Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old Sep 21, 2011, 01:48 PM   #126
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risasi View Post
What I'm saying is I think they should tier it all. Netlflix, just make those deals happen with HBO, Stars, etc. I'll still pay the $8-$20 for unlimited insta-watch of older A-list/mediocre content, and bill me when I want to rent Rio or Thor or Transformers 3 just out on DVD.
I could see that -- I think if Netflix offered a base plan that had unlimited viewing of some content and charged for rentals on new stuff, they would offer a really compelling service. Their streaming technology works better than Hulu and the others -- if they offered the same service Hulu offered at the same price, it would automatically be more appealing to me....
Old Sep 26, 2011, 03:37 PM   #127
It's a Robot
macrumors newbie

There are only two reasons NFLX would split the streaming and DVD businesses like this.

1) Netflix management can't figure out how to compartmentalize two seperate cost structures for two distinct businesses within the same company. Under this scenario NFLX management would probably need help putting on their shoes in the morning, as they would be idiots.

2) NFLX is looking to sell the DVD business.

As Reed Hastings isn't an idiot and NFLX management shows some wherewithall I'm going with number two. Within 3-5 years, Qwikster gets sold to some guy who's content with sucking the marrow out of the physical media business for another 15 or 20 years until it becomes unsustainable*.

*I don't think it will, but that's an entirely different discussion.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 04:29 PM   #128
Huntn
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrishnan View Post
I could see that -- I think if Netflix offered a base plan that had unlimited viewing of some content and charged for rentals on new stuff, they would offer a really compelling service. Their streaming technology works better than Hulu and the others -- if they offered the same service Hulu offered at the same price, it would automatically be more appealing to me....
My thought they had a compelling product before they ruined it...
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 04:31 PM   #129
Plutonius
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's a Robot View Post
2) NFLX is looking to sell the DVD business.
It's more likely that Netflix will sell it's streaming business to Amazon.
Plutonius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2011, 08:53 AM   #130
balamw

Or not. Make up your minds guys.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/10/n...streaming-und/

B
Old Oct 10, 2011, 11:35 AM   #131
LizKat
macrumors 68000

Right, I just saw that too on Reuters. Wow, these guys at Netflix are running a good brand into the dust trying to make a move that will impress their shareholders. Forgetting that to have a share price you need to have customers.

Netflix drops unpopular Qwikster DVD plan:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7992EB20111010

Really, why don't they get some customers in for a chat before they make their next brilliant move. If there are any customers left.

Last edited by LizKat; Oct 10, 2011 at 11:37 AM. Reason: add article title
LizKat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2011, 11:42 AM   #132
DakotaGuy
macrumors 68030

My goodness this company has lost it's mind!!! Doesn't a big company like this actually think HUGE changes like this through before they announce them? I bet the stock tumbles even more because of a lack in leadership ability.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 03:44 PM   #133
rhett7660
macrumors 604

Well on the Brite side they are not splitting the business. Wonder if the games section will fall under the other section?

Last edited by rhett7660; May 21, 2012 at 01:20 PM.
rhett7660 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2011, 07:41 PM   #134
stevensr123
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston1236 View Post
they only stream garbage anyway
Is right, I'm in australia so i don't get access to the DVD side of things, however any tv show and movie i wanted to watch, were only available on DVD. there wasn't a lot to choose from (for what i was interested in anyway).
stevensr123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2011, 09:29 PM   #135
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensr123 View Post
Is right, I'm in Australia so i don't get access to the DVD side of things, however any TV show and movie i wanted to watch, were only available on DVD. there wasn't a lot to choose from (for what i was interested in anyway).
This is not unique. They have to package the dross in some way, to turn a profit.

"Just Say No!!"
iJohnHenry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:16 PM   #136
Doctor Q
Administrator

Netflix's CEO said yesterday that they've canceled their plans to offer videogame rentals. That seems to be the last ghost of their spin-off plan.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:39 PM   #137
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Q View Post
Netflix's CEO said yesterday that they've canceled their plans to offer videogame rentals. That seems to be the last ghost of their spin-off plan.
That was the most bizarre part of their 'plan'. If the market was really worth pursuing, then why not just buy Gamefly?
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:41 PM   #138
PlaceofDis
macrumors Core

i will give netflix credit for realizing that they were making a bunch of stupid mistakes and then going ahead and adjusting those ideas when their customers reacted. shame that video game rentals won't happen but i'm not surprised either. given how many restrictions there are put on games these days i'm shocked that a used/rental market is possible still.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 09:52 PM   #139
cerote
macrumors 6502a

I was sort of excited for the game rentals too. I have GameFly and love it but the only thing I hate about it is the amount of time it takes for the send and return of games. They are by no means fast shipping like Netflix. But then again they don't have near as many distribution centers as netflix.
cerote is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2012, 12:39 PM   #140
Doctor Q
Administrator

The damage Netflix did to its image wasn't permanent.
Netflix Customer Satisfaction Rebounds
Old May 18, 2012, 12:44 PM   #141
MacDawg
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Q View Post
The damage Netflix did to its image wasn't permanent.
Netflix Customer Satisfaction Rebounds
I think once their CEO finally closed his mouth and stopped saying anything people started to forget about him

I kept the service, both streaming and DVD
I did cut the DVDs from 3 to 2 to offset costs

But RedBox is becoming far more convenient for those moments you want to see a movie
The Netflix streaming catalog is weak, and even though the DVDs arrive quick, it isn't as quick as the RedBox around the corner
MacDawg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2012, 12:52 PM   #142
bobr1952
macrumors 68000

I still use Netflix but only one disc by mail at a time--and have no problems with their service. I buy some blu rays and the rest of the movies I watch I get via iTunes--or Amazon. I use Amazon Prime free streaming too. There are enough choices now that you don't have to be limited to one service to fit your needs.
Old May 18, 2012, 05:56 PM   #143
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

The PR damage might not have been permanent, but their stock price dropped about 70% last summer and hasn't moved since. With the streaming wars really just starting to heat up I don't think Netflix will ever get back to where it was before.

Lethal
Old May 24, 2012, 02:46 AM   #144
Dr McKay
macrumors Demi-God

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
As long as this means more titles will be available for streaming, I don't mind.
Old May 24, 2012, 12:49 PM   #145
Nabooly
macrumors 6502a

I bailed on Netflix. It started taking me so long to find something to watch. Before I cancelled I was watching the most garbage acting I've seen because I couldn't find anything.

Have they improved their selection in the past few months?
Nabooly is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events