beginning and ending of an article. Many times, the middle of an article is superfluous filler garbage. If after I do that and am looking for more, will I skim the rest of it. I try to speed read articles looking for important key words that stick out to me in the context of the headline.
__________________
"Gee, I've been on this diet only ten minutes and I've already lost something, my sense of humor."
SandboxGeneral is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 09:22 PM   #20
steiney
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
They were a little before my time.

A little tip on reading news on the Internet that I read once somewhere, is that I normally only read the beginning and ending of an article. Many times, the middle of an article is superfluous filler garbage. If after I do that and am looking for more, will I skim the rest of it. I try to speed read articles looking for important key words that stick out to me in the context of the headline.
Yes, well before my time too. I decide before I'm finished with the first sentence of each paragraph whether or not I'm going to complete that paragraph or not. I learned that from college, having to read stupid amounts of text and being a slow reader.
steiney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 09:36 PM   #21
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Peace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
Brian Williams is probably the only television newsman left in the same vein as Cronkite or Huntley Brinkley.
Peace is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 09:38 PM   #22
SandboxGeneral
Moderator
 
SandboxGeneral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The New World
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Brian Williams is probably the only television newsman left in the same vein as Cronkite or Huntley Brinkley.
I'd agree with that. Brian is a good anchor and Tom Brokaw was decent until his last few years IMO.
__________________
"Gee, I've been on this diet only ten minutes and I've already lost something, my sense of humor."
SandboxGeneral is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 09:39 PM   #23
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God
 
Shrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
They were a little before my time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiney View Post
Yes, well before my time too.
Right!

Thanks so much for rubbing it in, you guys!!
__________________
Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
Shrink is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 09:55 PM   #24
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Peace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
Right!

Thanks so much for rubbing it in, you guys!!
Don't feel too bad. I remember watching them on a small black and white TV because there wasn't color yet.

And I watched Dan Rather doing weather reports from Hurricane Carla when we lived in Texas.
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 06:35 AM   #25
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God
 
Shrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Don't feel too bad. I remember watching them on a small black and white TV because there wasn't color yet.

And I watched Dan Rather doing weather reports from Hurricane Carla when we lived in Texas.
OOH...you're an old guy (gender neutral usage).

We got our first TV in '51 or '52...black and white, with something like three channels which were on about 6-8 hours a day.

At that time, there was at least an attempt at limiting editorializing to well identified segments of the news.
__________________
Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
Shrink is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
einfostreet Publishes latest technology news,media,lifestyle news Hozefa Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac 1 Mar 6, 2014 12:03 PM
[NEW, FREE] News Post, Read and Save the Most Shared News on Twitter. ilcesco iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Oct 17, 2013 06:05 PM
Good News: found my next device, Bad News: It's not Apple :( KarlJay Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 31 Jul 29, 2013 04:37 AM
Bad news good news. 50% of 60B to just 25 firewood App Store Business, Legal and Marketıng 4 Dec 18, 2012 12:41 PM
Why is Fox News the number one News Channel? tshrimp Politics, Religion, Social Issues 95 Oct 5, 2012 06:49 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC